Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.
- (Added by: Snowcrest 6)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Routering

Message Subject: Routering
Muskers
Posted 5/26/2014 9:08 AM (#712851)
Subject: Routering

I have cut my first set of bait (6 in total) and was curious is it necessary in your opinions to router the edges of the wooden baits or do you prefer sanding them?

I have a router but would need to make or buy a router table...

I am working on taking pics of the process from start to finish so that once I am complete I can post on here for you all to critique me and recommend some changes :).

Paul
Trophyseeker50
Posted 5/26/2014 12:26 PM (#712862 - in reply to #712851)
Subject: Re: Routering

Router hands down. Only way to get a consistent edge. And 100x faster. You can make a very basic router table. Just need a piece of remnant counter top. If you already have the router why wouldn't you use it?
Pikopath
Posted 5/26/2014 2:49 PM (#712877 - in reply to #712851)

I made my router table from some scrap 1/2" plywood, drilled a big hole for the bit, and counter sank the bolt that attach the router to the plywood. And I just use clamps to hold the apparatus to my workbench.

Michael
Muskers
Posted 5/26/2014 9:42 PM (#712920 - in reply to #712851)

Thanks guys! I didn't have a router but found one on craigslist today and picked it up for $30. I know I could've made it but for that price...

I am going to try routering my next batch as I sanded these first ones.

One more questions comes to mind... When you epoxy lips into place on crank baits how do you hold them into position while drying? Does the epoxy setup quick enough that The lip wont move if hung up? I am planning on using Envirotex Lite if that matters. Thanks in advance!
Pikopath
Posted 5/27/2014 1:48 AM (#712933 - in reply to #712851)

I use devcon 5 minute epoxy to secure the lips, they will move the first minutes so I position them so they wont. Then I will fill the voids in the lip/lip slot area with more devcon. And lastly I epoxy the bait with something similar to E-tex. Im quite sure that e-tex alone wont hold those lips in place....

Michael
Muskers
Posted 5/27/2014 2:04 PM (#713001 - in reply to #712851)

I will look into getting some devcon 5 minute epoxy... I used a table saw to cut the lips and angle but was curious how others did it... I know this thread is all over the place but was thinking their has to be a better way. My table saws blade may be thicker than I would like as well. Maybe try my miter box or even cut the lips by hand. How do you experts do it?
Beaver
Posted 8/5/2014 1:05 AM (#724209 - in reply to #712851)

I cut my lip slots with a table saw before I router or do anything else. I cut out the lures, set the angle of the blade, and then mark where I want the lip and, and set the depth. One smooth push and you are done. I've seen guys cut 6 lip slots at a time by clamping the blanks together.
Drill holes in the lip so the Devcon has something to hold onto. Lately I've been marking a center line in pencil on all of my lips, I try to line it up with the screw eye. It helps to do only three at a time and check them a few times to make sure they set up in the right place. You can also mark the center of the lure at the head by using painters tape and a dowel tool. Getting it right the first time makes the job more enjoyable.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)