Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Border Crossing with petty misdemeanor

Message Subject: Border Crossing with petty misdemeanor
muskyrat
Posted 3/26/2014 8:59 PM (#702458 - in reply to #702438)
Subject: Re: Border Crossing with petty misdemeanor

They know everything! A guy I know got arrested in 1967 for a bar fight. Whole bar was arrested. His charges were totally dropped. When they asked if he was arrested he said no. That resulted in a 40 minute investigation. He forgot, it was over 40 years ago! A second friend was delayed because he had fake bullets molded into the door handles of his truck. Laugh it up about Washington but why not take a trip to a beautiful state for world class tiger fishing? If you want to taste your freedom while your out there more power to you.
FishFinder87
Posted 3/26/2014 9:07 PM (#702464 - in reply to #702438)

muskiewhored - 3/26/2014 8:09 PM

FishFinder87 - 3/26/2014 6:31 PM

What about crossing by angle inlet? I've heard you can just drive right in, is that still true?

Your thinking of the Mexico border...

No, I'm thinking of a peninsula/island in lake of the woods that is part of Minnesota, but you need to drive through a section of Manitoba to get to.. I think there used to just be a telephone booth on the side of the road that often didn't even work and there was an honor system, where you are supposed to use the phone to connect to border patrol and tell them who you are and what your business in Canada is... but it was seldom patrolled and people could just drive right into Canada, no border stop.... But am not sure if it is still the case now?.. This was about 10 years ago that I remember people talking about it.

Edited by FishFinder87 3/26/2014 9:07 PM
dougj
Posted 3/26/2014 9:12 PM (#702466 - in reply to #702413)

To drive to the Angle you need to go though Canadian Customs unless you are going by boat.

Doug Johnson 

Booch
Posted 3/27/2014 1:04 PM (#702613 - in reply to #701971)

Slip a $100 in your passport when you give it to him! Just kidding, I did that once by accident. I had my cash, passport and such in a zip up binder and one of the bills slipped in. I was certain that would get us pulled over, but he just smiled, handed it back and waved us on.

I'm sure you can determine your eligibility ahead of time with a few calls. If all is good, do like others have said: pack cleanly, answer questions concisely and don't babble or make small talk. They are trained to analyze your demeanor for clues.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/27/2014 1:12 PM (#702619 - in reply to #702613)

Booch - 3/27/2014 1:04 PM

Slip a $100 in your passport when you give it to him! Just kidding, I did that once by accident. I had my cash, passport and such in a zip up binder and one of the bills slipped in. I was certain that would get us pulled over, but he just smiled, handed it back and waved us on.

I'm sure you can determine your eligibility ahead of time with a few calls. If all is good, do like others have said: pack cleanly, answer questions concisely and don't babble or make small talk. They are trained to analyze your demeanor for clues.

1. When you pull up to the customs folks with 6 combos in the passenger seat, tell them you are headed to Andy Myers Lodge, and they ask again what you are planning on doing up there after you've already told them you are going fishing, do NOT point at the rods (that they clearly have already seen) and say "What do YOU think?"

Edited by esoxaddict 3/27/2014 1:18 PM
eightweight
Posted 3/27/2014 5:11 PM (#702710 - in reply to #702133)

A new Breed "Medicinal Muskie!!!"

Masqui-ninja - 3/25/2014 8:41 PM

dfkiii - 3/25/2014 6:59 PM

Alternatively, Colorado and Washington state have growing musky populations.
Others are strictly medicinal?
Sorry, terrible.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 3/30/2014 5:45 PM (#703328 - in reply to #702438)

Absolute right thing to do is calling the Immigration office at the crossing you will be using. Ask to speak to an immigration officer...not all CBSAs are able to make the decision to allow someone through. Those decisions, once an issue is discovered, must be made by an officer cross-trained in immigration or a dedicated immigration officer.

Things have changed over the past few years in terms of attitudes. Most offices are now trying to work within the law to allow people to make their trips if possible...previously, it was often almost the opposite.

The Fort Frances & Rainy River crossings in our area have been noticeably more understanding of the importance of travel and tourism in the district have been working within the laws as they are written to get people to be able to make their trips fishing.

Good luck and please do post on your experiences. Good stories are more important than bad ones so we can offer the best advice we can to those seeking guidance on how to be able to enjoy Canada's waters.
hunter
Posted 4/11/2014 11:11 PM (#706265 - in reply to #701971)

Go fish the V same type of water and you can don't have to cross a border!
Or better yet, find out where Lake x is at in the photo gallery on this site!
I hope your the guy ahead of me in line if you go!
muskyrat
Posted 4/13/2014 6:54 AM (#706436 - in reply to #706265)

I have another question. I already have my Ontario liscense and will be fishing mainly the NY side of the St Lawrence. If I travel into Canada simply for navigation or to troll around some structure do I still have to call them? The border is rite in the main channel at some points you can cross back and forth five times in a day no problem. Do all the guides call every time they cross? I don`t plan on setting foot on soil or hooking up with another boat. Whats protocol and what can you reasonably get away with?
Brozz88
Posted 4/13/2014 7:49 AM (#706441 - in reply to #706436)

No you dont have to call.don't pull up to shore and get outa your boat or anything but you can go over and fish Canadian waters with no trouble. As long as you have a liscence. Make sure you've only got one line each in the water tho!we got a ticket for trolling 2 rods each last year, wasn't aware of the one line ea rule
muskyrat
Posted 4/13/2014 8:07 AM (#706444 - in reply to #706441)

Thanks Brozz. I have been fishing in Ontario many times so I am aware of the one rod rule. I just was not sure of protocol while launching in NY.
FishFinder87
Posted 4/13/2014 10:40 AM (#706467 - in reply to #701971)

Yeah, its my understanding that the regulations you follow are determined based on what side you enter the water from. Just need to realize there are special regs for border waters, such as one line in the water.
muskyrat
Posted 4/13/2014 11:24 AM (#706479 - in reply to #706467)

I think you are wrong. The regulations are based on where you are fishing not where you launch. I know on interstate waters I fish you can use a liscense from where you launch but follow regs for where you are fishing. Example I can troll four rods in N.J. but when I troll into NY I have to reduce to two even though I only have a N.J. liscense and launched in N.J. Considering I must have a Canadian liscense and it`s an international border I'm pretty darn sure Canadian regs apply no matter where I launch from.
Dog Lake
Posted 4/13/2014 11:30 AM (#706481 - in reply to #701971)

Yes, just so you don't run into trouble, what side you enter the water from has no bearing on the regulations you follow. If you are in Canadian waters the Provincial zone regulations apply. Same for American waters and State regs.
FishFinder87
Posted 4/13/2014 12:33 PM (#706493 - in reply to #701971)

I may be mistaken, thanks for clearing that up.
LarryJones
Posted 4/13/2014 6:15 PM (#706574 - in reply to #701971)

Lets get this correct here, if your passing through Canadian Waters in transit you do not have to call Can-Pass as long as you do not anchor or touch shore.But if you are fishing in Canadian Waters, yes you must call and get a control number for entering Canada.The fine can be $10, 000.00!
muskyrat
Posted 4/13/2014 7:41 PM (#706596 - in reply to #706574)

Why don`t you post the # for us when you get a chance.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/14/2014 7:32 AM (#706642 - in reply to #701971)

Bottom line is this person was found with drugs in his possession and paraphernalia....THAT HAS been recorded somewhere, trust me....Now, its all up to the discretion/mood of the border person is in whether or not to let this person in AND ultimately up to you to take the chance....

If it were me and this was a fishing partner, I'd be finding myself a new mate....Nothing is going to jeopardize my muskie trips to Canada, Nothing. If the perpetrator was myself, I'd still take a chance and try knowing I may get turned back or interrogated.

~Good Luck!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 4/14/2014 7:36 AM
only52s
Posted 7/18/2014 7:31 PM (#721334 - in reply to #701971)

Update. We got across the border just fine. No issues whatsoever. They scanned both our passports and nothing but standard questions and have a great time and they sent us on our way.
muskyrat
Posted 7/20/2014 8:54 AM (#721476 - in reply to #721334)

Good for you. I doubt you were a threat to national security.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 7/21/2014 11:48 AM (#721631 - in reply to #701971)

I had the same thing happen to me and some friends going on a BWCA trip last fall.

Now fast forward a year and a friend and I have been thinking about going up to LOW this fall so I called the border agents and they told me any criminal charge with drugs or alcohol makes me inadmissible to Canada...Lucky you
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)