Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I'm shaking my Weagle....
- (Added by: VMS)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Advice

Message Subject: Advice
Muskers
Posted 4/22/2014 9:20 AM (#708069)
Subject: Advice

Ok guys I did a quick search of some older posts but wondering if there are any basics/general advice you wish to share...
I am going to try painting a few of my own baits (Jakes) in the next few weeks and was curious if their were any recommendations or things to consider and be aware of before I give it my first try.

Thanks!
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/22/2014 9:27 AM (#708070 - in reply to #708069)
Subject: Re: Advice

What are you wondering or wanting to know? There are alot of steps and processes to painting baits. Loaded question without more specifics on your part IMO....
Muskers
Posted 4/29/2014 10:10 AM (#709298 - in reply to #708069)

Maybe I can add some more context and specifics....

Primers - Are they necessary for a plastic bait thats already off white? Are they required for wood baits?

Sealers - What would be the impact of not sealing a wooden bait?

Assuming I have gotten through the painting with good success... What is the best epoxy or top coat you guys recommend?
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/29/2014 1:02 PM (#709333 - in reply to #708069)

Cool!

1 - My baits are solid resin/plastic...YES, I always prime the bait just so I know I have good adhesion. Could you paint right on the plastic without priming? Probably. I just play it safe and start with a nice clean white canvas to paint on.

2 - Lots of effects....water logging easier, seepage of oils from the wood, lacking smoothness...Some guys seal their wood baits with epoxy (thats what I would use)

3 - several epoxies out there - Crystal Sheen, Envirotex, EX-74, Diamond 2 - All work good and have different thicknesses and properties...you just have to find one that fits your liking....I started out with Envirotex and have recently moved to EX-74

Good Luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)