Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> New Toy HDS 10 Install questions... Phase 2

Reply New post
Message Subject: New Toy HDS 10 Install questions... Phase 2
MuskyMike51
Posted 5/1/2014 11:22 PM (#709841)
Subject: New Toy HDS 10 Install questions... Phase 2

See below, phase two question posed after installation review. Thanks!

Gents, I never thought i would see the day that i would own an HDS 10 but a good deal came up and i grabbed it (used of course). I am super excited. Major upgrade for me. going from an Eagle 642Ci at the counsel and elite 4 on bow to an HDS 10 at the counsel. Going to keep elite till i get a network-able unit for bow. Question i have is regarding ducer interference. I was thinking about leaving the Eagle there and mounting the HDS next to it for time being. My concern is having the two skimmer ducers next to each other on the transom and potential for interference. Are my concerns warranted? I have a pretty good size poly mounting block. Looks like an attwood mounting block from what i have seen.

Why have an HDS 10 and the little Eagle... well, why the hell not? At some point i will likely sell the eagle and put the money towards structure scan but for now i figure why not run it. Appreciate feed back.

Edited by MuskyMike51 5/12/2014 2:12 PM
kjgmh
Posted 5/2/2014 8:02 AM (#709869 - in reply to #709841)
Subject: Re: New Toy HDS 10 Install questions

You really don't know how bad the interference will be until you try it. Some seem to not have too much issues, others are really bad.
Cal
Posted 5/2/2014 8:37 AM (#709882 - in reply to #709869)

Most likley they will interfere. See if their is a stop transducer function or unplug the eagle. Does that eagle do GPS?

I would sell the Eagle & Elite 4 and put and HDS 5 upfront an ethernet cable and be done with it.

VMS
Posted 5/2/2014 9:23 AM (#709891 - in reply to #709841)

Hiya,

With both transducers being 200 kHz, and mounting that close you will find some interference of some kind....whether noticeable or not. I think what you may find when you get the HDS 10 mounted, that you find yourself using the split screen...one screen up for GPS and the other for depth contours, and it will still be quite a bit larger picture than your eagle 642. Heck..if you ended up with the down/side imaging as well, you'd have a 3rd and 4th screen up, which each individual screen would be comparable to your 642 screen alone...

In my humble opinion, I think leaving the 642 in place will not be beneficial. With that thought in mind... when you mount your new toy, you might be able to cover the existing holes the 642 made in your console so everything looks nice and clean....wires included. You will be going to some sort of larger mount for the HDS 10, and from what I have found on many boats who run that size screen, a large ram mount is necessary to keep things in place and secure. That HDS 10 will take up a bit of room...

Steve

Edited by VMS 5/2/2014 9:27 AM
drreilly
Posted 5/2/2014 12:02 PM (#709915 - in reply to #709841)

I recently had a similar issue. I called Lowrance and spoke to them. Very helpful
MuskyMike51
Posted 5/5/2014 9:33 AM (#710168 - in reply to #709841)
Subject: RE: New Toy HDS 10 Install questions

Verdict is in... I got hds10 mounted on Friday and used the hds 10 and eagle 642ci next to each other that evening. The hds is freaking sweet. The large screen allows a person to get information at a glance vs having to get right in close to the screen, especially when navigating on chart. In terms of interference, both units read bottom but the eagle definitely shows some interference. Sonar returns on the eagle appear larger or more distorted, maybe because it's grabbing both ducer pings? We'll see, I would like to have kept the 642 for 2d as i am planning on installing lss2 eventually but may have consider selling now.

So far so good with purchase decision. No buyers remorse...

MM
VMS
Posted 5/6/2014 11:57 AM (#710339 - in reply to #709841)

Hiya,

You are seeing the distinct advantage of the HDS 10. With the HDS 10, you can run the transducer and the downscan at the same time...they will be different transducers altogether. So...in split screen mode, you can have one window for down scan, the other for GPS, a third for normal depth sounder, and a 4th for whatever you choose... Can't get much better than that...

Steve
MuskyMike51
Posted 5/12/2014 9:51 AM (#711169 - in reply to #709841)

Ok... Phase 2. I will eventually swap out all units for hds units. My phase 2 question is regarding the structure scan units. I have been doing a fair amount of research on lss1 vs lss2 and it sounds like biggest improvement is to 455 kHz resolution and resulting ' viewing distance'. Sounds like lss1 in 800khz is comparable to lss2 455, with the exception of range. Majority of my fishing is done in 40' of water or less... Once summer months roll around I spend lots of time casting. Sliding along edges with tm, sounds like speeds are to slow get image quality like u get at 3-4mph (trolling speeds). I can get my hands on lss1 for less than half off lss2. I know this is somewhat of a value proposition, but is it worth it? Is lss2 2x what lss1 is? I have never had this technology in my boat before and have only seen it used in others rigs, curious what guys have to say?

I tried a search on the forums here and came up with limited results. If there is a thread going please let me know.

Thanks

MM

Edited by MuskyMike51 5/12/2014 9:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)