Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Don't try to run, you'll just die tired" NC State Trooper
- (Added by: ESOX Maniac)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Question for Paul Fec :)

Message Subject: Question for Paul Fec :)
abergendahl
Posted 4/17/2014 11:27 AM (#707338)
Subject: Question for Paul Fec :)

Paul,
Every time I log on here and see your lures I'm in awe of the gorgeous paint jobs, but lately, i've really been appreciating your bait designs as well. I'm interested in playing around with some of my own designs for my own use and was wondering how you cast your masters to reproduce out of resin? Did you carve it out of wood, or putty, etc? Just hopin you can help a fellow luremaker (and fan. haha) out!

Keep making those amazing baits, i'll be buying a few from you soon

Edited by abergendahl 4/17/2014 11:55 AM
ToddM
Posted 4/17/2014 12:04 PM (#707346 - in reply to #707338)
Subject: Re: Question for Paul Fec :)

I have a question for him as well. You have a sister?

Edited by ToddM 4/17/2014 12:05 PM
abergendahl
Posted 4/17/2014 12:12 PM (#707347 - in reply to #707346)

If he does, she's mine
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/17/2014 12:19 PM (#707350 - in reply to #707338)

Hahahahahaha ToddM you crack me up dude!!

Adam,

I started my lure making with intentions of making my baits out of cedar wood. When I realized that the wood was brutal on my sinuses; I looked for an alternative material. With the help of Andy Zomcik from Fat A.Z. Musky Products, we came up with a mold from an original wooden "master". Now, all of my masters are of resin...Using all these materials can certainly be tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, its pretty slick. If you intend to use a wooden master, it will most likely only be good for one cast....however, a resin body can last forever if you're careful with it. All of my molds are silicone molds that I make myself with the help of my mold making fabricator Joel Morrow....He also pour many of the Hammer bodies for me. It is important to be able to make a solid design to create your molds. I learn as I go and its fun....I have since designed two molds which make life much easier for me, a one piece mold and a two piece which allows for minimal seems and a lip slop built in.

Finally, if I want to change a design, I can simply take a larger resin body or vise versa and sand it into the shape I desire. Thats how I came up with the Lil' Hammer which is originally a regular Hammer body.

If you have anymore questions, feels free to email me...I will be out fishing from tonight until Tues!

Thanks!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 4/17/2014 12:22 PM
abergendahl
Posted 4/17/2014 12:23 PM (#707352 - in reply to #707350)

Awesome, you rock. Thanks so much for that great insight. Really appreciate it. I'm sure I will have some more questions, so I will shoot you a message when they arise Looking forward to getting into my own baitmaking and putting some fish in the boat!

Thanks for your help!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)