Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Treat yourself to guide!

Message Subject: Treat yourself to guide!
Junkman
Posted 3/20/2014 8:38 AM (#700787)
Subject: Treat yourself to guide!

So, my wife dragged me off to Florida last week so she could work on her tan, and then informed me I would have to fend for myself Saturday. She was going to have her face acid-washed and sandpapered...I think they fill the potholes too. Anyway, I took the abandonment as an opportunity to find a fishing trip. This is really easy cuz all you have to do is punch in the city and fishing guide and your in like Flint.

So, I walk to the pier (sure they pick you up at your hotel) and the super-friendly guy says, "Welcome Mr. Forman, are you ready to catch a bunch of fish?" And then I thought I went to heaven. As we slowly motored past all the rich guy's homes in the bay and out toward the barrier islands, he explained the details of what we'd be doing and made sure to point out the cooler stuffed with your favorite beverages.

We were casting live shrimp under overhanging Mangrove branches into the little bit of shade they provided. Naturally, I was nervous about getting the rig hung up in the bushes and losing it after a winter away from casting and tossed the first several casts too short of where the bite was. After strong encouuragement, I casted more boldly and did hang two or three in the bush. "No worries," he sad each time as he handed me a freshly baited rod and then proceeded to clean my mess. He took off every fish, baited every hook and continued to offer refreshments.

My wife thought she was off being pampered in luxury, but it was me...do yourself a favor once in while and hire a pro to take you out. When my wife came back and asked if my day was horribly lonely, I said, "Not that bad honey, I watched Rifleman reruns on cable."
woodieb8
Posted 3/20/2014 8:50 AM (#700788 - in reply to #700787)
Subject: Re: Treat yourself to guide!

cool story.
bigdogg2278
Posted 3/20/2014 8:59 AM (#700791 - in reply to #700787)

what does a guide trip cost down there?
dfkiii
Posted 3/20/2014 9:32 AM (#700796 - in reply to #700787)

Where in FL were you Marty ?
sworrall
Posted 3/20/2014 9:32 AM (#700797 - in reply to #700787)

My friend, you are dating yourself with the 'Rifleman rerun' comment...sounds like a great day!
Larbo
Posted 3/20/2014 9:40 AM (#700801 - in reply to #700787)

That is the first time I have read the word abandonment in a good fish story. I always get a honey do list to complete. Lucky guy.....
Junkman
Posted 3/20/2014 9:50 AM (#700803 - in reply to #700801)

Steve..don't know what you mean by "dating myself," suppose it DEPENDS! Also, the Rifleman helped establish values I still try to keep in mind. As to place, it was Naples (South of Ft. Meyers and North of Marco Island) and the trip cost $400.00 for most of a day. Caught grouper, sheepshead, snapper, snook and an odd species of trout native to the area. And OBTW, temps were right at 87 degrees.
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2014 10:20 AM (#700811 - in reply to #700787)

Too many jokes to come up with about rifleman. Great story Marty and sounds like a great trip. If you plan on letting your wife read this you might want to edit the potholes comment.:-)
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/20/2014 6:52 PM (#700918 - in reply to #700787)

"...suppose it DEPENDS! ". Junker...now that is a whole 'nother kinda' old when u need those.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/20/2014 7:39 PM (#700928 - in reply to #700787)

Man, there is NOTHING like fishing the mangroves. My parents have a place down in Ft Myers beach, just a few miles North of there. Snook, redfish, colbia, and everything and anything else you can imagine. It's easy fishing, and it's a RIOT. I love the Northwoods, and I love Muskies. But that kind of fishing trumps ALL, because you are bound to catch fish, you never know what you'll catch, they fight like mad, and most of them will make a really nice dinner at the end of the day.

If I won the lottery, I'd spend the summer in Canada and the cold months down in South Florida.
esox911
Posted 3/20/2014 8:23 PM (#700940 - in reply to #700928)

I fish that Ft myers / Naples area every year---Will be heading down in a few weeks----there is nothing like that kind of fishing--I like the SKIS---but nothing compares to what I do down in FL. Retiring in less than 3 years and will be spending the winter in that area----I will be in heaven, but will certainly be back in the northwoods come june thru oct.
PJV
Posted 3/20/2014 8:44 PM (#700947 - in reply to #700928)

"If I won the lottery, I'd spend the summer in Canada and the cold months down in South Florida.

Ain't that the truth! I haven't won the lottery

Edited by PJV 3/20/2014 8:46 PM
cincinnati
Posted 3/20/2014 8:55 PM (#700950 - in reply to #700811)

ToddM - 3/20/2014 11:20 AM
If you plan on letting your wife read this you might want to edit the potholes comment.:-)

Hiding stuff from the wife is Basement talk, Todd!
irishesox
Posted 3/20/2014 9:42 PM (#700969 - in reply to #700787)
Subject: RE: Treat yourself to guide!

I have waited all winter for a junkman story , it was worth the wait.
Welcome back Marty ,,,,,
polarkraftdave
Posted 3/21/2014 5:18 AM (#700993 - in reply to #700787)

Can`t beat the Ft Meyers area I head there also every year for the fishing and baseball spring training. It`s the best thing for the winter blues
Sunshine
Posted 3/21/2014 6:14 AM (#700998 - in reply to #700993)

Yup, love the muskies but ocean fish fight harder and longer. Been doing the Florida gig for a few years now and always try to get a different species on every trip. Got my first shark to the boat a month ago. A 100 pound black tip on a spinning reel gives you a 45 minute battle. Great memories.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (223KB - 191 downloads)
hoosierhunter
Posted 3/21/2014 7:07 AM (#701006 - in reply to #700787)

Sunshine,
How much fun are the big sharks!! I caught one estimated at 125lbs last year off cape canaveral and it absolutely kicked my but. Pulled harder then I thought a fish could for probably about 45 min. If anyone is in that area give Captain Dave Ross a call he will show you an awesome time.
Netman
Posted 3/21/2014 7:15 AM (#701007 - in reply to #700787)

I've been trying to get out of Fort Myers to go Tarpon fishing, but everytime we're down there the season isn't open. I'll have to change the vacation date and fill that bucket list with the "salt water muskie".
It sounds like you had a great time and the wife probably looks 20 years younger.

Netman
hoosierhunter
Posted 3/21/2014 8:40 AM (#701026 - in reply to #700787)

Cape canaveral is also a very underated tarpon spot, the day that I caught my shark my brother in law caught a 150 pound class tarpon and my dad caught two that were in the 75 pound class. It was the first part of august and we were fishing near shore if this helps.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/21/2014 10:01 AM (#701039 - in reply to #701026)

I just got back from fishing Lee/Collier county myself. I just love the Redfish and Snook action down there. I'm hoping to sneak in a Tarpon trip here in a month or so. Great stuff!
ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/21/2014 10:14 AM (#701044 - in reply to #700787)

This story reminded me of the time my dad and I took a guide out named Alex Dolinski based in Ft. Meyers Fla. We did the same type of fishing for reds and snook...had a good day and those fish were tasty on the grill! Thanks for the memory of my late pops!
Scooter70
Posted 3/22/2014 6:41 AM (#701191 - in reply to #700787)

I am 43 and love the Rifleman. I watch every Saturday morning and i am watching it while typing
eightweight
Posted 3/22/2014 8:55 AM (#701214 - in reply to #700787)

Just don't let the wife read that first paragraph!!!!!!!!!.
I firmly believe in using guides they know the area, have all the equipment including the boat, I cannot get away but 4-5 times a year on a good year , and best part is you walk away!!!!!!

Junkman - 3/20/2014 8:38 AM

So, my wife dragged me off to Florida last week so she could work on her tan, and then informed me I would have to fend for myself Saturday. She was going to have her face acid-washed and sandpapered...I think they fill the potholes too. Anyway, I took the abandonment as an opportunity to find a fishing trip. This is really easy cuz all you have to do is punch in the city and fishing guide and your in like Flint.

So, I walk to the pier (sure they pick you up at your hotel) and the super-friendly guy says, "Welcome Mr. Forman, are you ready to catch a bunch of fish?" And then I thought I went to heaven. As we slowly motored past all the rich guy's homes in the bay and out toward the barrier islands, he explained the details of what we'd be doing and made sure to point out the cooler stuffed with your favorite beverages.

We were casting live shrimp under overhanging Mangrove branches into the little bit of shade they provided. Naturally, I was nervous about getting the rig hung up in the bushes and losing it after a winter away from casting and tossed the first several casts too short of where the bite was. After strong encouuragement, I casted more boldly and did hang two or three in the bush. "No worries," he sad each time as he handed me a freshly baited rod and then proceeded to clean my mess. He took off every fish, baited every hook and continued to offer refreshments.

My wife thought she was off being pampered in luxury, but it was me...do yourself a favor once in while and hire a pro to take you out. When my wife came back and asked if my day was horribly lonely, I said, "Not that bad honey, I watched Rifleman reruns on cable."

Edited by eightweight 3/22/2014 9:07 AM
MuskieMike
Posted 3/23/2014 1:14 AM (#701390 - in reply to #700787)

"If I won the lottery, I'd spend the summer in Canada and the cold months down in South Florida."

I'd buy a 43 foot toy hauler, a golf cart, a brand new Harley Street Glide, and a 24 foot yellowfin. Start in Fla, and gradually head north until I hit AML in late July. Stay until about the end of September or so, then head back down to Fla fishing the whole way. I bought my Mega Millions ticket today :).

eightweight
Posted 3/23/2014 5:21 AM (#701394 - in reply to #701390)

Mike, hope you win as the plan you have is perfect!!!!
Good Luck !!!

Bill

MuskieMike - 3/23/2014 1:14 AM

"If I won the lottery, I'd spend the summer in Canada and the cold months down in South Florida."

I'd buy a 43 foot toy hauler, a golf cart, a brand new Harley Street Glide, and a 24 foot yellowfin. Start in Fla, and gradually head north until I hit AML in late July. Stay until about the end of September or so, then head back down to Fla fishing the whole way. I bought my Mega Millions ticket today :).

Sunshine
Posted 3/23/2014 2:20 PM (#701479 - in reply to #700787)

If you line giant bull reds, Venice LA is the place to go.
Tarpon is my next bucket list item. I believe right now is the best time to fish for them around fort Meyers.
Junkman
Posted 3/24/2014 9:57 AM (#701634 - in reply to #700787)

Reality Check: First, there is a certain "Literary Licence" used by those who write stories! My wife, who is just charming and beautiful needs no construction work to fill pot-holes on her complexion. I just like to jest a bit in spots (I assure you..) she will never read. Next, my thoughts were not really aimed at treating yourself to a guide as much as they were at simply TREATING YOURSELF! After getting really, really close to an end of life experience last Thanksgiving and not even knowing who I was or where I was, or even able to speak if I would have had the words in my head.........well, I have given up just a bit of the "frugal ways." I'm clearly not advocating just peeing your money away on every little frivoulus temptation that comes along--especially if providing for your family is at risk. I'm just saying that saving it all up for a "someday" that just may never come is no great idea either. I'm not telling you to go out and buy a Ranger boat full of St. Croix rods and just say, "The hell with it" but I'm thinking......it's not the worst idea either!!!
MstormC
Posted 5/1/2014 8:01 AM (#709676 - in reply to #700787)

Just got back from a 4 day trip to southwest Florida. Booked a half day trip for tarpon, on Monday. In 4 hours I landed 3 tarpon with one being about 130#, jumped two others and also caught a 3' black tip shark, catfish, lady fish and a bluefish.

By far the most exciting fishing trip I have ever been on. The fight that tarpon put on is something that I cannot even begin to describe. A 40 minute fight, minimum, per fish. Already planning another trip next year, around early April for Marco Island.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2567.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2567.jpg (39KB - 188 downloads)
Jeremy
Posted 5/1/2014 8:53 AM (#709680 - in reply to #701634)

Junkman - 3/24/2014 9:57 AM

Reality Check: First, there is a certain "Literary Licence" used by those who write stories! My wife, who is just charming and beautiful needs no construction work to fill pot-holes on her complexion. I just like to jest a bit in spots (I assure you..) she will never read. Next, my thoughts were not really aimed at treating yourself to a guide as much as they were at simply TREATING YOURSELF! After getting really, really close to an end of life experience last Thanksgiving and not even knowing who I was or where I was, or even able to speak if I would have had the words in my head.........well, I have given up just a bit of the "frugal ways." I'm clearly not advocating just peeing your money away on every little frivoulus temptation that comes along--especially if providing for your family is at risk. I'm just saying that saving it all up for a "someday" that just may never come is no great idea either. I'm not telling you to go out and buy a Ranger boat full of St. Croix rods and just say, "The hell with it" but I'm thinking......it's not the worst idea either!!!

Marty, thanks for sharing your views on this trip thru. What you said says an awful lot! Not being a youngster myself anymore, it hit's home and I find my feelings paralleling yours. Glad to hear you pulled through some horrible concern there!

On the bright side, it obviously realigned your perspectives, something you only learn the hard way. Keep it up. Stay healthy!

Chuck, nice report! Looks like something I'd thoroughly enjoy too! It won't happen but I can always dream.

Jeremy.
magnum
Posted 5/1/2014 9:57 AM (#709696 - in reply to #700787)

Great story Marty. Glad to hear you are well and your humor is back. What a great trip. hope to see you out musky fishing this summer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)