Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lake Mendota Musky?

Message Subject: Lake Mendota Musky?
danmuskyman
Posted 3/5/2014 1:30 PM (#696457)
Subject: Lake Mendota Musky?

Being that the Madison chain is extremely pressured, just wondering why Mendota isn't included in stocking since being a 9000+ acre lake it could take a lot of boats off the other two? It seems that the perch/bluegill population in Dota could definitely support musky. I know there are a few in there (seen some pigs at night shooting carp) but is there a reason they don't stock it? Is Monona and Waubesa just more fertile the only reason? Thanks - Dan
Bytor
Posted 3/5/2014 2:26 PM (#696480 - in reply to #696457)
Subject: RE: Lake Mendota Musky?

The cost involved is the main reason. You are talking about a fishery that is 100% dependent on stocking.
danmuskyman
Posted 3/5/2014 2:40 PM (#696483 - in reply to #696457)
Subject: Re: Lake Mendota Musky?

Sure, I figured it was probably as simple as that. I love that the numbers of fish are great in the chain but maybe every other year or every few years the supply could go to the big lake? Seems that would help make it more of a "trophy" lake
waldo
Posted 3/5/2014 3:04 PM (#696490 - in reply to #696457)

I thought the dnr wanted Mendota as a trophy pike lake? Agree with Dan, it would be great if they stocked it, but am guessing there's more than cost.
muskie! nut
Posted 3/5/2014 5:13 PM (#696522 - in reply to #696490)

waldo - 3/5/2014 3:04 PM

I thought the dnr wanted Mendota as a trophy pike lake?

This is the main reason its not stocked with muskie as well as the limit per body of muskies stocked will fall short of what's needed. They did stock hybrids in the early 80s, but once they made it a trophy fishery for pike, bass and walleye, they cease stocking muskies and just concentrated other lakes in the chain (Monona, Waubesa, and Wingra).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)