Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Maximum trolling depth for muskie

Message Subject: Maximum trolling depth for muskie
vpsaline
Posted 1/27/2014 7:40 PM (#687737)
Subject: Maximum trolling depth for muskie

How deep can you go and stay productive in muskie trolling during the time of season when muskies are at their deepest?
Brad P
Posted 1/28/2014 1:37 PM (#687893 - in reply to #687737)
Subject: Re: Maximum trolling depth for muskie

Many different factors are needed to answer this question. I'd strongly reccomend reading Tom Gelb's book Musky Strategy. He goes into the seasonal tendencies which will get you started. From there, time on the water to figure out what works in your system.
MuskieJim
Posted 1/28/2014 1:44 PM (#687894 - in reply to #687893)

I routinely catch fish 20+ feet down in the summer. I know quite a few guys who catch fish on the St. Lawrence 30-40 feet down. We have marked muskies as deep as 60-80 feet down in that river.
horsehunter
Posted 1/28/2014 1:57 PM (#687898 - in reply to #687737)

Steve LaPan when tracking muskies in the St. Lawrence said that they lost track of muskies when they went out into Lake O because the transmitters could only be detected to a depth of 30 feet. I have marked what we believed to be muskies below 30 feet but would not target below that depth. Have seen muskies expand in the net which I think is caused by pressure differences from coming up from depth. Muskies seem able to expel this air on their own and I don't think they should be fizzed like some fish. Maybe someone can help on that last part.
buckup
Posted 1/29/2014 7:00 AM (#688067 - in reply to #687737)
Subject: it depends...

You will find them where you find ciscoes. If there is O2 below the thermocline, they could be quite deep. Fishing for them there will be a challenge. If O2 is depleted below the thermocline, then fish for them in the 2-5' above, when you mark baitfish. Trolling is the easiest way. The thermocline works like physical structure in this case. Some folks say they "suspend" over deep water. I believe they are hunting schooling fish. Big pike can also be found following the schools.
jimjimjim
Posted 1/29/2014 5:15 PM (#688230 - in reply to #688067)
Subject: RE: it depends...

VPSaline ----- do you fish rivers or lakes ?? ----- rivers usually dont have a thermocline and lakes normally develop a thermocline (usually) ------- jim
PS --- just say where you fish, then people can help you ---------
vpsaline
Posted 1/30/2014 6:20 AM (#688294 - in reply to #687737)

It was meant to be a generic question, but I fish the St-Lawrence river
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)