Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Biggest fish that got away?

Message Subject: Biggest fish that got away?
Posted 9/30/2013 9:32 AM (#665941 - in reply to #665762)
Subject: RE: Biggest fish that got away?

muskymagnet - 9/29/2013 6:18 AM

guest - 9/16/2013 8:53 AM

I am always amazed at the posts about the big ones that got away. Wow. I am anal about re-tying my lines. I get a kink on a steel leader and I toss it. I get a nick on a flourocarbon and throw it. I re-spool frequently whether it is needed or not. I never lock my drag down.

Maybe that is why I have caught the 3 biggest fish I have ever seen and never lost a big one yet. But I am sure it will happen someday. :)

How big are those fish?

Mid 50s with some girth. I have had about a 1000 fish in the boat through the years. I have witnessed three over 50s lost on leader failures by boat partners. I sure hope I don't lose a real big one, but it is likely to happen I am sure. My point is I know of several heartbreak stories that could've been avoided by changing leaders and line often. I am also not a big fan of a locked drag as I have seen fish in the net with broken or bent hooks from hanging on the net. Having the gear tuned and in proper working order helps a lot.
brmusky
Posted 9/30/2013 9:49 AM (#665945 - in reply to #662825)
Subject: Re: Biggest fish that got away?

Super long and fat - pushing 60 but I have no way of knowing for sure. It was just cruising along 2 feet down and swam right by the boat. I threw a lure in front of it but it didn't even care. A buddy of mine was trying to decide what to throw at it and I told him "we don't have what she wants. It would be like you and I walking across a parking lot and seeing a french fry on the ground - we wouldn't eat it either" I just sat there and did nothing for a minute or two.
An old-timer was telling me that a pike spearer stuck a 60" musky that next winter in the same general area of the lake and ditched it out in a swamp. He didn't know anything of my story until after he told me - I still don't know if he was just telling fish stories or if it really happened.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)