Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Terrova with iPilot Link

Reply New post
Message Subject: Terrova with iPilot Link
PJV
Posted 5/27/2013 1:31 PM (#643483)
Subject: Terrova with iPilot Link

So, I bit the bullet this weekend and picked up a new Terrova 80 with US2 and iPilot Link to replace my PD version 2. I have 1,798,632 questions. . . here are a few of them.

1. Does anyone have suggestions for an established resource or forum dedicated to these kinds of questions that I could go to?

2. Is it possible to connect a 798 ci SI (from 2010- not the 798 ci HD SI) to the ether net cord on the iPilot Link? I bought the adaptor cord for the 798 ci HD SI, but it doesn’t fit any of the inputs on the 798 ci SI.

3. Since I think the answer to number 2 is no, I’ll need to get a new depth finder to use the full functionality of the iPilot Link, which I may wait a while to do.

I currently have the 798 ci SI on the console, and a 385 on the bow. Question, do most guys connect iPilot Link to the bow unit or the console unit?

4. Can two units both be networked along with the iPilot Link if both units are compatible?

5. Can a bow mounted depth finder use the iPilot’s GPS receiver? If I bought a 800/900/1100 series for the bow, I REALLY don’t want to have a external puck out there.

6. If mounted at the console, can a 800/900/1100 series unit use the same SI Transducer as my current 798 ci SI, or would I need to re-run all the wires and put more holes in the transom?

7. Are there any recommended riggers in SE Wisconsin? I’m pretty capable, but if I were to end up with a new transducer and new holes, or Ethernet wires run from the bow back to the console, I think I’d probably try to get someone to do it for me.

8. What do you think a 2009 model (bought NIB in may 2010) PowerDrive V2 - 70 lbs thrust - 54" shaft - 24 volt - with Co-Pilot and remote is worth on the used market? I'll probably post it here soon, but if you're reading this and just have to have it, shoot me a pm.

That’s all for the moment – I’m sure there will be more.

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by PJV 5/27/2013 1:34 PM
muskyhunter47
Posted 5/27/2013 3:01 PM (#643492 - in reply to #643483)
Subject: Re: Terrova with iPilot Link

I have only used mine once its nice still playing with it. I have 2 1198 SI hooked up I can run the motor from either unit I just have to switch the chip to the unit im running .its easy to hook them up I did it my self.not hard at all just had to run the cables to the box and run power to you box
PJV
Posted 5/28/2013 6:04 AM (#643600 - in reply to #643483)
Subject: RE: Terrova with iPilot Link

Thanks 47,

2 1198's is way out of the question for me, so I'll probably start with one new sonar and try to add a second networked unit when possible and deemed necessary.

If the bow is the preferred location, I may get a 788ci HD to work with the US2 (head only for $600), or if they'll use the iPilot's GPS I might try to get an 800 or 900 up there.

If the console makes more sense, I'd probably go with an 800 or 900 at the console, with gps puck in the back, and switch my current 798 ci SI up to the bow with US2 (no SI, and no iPilot compatibility).

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences?
carl
Posted 5/28/2013 7:05 AM (#643605 - in reply to #643483)

I'm running a single 998c si (the non hd one) on my console with my ipilot link. With the follow the contour feature I don't really miss having a bow mounted unit like I thought I would.
PJV
Posted 5/28/2013 5:40 PM (#643736 - in reply to #643483)
Subject: RE: Terrova with iPilot Link

I contacted a Johnson Outdoors employee who is active on another message board with many of the questions I posted here. Below are his responses in case anyone else finds them helpful.

1. Will my current 798 ci SI (from 2010 - not the 798 ci HD SI) work with i-Pilot Link? I think the answer is no, but I'm not sure. I bought the Ethernet adaptor cable for the 798 ci HD SI, but it does not fit any of the ports on my 798 ci SI.

Answer: No your 798ci Si unit will not be able to be linked to the I-Pilot Link. This takes an Ethernet capable unit to do this.

2. If only purchasing one new depthfinder unit to hook up to the iPilot link, do you think most guys would rather have it at the bow or at the console? Eventually I may try to network two units, but only one is in the cards for right now, so I need to decide whether to put it on the bow or the console.

Answer: I would think that you would want it up at the bow where you will be using the i-Pilot Link trolling motor.

3. If I were to purchase a new 700/800/900 series HD SI unit for the console, would it work with the same transducer currently in use with my 798 ci SI, or would I need to install a new transducer (more holes) and re-route all the cables?

Answer: Any of these units would work with the current Compact Side Imaging (CSi) transducer you have installed but it will be with some limitations. The 800/900 series Si units normally work with the larger XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer. It is longer and therefore has better Si sonar imaging capabilities plus it has the 800kHz Si sonar capability that the CSi transducer you are using now does not have. If you bought the 898/998 unit you would like the Si sonar better if you installed the HDSi transducer.

4. If I were to purchase a new 800/900 HD unit for the bow (which apparently are not offered with internal GPS receivers), would it be able to use the GPS receiver in the iPilot Link, or would I have to use the external puck?

Answer: It would still need its own external GPS Receiver. For some of the functions it would use the i-Pilot Link’s GPS Receiver but for most it would use its own GPS Receiver.

PJV
Posted 5/29/2013 9:13 AM (#643849 - in reply to #643605)

Thanks Carl,

Question: are you using a terrova or a pd?

I ask because I can't seem to find an answer to the following: if I have the unit networked to a console unit, and the terrova is stowed (no green light), do the ipilot features still work at the console? For instance, could I pull up to a shoreline, start an itrack recording, drive down the shore with the big motor (terrova stowed and not receiving power), and then deploy the tm and follow that itrack? Or mark spot locks through the SI while driving the big motor (terrova stowed and no green light), and later access those spot locks through the remote at the bow?

Any clarification on possibilities and processes would be great.

Thanks,

PJV
veha45
Posted 5/29/2013 9:39 AM (#643858 - in reply to #643849)

do the ipilot features still work at the console? For instance, could I pull up to a shoreline, start an itrack recording, drive down the shore with the big motor (terrova stowed and not receiving power), and then deploy the tm and follow that itrack? Yes and no. Your TM needs to be deployed and you need to hit "record track" but then you can drive down the shoreline with the big motor and it will record it.

Or mark spot locks through the SI while driving the big motor (terrova stowed and no green light), and later access those spot locks through the remote at the bow? Yes you can do this.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)