Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Flaptail Question!

Message Subject: Flaptail Question!
gordy9722
Posted 8/1/2005 3:09 PM (#155299)
Subject: Flaptail Question!

I want to try and make a flaptail bait, but I have never seen one work and need some tips on design. I have searched past threads, but I still have a couple questions. Hopefully some of you guys can help me out. I need to know how the bait should sit in the water, should it be really buoyant or sit lower in the water? I am planning on using brass for the flaptail, is there anything I need to do to it as far as bending it or anything? Should the blade on the back act kinda like a spoon, breaking the surface occasionally, or does it kind of flutter on top of the surface. I honestly could use any bit of information any of you might have on these lures. I just thought it looked like a pretty neat lure, and it's something that I haven't tried making yet. Any tips or suggestions would be great!

Thanks for the help,
Doug
mikie
Posted 8/1/2005 3:21 PM (#155301 - in reply to #155299)
Subject: RE: Flaptail Question!

You can buy flaptail tails at lure parts shops like Stamina. I think I'd want to start with a 'factory' tail the add the bait to it.
I have a Smittys flaptail, it sits on top of the water and has a lip that dives the bait on a pull. Check out Rollie & Helen's or other tackle shops for pics and stuff, that should get you started. m
Beaver
Posted 8/1/2005 8:41 PM (#155354 - in reply to #155299)

You don't want the tail to spin. As you described, you want it to flip out every once in a while. Mine sit a little tail down at rest, and when I retrieve them the front of the lure pushes water while the blade kicks out from side to side. The butt of the lure will actually move from side to side when the blade kicks out. You never know which side is going to kick out or when. Besides being great surface lures, they also shine when you get them next to the boat. Bury the rod tip and go into a figure 8 that allows the tail to gurgle high in the corners.
Beav
esoxangler44
Posted 8/2/2005 7:47 AM (#155400 - in reply to #155299)

you might want to add a piece of metal to the back of the lure as well!, tis adds a little something as it will havce the blade bang on it once in a while.
kevin
Posted 8/2/2005 10:26 AM (#155438 - in reply to #155299)

Do not use a ball bearing swivel. As mentioned above you want that blade to be very eratic, busting the surface every once in while..
gordy9722
Posted 8/2/2005 11:02 PM (#155542 - in reply to #155299)

Thanks for the help guys, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing now. One thing I was wondering about is that I was lookin at some of the pictures of flaptails on the site and noticed some had stinger hooks and some didn't. Would I be better off adding a stinger hook to help for hooking percentages?

Thanks,
Doug

Edited by gordy9722 8/2/2005 11:03 PM
esoxangler44
Posted 8/3/2005 6:02 AM (#155549 - in reply to #155299)

The ones I use have the stinger hook set down and behind on the lure. And yes to your question of putting them on. Almost all; my fish on that lure have come on the stinger hook. Good luck
sworrall
Posted 8/3/2005 4:32 PM (#155631 - in reply to #155549)

I've applied a stinger to every Dog Turd and Snodlow I have, and find that most of my fish are firmly hooked up on that little treble. Here's a shot of Beav's Dog Turd I made back in the early 80's, if he ever will let me give the thing to him (black lure) and a Snodlow in bad need of a refinish that belongs to Steve if he ever gets up here to pick up that and the rest of the exclusive Flaptail style collectables I have here for him.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG37.JPG)

(IMG38.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG37.JPG (30KB - 257 downloads)
Attachments IMG38.JPG (29KB - 222 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 8/3/2005 4:45 PM (#155633 - in reply to #155299)

Here's a couple more, made for me in the early 80's by Tuff Tail Tackle, owner now firmly retired. Hey Steve B, this is what you are picking up if you ever get that truck pointed north. The venison is on the grill, man...

(IMG39.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG39.JPG (52KB - 262 downloads)
esox69
Posted 8/3/2005 6:03 PM (#155640 - in reply to #155633)

steve
i'm working on a date to head north, kinda crazy planning the daughters wedding these days. i SHALL return tho!!!!
steve b
PS- you have mail...
jdsplasher
Posted 5/2/2013 10:20 PM (#638901 - in reply to #155640)

Steve, you want those refurbished, send them to me.

May have to pick them up with the neighbors dog shovel though...

sworrall
Posted 5/2/2013 11:04 PM (#638907 - in reply to #155299)
Subject: Re: Flaptail Question!

Funny story how that lure got it's name. I have 'em all here somewhere.

The Snodlow was originally built for me with big single hooks on the top for a trip to the Goon with the 'original' Indian Point Goon Crew, Smith, Rhode Toad, and Mother Hanson. It worked.
esox69
Posted 5/3/2013 10:02 AM (#638965 - in reply to #638907)
Subject: Re: Flaptail Question!

Holy hog wobbler, can't believe it's been that long since I've been up there! You have a PM, sir!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)