Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Casting Big baits ?

Message Subject: Casting Big baits ?
curleytail
Posted 4/26/2013 6:56 AM (#637571 - in reply to #637564)
Subject: RE: Casting Big baits ?

Cutler - 4/26/2013 3:50 AM

curleytail - 4/24/2013 9:34 PM
Ok, you are right. I bow to you obvious expertise and sound advise, guest. Unfortunately, I am hard headed and will continue to use my sub-par 9' XXH rod that launches Pounders with very little effort.

By the way, it's easier to read between the lines when the lines are written with proper grammar and sentence structure.

Says the guy who threw up a post with errors and misspellings.

With the thought that there are probably 10 different rod configurations suitable for casting pounder bulldawgs, I'm merely trying to give some people out there other options that can potentially save them from making a $300+ dollar mistake and only be able to sell that brand new rod on here for $200.

There are no absolute rules as to which rod is best and nobody has all the correct answers when it comes to casting a lure into the water and reeling it in for something that is programmed to eat to survive. It is personal preference when it comes to tackle with the exception of durability.

Do you think someone like Jerry Sondag is the best person to be giving advise to Joseph Alfe as to which rods are best for casting a pounder? Sure the advise is great and I sure do appreciate it when I'm given advise, but the differences in how far the lure will cast, how tough or how easy it is to cast, your range in hookset, and how you figure 8 is going to be different completely different between those two individuals.

Just because you can launch a pounder with a 9 foot rod as far as your eyes can see does not necessarily mean it is the best rod for the application. It is not. Some of the guys who had some input and influence on the products and the success of the company actually use rods less than 8'. They do that for good reason too. Great accuracy (because you absolutely need to cast as far as you can right?), FAR LESS drag on the figure 8, and a far quicker hookset. Its not a trend, its just one of many applications being utilized by people who don't read and do everything the internet tells them to.

Then again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a 9 foot XH rod nor is it difficult for me to use. But, have you ever tried throwing a pounder with a 7'1/2 foot XH rod? Try it and you will notice a world of difference. The rod does not have to be a broomstick and it shouldn't for a proper hookset. Its not that heavy of a bait and it is one of the easiest baits to retrieve.

You see quite a few posts online how people lose fish on pounders all the time. A lot of those guys are usually 6' tall, in john boats, and are using a 9 foot rod because the internet says it is so great. Sure, it is fantastic if you are super tall or are in a 21 foot ranger.

I hope you lead people in the right direction with opinions based on experience with more than just your first 9 foot, broomstick of a rod.

I can cast a pounder the length of a football field with a 7' heavy action Shakespeare Ugly Stik.

Yes, I'm eating crow being that I left the "r" off of the word your. I'm having a harder time finding the other mistakes and misspellings but I digress.

I have to give you credit - there was a lot of sense in your last reply. The same thing won't work for everyone, and it's nice that there are so many choices out there for everyone. All a new fisherman can do is ask questions, and sorth through the answers they are given. Some of it is BS, some good. It can be difficult to sorth through it all but overall, the advice given here tends to be pretty sound.

With that said, I don't believe you can tell us a 9' rod is NOT the best application for Pounders. While it might certainly not be the best for you, it might be best for a lot of other fishermen. I don't own a 7'6" XH rod. I've used several shorter rods in the past and have learned I am much more fond of longer rods. It might be easier to work some baits with shorter rods, but the 8'6" to 9' rods excell in other areas that are important to ME.

The rod I used for Pounders last year is a Tackle Industries 9' XXH. The XXH might scare you off but the rod has a surprising amount of flex in the tip. It helps to slingshot Pounders and keeps a nice bend to keep fish pinned up while having a very stout backbone for plenty of power. Maybe you need to read between the lines a little less, as this rod is NOT a broomstick.

I'd love to see a video of you launching a pounder 100 yards.

Why don't you sign up and log in? It seems to establish some more credibility when people get to know you and I'm sure you have some helpful information to add to the forums.

Edited by curleytail 4/26/2013 6:58 AM
Cutler
Posted 4/26/2013 7:15 AM (#637574 - in reply to #636707)

I'm sorry I already peed so I can't join you in a match, but here goes another post.

The last thing I am worried about is credibility. Not to mention the moderators know exactly who I am along with several other people who take advantage of this wonderful system.

I use an 8' and a 8'1/2 XXH rod for pounders depending on where I'm fishin them. I was not dismissing a 9' rod. What is the difference between and 8'1/2 and 9'??? As far as performance? Casting distance? Nothing. Nadda. You do have an advantage with a shorter rod in most area though. You just may need to bend over another 12 inches if you want to go deeper on your figure 8 or try just a tad bit harder to "COMPLETELY LAUNCH" a pounder and get that extra 2 yards out of it. Most people new to muskie fishing are going to have a hard time figure 8'ing with a 9' rod is all.
curleytail
Posted 4/26/2013 8:27 AM (#637588 - in reply to #636707)
Subject: Re: Casting Big baits ?

The more you write, the more your setup sounds pretty typical compared to what most others are using. From your previous reply it sounded like you preferred a 7'6" rod rather than the 8-8'6" you use. I use both 8'6" and 9' rods. I don't see a huge difference in performance going from 8'6" to 9' so it comes down to the blank I want to use and what length that manufacturer offers them in. I do notice a difference in figure 8's going from 8' to 8'6" rods.

Casting distance? Couldn't really tell you. Never benn interested in casting competitions and any of my rods over 8' cast baits more than far enough provided the lure weight is matched to the rod blank.

Why do you feel 9' rods will make 8's harder? Ever since I started a longer rod seemed to make 8's easier and more effective for me.

Nobody needs to pee here, I'm not trying to make anything more out of this than the discussion it is.
MartinTD
Posted 4/26/2013 8:54 AM (#637592 - in reply to #636707)

Mark Lijewski's Signature Series rods come in 7'9" and 8'3". I'd say he knows a thing or two about throwing Pounders and those are the rods he designed. BTW, the 8'3" is rated XXXXH.
Cutler
Posted 4/26/2013 8:59 AM (#637594 - in reply to #636707)

I'm simply making a case for the guys just starting out. Figure 8's are easier in a sense that you do not have to work as hard to accomplish wider turns and get your lure deeper, but the fact remains that the amount of drag created by the longer, thicker rods is significantly higher.

A 9' rod is just not logical when it comes to the majority of anglers and people on a one or two rod budget who would like to experience everything else muskie fishing has to offer. I only wish for my comments, both good, bad, and completely out of the norm to spark more conversation with more thoughts, opinions, and disagreements to converse to find the best possible solution for everyone.

To each there own. In the end, all it is is playing a game of cat and mouth and tug of war with some of Gods greatest creations.................. the pigskin, Brandon Marshall, and the Muskellunge.
Posted 4/26/2013 9:08 AM (#637599 - in reply to #637592)

MartinTD - 4/26/2013 8:54 AM

Mark Lijewski's Signature Series rods come in 7'9" and 8'3". I'd say he knows a thing or two about throwing Pounders and those are the rods he designed. BTW, the 8'3" is rated XXXXH. ;)

Exactly. A 7'1/2 and a 8'1/2 are your best rods for casting pounders. The extra 6 inches will do a few things for you though. It will make some feel like more of a man, make you consider selling your current boat for longer rod storage, or lead to to the best 9' rod ever made... the Musky Armor rod with Mike Hulberts name on it with free bracelet.

One reason Mark might use a shorter rod is he knows how to fish cover and structure extremely well and usually does not make bomb casts into oblivion. A shorter rod with those specifications is far easier for normal people to use than a 9' XXXXH.

Does anybody remember when 8' used to be long?
Booch
Posted 4/29/2013 2:33 PM (#638222 - in reply to #636707)

CM_IA: ".. I should weigh in again when I'm 35, but I like ..."

WH-WHAT?? I'm just past 35 and as Doc Holliday would say "I'm in my prime..." Young bucks these days, sheesh! Lol. Get in the gym and stick with it, and you'll be young as long as you want.

As far as rods, after last year I'm a 9'er through and through for anything musky. I've used several lengths over the years, and with today's technology you'll never convince that shorter is better.

Flambeauski
Posted 4/29/2013 3:30 PM (#638228 - in reply to #636707)

Cutler, I'm a fan, but seriously? Much like football, you think you can make these huge plays (casts) and end up on the sidelines with your head in your hands. You've got a better chance of getting Payton out retirement than throwing a pounder 100 yards with a 7 foot glass rod. Julius Peppers couldn't cast a pounder 100 yards with that rod.
Now please get back to the playbook.
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/29/2013 5:14 PM (#638239 - in reply to #638228)

Flambeauski - 4/29/2013 3:30 PM

Cutler, I'm a fan, but seriously? Much like football, you think you can make these huge plays (casts) and end up on the sidelines with your head in your hands. You've got a better chance of getting Payton out retirement than throwing a pounder 100 yards with a 7 foot glass rod. Julius Peppers couldn't cast a pounder 100 yards with that rod.
Now please get back to the playbook.

That is the truth lovedthat post shoot it out of a. cannon might make 100 yards lol
CM_IA
Posted 5/1/2013 12:49 AM (#638567 - in reply to #638222)

Booch - 4/29/2013 2:33 PM

CM_IA: ".. I should weigh in again when I'm 35, but I like ..."

I'm 21 now, and I think I intended on hitting a 4 not a 3. My point was I'm young enough that however I cast I don't notice excessive fatigue and joint stress, so maybe in a few years I could understand the shoulder, back, etc. strain associated with trying to cast a 6-16 ounce bait for 8 hours. And for whoever mentioned that good boat control and intelligent strategy preclude bombing casts should consider waders, dock fishermen and boaters fishing some of the obscene boulder fields in the shield.
A/S/L?
Posted 5/2/2013 9:43 AM (#638786 - in reply to #636707)

"And for whoever mentioned that good boat control and intelligent strategy preclude bombing casts should consider waders, dock fishermen and boaters fishing some of the obscene boulder fields in the shield."

what on earth are you talking about?

if you know the spot well there is no need to make a bomb cast when fishing boulders.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)