Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: DUDE, you need a tic tac.....with batteries!!!
- (Added by: WATERDEMON)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> how many of you guys make your own lures???

Message Subject: how many of you guys make your own lures???
huskerwatson
Posted 3/14/2013 8:52 PM (#626626)
Subject: how many of you guys make your own lures???

This winter I made about 3 dozen of my own double cowgirls.

Just wondering how many guys make their own lures and how difficult is it to make and paint your own custom crank baits?

What's the best way to get started making custom cranks, any body know of a good starter kit?
ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/15/2013 7:18 AM (#626709 - in reply to #626626)
Subject: Re: how many of you guys make your own lures???

I handmake mine....I figured out that I actually handle each bait approximately 25 times from start to finish! One of the most common questions I get from people is..."How long does it take you to make one lure?" Its almost an impossible question to answer since I don't just make one lure at a time. However, my guess would be a couple of hours per bait, minus the drying time of paint and epoxy. If I was doing this full time, I'd guess I could probably produce about 25 a day without sacrificing quality. That number would also fluctuate depending on models of baits.

That said....Its not all as easy as some people may think....:-) I still love it though! Painting, assembly and field testing are certainly my favorite and most rewarding aspects!
MRichardson
Posted 3/15/2013 9:57 AM (#626761 - in reply to #626626)
Subject: RE: how many of you guys make your own lures???

I make all my own lures too, a very satisfying hobby for me.

Rollie and Helen’s has wood blanks you can buy and then build and so does Moores

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/6/page/2/id/2904/name/ZZWoodCrankbaitBlanks

http://www.mooreslures.com/2013Catalog.pdf  page 23 or 21 has some bodies you can make stuff out of.

Here is a thread that kind of got going on here , some good info in there  http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=82654&posts=14&start=1

Go to youtube and do a search for Solarfall.  He is one of the best bait builders in the world and has some very good tutorials.

Edited by MRichardson 3/15/2013 9:58 AM
MRichardson
Posted 3/15/2013 10:11 AM (#626765 - in reply to #626709)

ShutUpNFish - 3/15/2013 7:18 AM I could probably produce about 25 a day without sacrificing quality. That number would also fluctuate depending on models of baits.

Wow Paul, that’s like over $150 grand a year in sales!  You must be rich! lol

ShutUpNFish
Posted 3/15/2013 10:24 AM (#626775 - in reply to #626626)

Key word....."if".....lol
Kenslures
Posted 3/15/2013 5:53 PM (#626916 - in reply to #626626)

I do this for a hobby for something to do. I started when I retired 13 years ago. We do craft shows and Muskie Fest and Some school shows in the fall. My biggest baits take approx 3 hours from start to finish. I don't really sell that many but I sure do enjoy making them. Hopefully someone will break the 50 in this year. So far the biggest ski was 49+ by a guy in Canada. I make bass and walleye baits also. Keeps me out of trouble. A great hobby.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)