Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Old muskie fishing articles!

Message Subject: Old muskie fishing articles!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 10/25/2012 11:07 PM (#593659)
Subject: Old muskie fishing articles!

What are some of the one's you treasure?

Here's one of mine -> December 1975 Fishing Facts magazine ($1.00)
Giant Muskies-Just How deep are they?
You might be surprised.
by Ed Grisa - Article page artwork by Virgil A. Beck .. Show's an inside out view of a muskies mouth as it's zeroing in on a jumbo perch, the perch has a wtf look on its kisser. Sweet!

Also has an article about my favorite big (+30") walleye lake - Spence Petros -Al Lindner - Carl Malz, - Jeff Zernoff - Dick Lee (winner of the 1974 Fishing Facts Medal of Honor), with photo of Al Lindner at the motor controls, big back trolling splash guards, and no trolling motor!

I also love all the old ad's - Italian hand painted magnum duck decoy's - $26.45/dozen.

Ad for John Alden Knight's Solunar Tables for 1976 - " If you were a lousy fisherman before the Solunar Tables, you will still be a lousy fisherman with them. "
How's that for truth in advertising?

Come on, I want to hear about some of your coveted muskie article's, magazine's, etc. from the old days!

Have fun!
AL

Edited by ESOX Maniac 10/25/2012 11:08 PM
sledge51
Posted 10/26/2012 1:05 AM (#593670 - in reply to #593659)
Subject: RE: Old muskie fishing articles!

Doug Stange's "Of muskies mice and men" is probably the most entertaining and memorable one for me. In-Fish, early 90's maybe?
smallmouth/musky
Posted 10/26/2012 7:43 AM (#593686 - in reply to #593659)
Subject: Re: Old muskie fishing articles!

I've been looking at the old Musky Hunter mags lately.
Those issues were THIN.

two things that have jumped out at me lately. 1 VERY few fish pictures were of 50" fish. LOTS of them were probably sub 40" fish even.
Have fish really gotten that much bigger since 1990?

The other thing is that some of the technology, and/or brands of gear that were available are long gone.

Most notable on that list.
Mercury Trolling motor
Motorguide trolling motor with power deploy scissor mount
Another one of these was a scissor mount motor with electric steer (I would be MUCH more interested in the I-Pilot if I could get it on a Maxxum or Fortrex type mount)
Depthfinders that I didn't remember seeing back then, and are no longer around.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 11/7/2012 7:22 PM (#596688 - in reply to #593686)

Here's another one that is just as true today as when it was first published in April 1983.

Fishing Facts - LURE SPEED - It's More Important Than You Think by Buck Perry.

Here's a quote: "One thing for sure, most of the food a game fish takes isn't "lounging" around!"

Have fun!
Al
Cowboyhannah
Posted 11/8/2012 7:57 PM (#596932 - in reply to #593659)

Heitings "presentation progressions". Forget which issue...
rnschott
Posted 11/9/2012 9:45 AM (#596998 - in reply to #593659)

I still have a copy of the 1980's In-Fisherman article by Doug Stange and Mark Windels "Muskies Have No Virtue"
Basic bucktail tactics about covering lots of water and searching for active fish - a classic.

Bob
Posted 11/9/2012 10:30 AM (#597008 - in reply to #593659)

Frog Days - Old In Fish article
River Musky - Old In Fish article by Dahlberg (don't remember the exact title)

I still pull those out and read them from time to time.

B.
Hillbiehle
Posted 11/9/2012 10:39 AM (#597010 - in reply to #597008)

When I was in 6th grade on summer (1988?). I was riding my bike around town and stumbled across a garage sale. They had Outdoor Life magazines with each months/year neatly bound with twine for free. I must have taken 10 years worth of magazines. I recall they dated back to 1958 to 1968. Spent many hours reading those magazines. Unfortunatley I no longer have. I'd love to reread those articles and see the ads.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 11/14/2012 11:16 AM (#597923 - in reply to #597010)

Here's another: Fishing Facts August 1977 - $1.25

"HOW A FATHER & SON TEAM CAUGHT 24 MUSKIES OVER 40LBS. - 3 OVER 50LBS.!
By Joe Bucher.

Have you ever heard of Clayton Slack Sr. or Clayton Slack Jr.?

Clayton Slack Jr. :
"A real trophy hunter will go out under the worst conditions, hot or cold, fish for 10 hours and not see a fish, and then get up the next day and do it all over again. THAT IS A TROPHY MUSKIE FISHERMAN. He is a dedicated individual who deserves each and every fish he catches.

I have seen men who rate way above me in catching amounts of muskies, but I do not consider them true lunker hunters because they will not sacrifice when the going gets tough. Fishing big muskies is the hardest, most dedicated sport there is. That's why the thrill & victory of catching a 30lb plus muskie is so great!"

When I reread those words today, a few names come to mind.
Howie Meyer, Dick Pearson, Doug Johnson, Tom Gelb, Steve Herbeck and Joe Bucher are just a few. There's also the new kid on the block- Spencer Berman. Everything Clay says in this article is just as true today. He was an advocate for releasing 30-40" fish so they could grow bigger in 1977.

Is he still alive? I'd certainly like to meet him.

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 11/14/2012 11:28 AM
TTS
Posted 11/16/2012 4:46 PM (#598283 - in reply to #593659)

Remember that article about Clayton Slack. Seems to me he did a lot of jig fishing for muskies. Also lost a GIANT which might have been a new record. Have not heard of him since. Tom
Mike
Posted 11/30/2012 1:08 PM (#600571 - in reply to #593659)

Classic In-fisherman (Early to Mid 80's) article by Dick Pearson & Doug Stange - Jerkbait fishing..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)