Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> On Board Battery Charger for Cranking Battery

Reply New post
Message Subject: On Board Battery Charger for Cranking Battery
muskyhunter34
Posted 11/22/2012 9:23 AM (#599094)
Subject: On Board Battery Charger for Cranking Battery

I want to install an onboard battery charger for my cranking battery. Do i have to be concerned about charging the cranking battery that is permanently hooked up to all the electronics on my boat? For instance, will it be putting voltage on all the electronics coming out of the battery?

Anybody have any idea what i am talking about?

Thanks in advance.....

Sticky hooks, Rob
jonnysled
Posted 11/22/2012 9:53 AM (#599096 - in reply to #599094)
Subject: Re: On Board Battery Charger for Cranking Battery

the best way to approach it is to touch all batteries that you have onboard so if a 24-volt trolling motor have a 2-bank charger, one for the tm and one on the cranker, 24 = 3-bank (2 on tm's 1 on crank), 36 = 4-bank (3 on tm's and 1 on crank). nothing sucks more than power problems so if installing, do it right the first time through. if you are remotely considering putting a bigger trolling motor on in the future, consider this when buying your onboard charger.
shaley
Posted 11/22/2012 10:14 AM (#599100 - in reply to #599096)

No harm to your electronics, I run 2 on my boat a 2 bank for the trolling batteries and a single for the cranking, hooked through an outlet under the dash and a cord run out the back to plug both in with 1 cord.... Also nice having a 110 outlet in the boat for vacuming and whatever else you may need....
Consigliere
Posted 11/23/2012 9:32 AM (#599202 - in reply to #599100)

shaley - 11/22/2012 11:14 AM

No harm to your electronics,

+1. Have 2x 2bank chargers on my boat. One with cranking for motor + deep cycle for finder, lights, bilge etc. One charger for two trolling batteries. No issues for 2 years with anything electrical.
cast4musky
Posted 11/23/2012 12:29 PM (#599221 - in reply to #599094)

Hi Rob, No you do not have to worry about any leakage of voltage back to your boats electronics The AC voltage enters the charger and then is converted to DC Voltage that varies between 12.8 to 14.5 volts.... Normally all your battery voltages are shut off to your boats electronics when the key is turned in the off position..... Mike Melfa Sr.
hunter991
Posted 11/26/2012 9:22 AM (#599599 - in reply to #599094)

you should have to worry, however its not a bad idea to install a master switch that shuts off all power to electronics. i have one my ranger and shut it off when charging the cranking battery.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)