Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Girlfriend: "Whatcha doin?" Me: "Out...Fishing." Click.
- (Added by: esox50)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Crankbaits-How Thick is Too Thick?

Message Subject: Crankbaits-How Thick is Too Thick?
Beaver
Posted 10/28/2012 11:41 PM (#594129)
Subject: Crankbaits-How Thick is Too Thick?

I've been learning a ton about wood these last few years, and recently I bought some 3/4" thick x 3" wide x 24" long pieces of Mohogany and wasn't sure what I was going to do with them for sure. When I went through the box, I seperated the light ones from the heavy ones. They all have real tight grain and I thought,"I can use the heavy ones for gliders and the lighter ones for cranks. So, is that a good battle plan? Is 3/4" Mohogany too thick for cranks? Using the heavier pieces for gliders would be a no-brainer, but could I even use the heavy ones for cranks? I'm thinking that I'd have to use some stout, wide lips and add some weight from dead center forward to make sure it gets some good wobble. OR, should I rip them all down to 5/8"?
What I learned about wood today.....that CA Redwood, when not striped and figured, has the tightest grain of any wood that I have ever seen. I always thought that Eastern Red Cedar was the best smelling wood there was. I was proven wrong today when I cut into a real nice knotless chunk of Spanish Cedar. Holy Crap! It made me want to run into the house and light up a Cuban. #*^@, that is my new favorite aroma!
Back to the question, how wide is too wide or does the weight of the wood dictate the optimum length and width?
Thanks guys,
Beaver
gunnr
Posted 10/29/2012 4:12 AM (#594142 - in reply to #594129)
Subject: RE: Crankbaits-How Thick is Too Thick?

I have some 3/4 mahogany I'm going to use for crankbaits. Haven't tried it yet because I still have some 3/4" cedar. I think the old tuff shads were made of both cedar and mahogany and they look to be 3/4" thick. The mahogany is definately going to require different weighting than the cedar though. Hopefully, someone that has actually used it can give you a better response.
woodieb8
Posted 10/29/2012 5:44 AM (#594145 - in reply to #594129)
Subject: Re: Crankbaits-How Thick is Too Thick?

hi. african mahogany sinks others float.
weighting for shad styles will slow action down for wobble.either woods accept prime/seal well. beaver your post above is dead on.just adjust ballast weights.
GMan
Posted 10/29/2012 11:10 AM (#594210 - in reply to #594129)

Depending on the lip size, 3/4" thick wood is no where near too wide for a crank bait. I assume you are going with a flat sided bait. I've seen round ones as thick as 2 1/2"; flat ones at 3/4 should be great. Again, it comes back to the shape and amount of lip you are using.
Beaver
Posted 10/29/2012 11:42 AM (#594228 - in reply to #594210)

Thanks guys, as usual this forum is full of great guys who aren't afraid to share.
Now I just have to get that bandsaw that I've been talking about. I did more research and think that I am going with a Jet. There are some sales going on now that bring their prices down to a more affordable range. Every rating that I've seen has 3 Jet saws in the top 5. Now to decide on which size 8/?
Beav
bowhunter29
Posted 11/2/2012 3:34 PM (#595654 - in reply to #594129)

I plane my cedar down to about 7/8" for my cranks. I like them beefy!

jeremy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)