Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> KEYS To the Future of Musky Fishing

Message Subject: KEYS To the Future of Musky Fishing
NOFEAR
Posted 11/30/2012 8:34 PM (#600668)
Subject: KEYS To the Future of Musky Fishing

Hi Everyone,
the season has come to an end for most of us. I don't know about you but i'm allready thinking and planning for next year! Is it just me or is this sport addictive?

Love it and never want to lose it!

My Question to all musky fisherman is a 2 part question.

1: What are the keys to the future of musky fishing?
2: What can we do as a group to ensure it's sucess?

Happy Holidays

muskyhunter47
Posted 11/30/2012 8:56 PM (#600672 - in reply to #600668)
Subject: Re: KEYES To the Future of Musky Fishing

im not the smartest guy here.this is just my opinion the more people musky fishing the better so for me i take new guys with me get them going once you hook your first musky your hooked for life.wish i never cought that first musky i would be a rich man today LOL
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 11/30/2012 11:39 PM (#600688 - in reply to #600668)

Once I saw my first first musky following with it's nose just off the rear treble of my DC10 I was hooked... The next few follows simply made it worse. As a novice Musky fisherman with approximately 50 hours targetting musky, my opinion to keeping the sport growing will be managing the existing waters so they continue produce and adding more fishable lakes. To me, simply access to fishing will keep the sport alive and growing. The bass and walleye guys won't like adding more waters, but there is no reason those fish won't continue to thrive if musky are introduced. Joining Muskie Inc and other groups that advocate for Musky fishing will help ensure advocacy for the cause. But the impact of tourism tax $$ will be the most effective way of keeping the fishing going. For those 50 hours of fishing this summer and fall, I contributed a minimum of $400 in general taxes and license fees directly related to musky fishing. That doesn't include gas, lodging and food taxes either, as I travel from Arkansas to go home and fish. But I also now plan to go home more frequently now.

Muskyhunter47, I am going to have to plan a trip to MN next year around your schedule since you like taking novice musky guys out so much! I just missed you when I was up there this fall.

Edited by ARmuskyaddict 11/30/2012 11:41 PM
Top H2O
Posted 12/1/2012 12:03 AM (#600689 - in reply to #600668)
Subject: RE: KEYES To the Future of Musky Fishing

Join Muskie Inc. and Contribute to Muskie stocking in your local area....... Keys to successful Musky Management,.. For sure.

Edited by Top H2O 12/1/2012 12:06 AM
FAT-SKI
Posted 12/1/2012 8:01 AM (#600708 - in reply to #600689)
Subject: RE: KEYES To the Future of Musky Fishing

I second join muskies inc. You can give your time or $ to contribute to stocking the fish as previously stated. We can't be the group of guys that just sits around and waits every year for our season to start and our fish to bite. We need to make sure that people willing to step up and support the sport they love so much. Don't just wait for the next season, see what you can do to help out. The more people involved, the easier it will be to keep the sport growing strong for many years to come.
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/1/2012 8:38 AM (#600711 - in reply to #600668)

My Question to all musky fisherman is a 2 part question.

1: What are the keys to the future of musky fishing?
2: What can we do as a group to ensure it's success?

---------------------
1) Get kids involved and teach them the value of our natural resources.
2) If you have kids...take them fishing, get them involved with your local fishing club, etc. If you don't have kids, there are a lot of unfortunate kids out there without dads, take the opportunity to engage them. You can always use a fishing partner.

JMO,
James

ski glider
Posted 12/1/2012 9:51 AM (#600719 - in reply to #600668)

Keys to the future of musky fishing are handle them properly and release them.And second of all educate and teach others to do the same.
woodieb8
Posted 12/1/2012 4:11 PM (#600793 - in reply to #600668)

the future depends on youth and willing involvment. the electronic age ,kids wont even go outdoors. .supporting groups that are involved in all aspects. habitat, pollution are the greater evils that need to be dealt with. . we as fishermen have fish but no future unless the general polulation starts caring.
DonPursch
Posted 12/1/2012 8:36 PM (#600851 - in reply to #600793)

Get the kids involved and get more involved your self in a chapter and support the industry that you believe in
jadrian1951
Posted 12/1/2012 10:20 PM (#600881 - in reply to #600668)
Subject: Re: KEYS To the Future of Musky Fishing

All the various suggestions are good and all will help and all us muskie fishermen can help in which ever area is most suitable to you. That said I'll enter my 2 cents as a relativly new muskie addict 2+ yrs.
Join a Muskies Inc. chapter and help it maintan and grow members. My fvorite events other than tournaments are.
1. Kids fishing day at the local city lake/park which everything is supplied and free for 1/2 day fishing and lunch.
these youngsters need to get interested in fishing and muskie fishiing is tough to sell at the early and impatient
age so just get them fishing for what is most plentiful in your location.
2. Support and promote a few Muskie Guide For a Day programs per year. This is where you can get avid fishermen interested
in muskie fishing and maybe convert a few members.
3. Take part as a club in the small local sport shows in your area and expose the availability of your club and promote the two
above programs.
4. Have your club sponsor a take a VET fishiing day.
Being involved in a club can be a lot more than just fishing but this is all necessary if we want to keep muskie fishing growing or maybe just keep it where it's at in these economic times with all the state and federal cut backs. Maybe we all need a take a politician fishing day. Tomorrow is our club annual planning meeting for the 2013 year and I would rather be out fishing with the unusual warm weather. I'll be doing that next week-end for our annual winter troll however I have a feeling there will be a good amount of casting taking place.
Thanks for everything everyone has done in the past so I can Muskie fish today and tomorrow.
sworrall
Posted 12/1/2012 11:23 PM (#600890 - in reply to #600881)

Anyone here familiar with the NPAA?

Kids fishing programs with free rods, free T shirts and help from Pros learning how to use them is what they do.

www.npaa.net

Join up and become active, and you can do more for the future of the sport than you know.

Attend the Conference in January. It's incredible what you will learn there from the folks making a living in this business and the top company reps from the industry.

Steve Worrall
NPAA Number 112

MuskyHopeful
Posted 12/1/2012 11:38 PM (#600892 - in reply to #600668)

Think of how much better off the fish would be if musky fishermen stopped using hooks. Maybe hang a video camera off the boat, they would seem affordable if you didn't have to spend money on hooks, nets, leaders, etc, then coax them in with flashy hookless baits, You could watch the videos which could be very satisfying.

No fish would be harmed, and maybe in ten or fifteen years we would know how big they can actually get. I suggest right now that everyone take the hooks off their baits starting next Spring. For say 15 years. Give the fish that break, see how big they can get, and then maybe put the hooks back on. The time will go fast. Hell, it seems like yesterday my daughter was born, and today we were practicing driving in parking lots.

15 years. Who's with me?

Kevin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)