Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Baby Squirko

Message Subject: Baby Squirko
brales17
Posted 9/2/2012 10:45 PM (#582227)
Subject: Baby Squirko

I know there was a thread on this at one point but my squirko just doesnt glide in any sort of left to right motion...im using a flouro leader, and have no problems with phantoms... any advice besides switching to wire? and on that note: do fish react adversely to wire vs flouro?

thanks guys,
brales
muskihntr
Posted 9/2/2012 10:57 PM (#582229 - in reply to #582227)
Subject: Re: Baby Squirko

To get the best action on those baits you need to use a Solid Wire leader with no swivel.
http://monsterlures.net/index.php?categoryID=13
Jeff Hanson
Posted 9/3/2012 12:07 PM (#582276 - in reply to #582229)

A Baby Squirko IS NOT A PHANTOM. They work different. Use a wire leader and make sure their is a split ring on the front of bait. Do not use floro leaders on these.....
Also use a MH rod. i use a 7'6" MH it makes them dart all over the place.
IMO people use floro for too many things...Do u actually think a fish is going to hit a plastic bait with trebles on it and give a #*#* if its a wire or floro leader??? I use wire for all casting clear or dirty water...
Good luck,
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
MD75
Posted 9/3/2012 7:47 PM (#582355 - in reply to #582276)

Jeff Hanson - 9/3/2012 12:07 PM

A Baby Squirko IS NOT A PHANTOM.

+1
Why would you want another bait that does the same thing? This bait has fast become one of my go to, confidence lures. Don't give up on it!

Matt
LarryO
Posted 9/4/2012 9:11 PM (#582608 - in reply to #582276)

Jeff Hanson - 9/3/2012 12:07 PM

A Baby Squirko IS NOT A PHANTOM. They work different. Use a wire leader and make sure their is a split ring on the front of bait. Do not use floro leaders on these.....
Also use a MH rod. i use a 7'6" MH it makes them dart all over the place.
IMO people use floro for too many things...Do u actually think a fish is going to hit a plastic bait with trebles on it and give a #*#* if its a wire or floro leader??? I use wire for all casting clear or dirty water...
Good luck,
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

I agree with these comments on Fluoro leaders. Steel makes sense most of the time. I also don't understand why people think they need a flexible leader, either seven strand or fluorocarbon for bucktails. To me a solid wire jerkbait type leader is best for bucktails. I kind of like fluoro with some topwater baits as I think it helps them stay up on top a little better. I've never seen any lure that really looks like a real baitfish, they just provoke a reaction out of the fish, so this idea of fish being leader shy makes no sense in my opinion.
Doonan
Posted 9/5/2012 9:39 AM (#582701 - in reply to #582608)

LarryO - 9/4/2012 9:11 PM

I agree with these comments on Fluoro leaders. Steel makes sense most of the time. I also don't understand why people think they need a flexible leader, either seven strand or fluorocarbon for bucktails. To me a solid wire jerkbait type leader is best for bucktails. I kind of like fluoro with some topwater baits as I think it helps them stay up on top a little better. I've never seen any lure that really looks like a real baitfish, they just provoke a reaction out of the fish, so this idea of fish being leader shy makes no sense in my opinion.

I prefer fluro on my bucktails just for the fact I don't have to mess with bending the leader back into shape. After I unhook a fish I want to be back casting asap.

With topwater I really prefer a solid wire without all the hardware (barrel swivel and large snap). A fluoro leader with all of the hardware will pull the nose of the bait down to much for my liking.
LarryO
Posted 9/5/2012 11:33 AM (#582722 - in reply to #582701)

I guess my real point is a lot of us use 80# or 100# braid fishing line, then a #4 or #5 ball bearing swivel with a #4 or #5 Stingease snap on most of our leaders. Then our lures have 3/0 to 5/0 hooks with beefed up split rings, so I really doubt having 12" of steel leader material instead of fluorocarbon scares off the fish. Just my opinion.
muskie! nut
Posted 9/8/2012 10:11 PM (#583388 - in reply to #582701)

Doonan - 9/5/2012 9:39 AM

I prefer fluro on my bucktails just for the fact I don't have to mess with bending the leader back into shape. After I unhook a fish I want to be back casting asap.

I suggest using Leaders & Lures multistrand wire leaders. They hold up, just ask Frank Walsh or Doug Johnson who have caught over 50 muskies on one of GS Specialties leader.

As for wire for the Baby Squirko leaders, also don't make them too long, just a bit over the length of the bait. Might even be best if you loop them direct to the bait like you would find on a Eddie bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)