Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> MN opener advice...

Message Subject: MN opener advice...
esoxlazer
Posted 5/31/2012 2:52 PM (#562761)
Subject: MN opener advice...

Just wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on a small to medium sized lake to fish for the MN opener? I live in Lino Lakes, but don't mind driving up to about an hour or so in any direction. I've lived here for a few years now but I finally have a boat this year to go out and explore...I know there is a ton of water around, and I've spent a ton of time learning/mapping Bald Eagle and White Bear this spring, but I've heard from a lot of folks those lakes will be an absolute zoo this weekend. My younger brothers are coming up for the weekend and I'd like to take them somewhere that's not going to be packed but will give us a decent shot at a fish. My brothers don't get to fish much, and the youngest has only caught 1 muskie, so I'm gonna work my butt off to get him on fish. I normally don't mind fighting the crowds, but I'd like to have a relaxing few days to fish and shoot the breeze with my brothers instead of fishing a merry-go-round all weekend. There are a few lakes that I've heard of that might fit the bill(Comfort in Chisago and Island near Pine City), but other people have told me that it wouldn't be worth the time to fish them. I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their spots or lake x, but figured it was worth a shot to see if I could find a nudge in the right direction. Thanks a million in advance for any help!! If you'd rather PM, that would be great too!
kodiak
Posted 5/31/2012 2:59 PM (#562763 - in reply to #562761)
Subject: Re: MN opener advice...

bettter just go to one of the goodies and fight the crowd.
Slow Rollin
Posted 5/31/2012 3:25 PM (#562769 - in reply to #562761)
Subject: RE: MN opener advice...

Island is worth it and may not be too crowded this weekend. Any other lake besides maybe Mill Lac in that area will be packed to the max. Mill Lac will give you alot more areas to fish.
muskyhunter47
Posted 5/31/2012 6:10 PM (#562790 - in reply to #562761)

ill be on bald eagle
ameoba
Posted 5/31/2012 6:35 PM (#562792 - in reply to #562761)

Lake Owasso might be an option, as would Island (near Duluth), the St Croix (if you don't mind rivers) or even Lake Elmo.

Otherwise, the DNR has a list of ALL lakes that are managed for Muskies in their 20 year plan. The list starts on page 78, but the whole thing is actually a very interesting read (if you have the time).

Find it here:
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/fisheries/plans/muskiepi...

Tight lines and good luck this weekend!
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/31/2012 9:28 PM (#562819 - in reply to #562761)

I haven't been up there in many years but east and west rush lake might be a good option. Not sure but I would assume less musky boats than WBL or bald eagle.

Or try cross lake connected to the snake river in pine city.
esoxlazer
Posted 6/1/2012 12:59 AM (#562836 - in reply to #562761)

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!!! I'll wait to see if anyone else responds before deciding where to go, but its definitely given me some ideas to think about. Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend...hopefully we've all got plenty of pictures to show on Monday!!
kustomboy
Posted 6/1/2012 7:21 AM (#562846 - in reply to #562761)

I'm guessing East and West Rush will be a zoo because it was last year opener. But every lake will be busy because it's opener. I've heard that the numbers in Cross Lake in Pine City are way down because the DNR stopped stocking to see if natural reproduction was occuring and it wasn't. I've heard that second hand from several people but I have never fished the lake. Island Lake up by Sturgeon Lake is a nice small lake. The two days I fished it last year weren't terribly busy with fisherman but there was a bit of boating activity. I'll be on Rush Saturday morning and will likely be done around lunch time because that's when the pontoons and jet skis come out.

If you want a lake that isn't going to be packed and have a shot at a fish how about one of the tiger metro lakes?
Posted 6/1/2012 8:12 AM (#562855 - in reply to #562761)

I was just out on rush yesterday fishing walleyes, and let me tell you it was very green... I bet I couldn't see 10 inches down. Must be the curly leaf drying off.
Hammskie
Posted 6/1/2012 8:57 AM (#562865 - in reply to #562761)

There are plenty of choices within the metro area and north. Pick one that looks good to you, regardless of popularity. You can avoid crowds on any lake. Have a great opener.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(MetroMuskieLakes.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MetroMuskieLakes.gif (194KB - 190 downloads)
Top H2O
Posted 6/1/2012 8:58 AM (#562866 - in reply to #562855)

I know they are further away, but some of the northern lakes are not as crowed as the cities, and you get a bonus of "The Up Nort" feel.
I fish the opener every year on V and hardly see 5 other "Muskie" boats which is nice.

Jerome
happy hooker
Posted 6/1/2012 3:43 PM (#562927 - in reply to #562866)

pressure in metro on opener drops after say 11:00 am not empty but alot of boats have 6 hrs in by then and have other plans,,
If your receptive to Tigers you'll be fine your real close to Clear lake,,and lakes like Johanna and Gervais

St Croix is high but know of fish caught last week
Your not all that far from Cross lake but Snake River is very high

it wont be that crowded on if you open water troll??? a good pattern in a cool June

oop's people are pi##ed now
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)