Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> what size trebles?

Message Subject: what size trebles?
bigyam627
Posted 5/23/2012 8:32 AM (#561402)
Subject: what size trebles?

Does anyone know what size treble hooks are on the 6 inch jakes? Caught a couple fish on mine the other day and had to cut a hook for one of the fish. Just dont know the size i need to order. thanks
The Swan
Posted 5/23/2012 9:16 AM (#561419 - in reply to #561402)
Subject: RE: what size trebles?

I can only tell you that I downsize the treble hooks on 6" Jakes to size 1. I do this to get better action on a straight retrieve. The ones I bought came with trebles two sizes above that.
Thad
Posted 5/23/2012 11:10 AM (#561444 - in reply to #561402)
Subject: RE: what size trebles?

If you want better action with great hooking, take the middle hook off of a 6" Jake and throw it away - Then replace the head and tail hook with 3/0 VMC Conecuts.

IMO the middle hook on all baits only creates drag in the water and doesn't allow the bait to snap or roll back and forth with more vibration than without. I have been taking the middle hooks off of baits for years and I honestly don't think it has cost me any fish because a muskie is almost always hooked by the head or the tail hook. As a matter of fact, I think by doing that I have seen more fish because of the different action I get without that middle hook plus that middle hook adds 3 more points of resistance when applying your hookset.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)