Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Manitowish Chain - Early Season

Message Subject: Manitowish Chain - Early Season
Makintrax73
Posted 4/26/2012 11:43 AM (#555934)
Subject: Manitowish Chain - Early Season

Looks like I will be staying on Rest Lake on the Manitowish Chain the first weekend in June. A little apprehensive about what looks to be a clear and cold water lake in early season. Usually fish further South early season. No choice on where to stay, trip planner already booked the house.

Any advice on lures or patterns? Am I going to get hit with spawn/post-spawn with the cool weather we are having now?

Thinking about smallish spinner baits and in-lines in natural colors and possibly try a rattle bait in the warmer creek fed bays. Or maybe I should get some smaller kickn' minnows and stay away from the rattles with the clear water. Dead sticking an original Rapala has worked for me when the bass are up in the bays early so maybe muskies will fall for that too.

Can't wait to get back up to God's country whether the fishing is good or not!

Edited by Makintrax73 4/26/2012 11:45 AM
Mani
Posted 4/26/2012 2:51 PM (#555975 - in reply to #555934)
Subject: RE: Manitowish Chain - Early Season

That Chain was discovered in 2005 ... The secret is out ... :0)
Makintrax73
Posted 4/26/2012 5:46 PM (#556016 - in reply to #555934)
Subject: Re: Manitowish Chain - Early Season

No worries I have an Eagle River t-shirt I can wear for fish pics
CiscoKid
Posted 4/27/2012 9:33 AM (#556150 - in reply to #555934)

The fish should be post spawn.

Don't worry about going small as 10" baits work for me out there right from the opener. Actually I have found they are preferred early. No doubt there will be fish shallow, but there will also be a bunch out suspended.

Great time of the year to toss 10" Jakes and Hardheads without any weight. Also don't forget topwaters over the deep.

Also keep in mind just because you are on rest doesn't mean you can't fish the whole chain. Easy navigation from Rest through the channel to the other lakes. Don't restrict yourself just to the one lake as that would be foolish.

Edited by CiscoKid 4/27/2012 9:35 AM
esox1980
Posted 4/27/2012 11:55 AM (#556173 - in reply to #555934)

Rest is a great lake at times but opener has been a bust the last couple of years. I usuall start the year on the chain with shallow weed so I'm usually up on clear, alder or wild rice. Rest typically for me is slow until later June and into July. It always seems to be a couple of weeks behind the rest of the chain with the initial early season warm up. I will spend some time on rest though and so will other, but I agree with some of the previous post don't be afraid to go big. pm me if you would like some specifics
mani time
Posted 4/27/2012 12:29 PM (#556182 - in reply to #555934)

I'd spend time over the basins open water fishing on Spider. Keep your baits in the top 10 feet of the water column and don't forget to bring your Weagle baby. You might just see Steve Heiting and the Musky Hunter crew filming.
Makintrax73
Posted 4/29/2012 7:50 PM (#556668 - in reply to #555934)
Subject: Re: Manitowish Chain - Early Season

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I certainly appreciate it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)