Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> strangest things you were able to film

Message Subject: strangest things you were able to film
jim K
Posted 5/9/2012 8:02 PM (#558847)
Subject: strangest things you were able to film

Muskyfreak44's post got me thinking about all the things we see out there. The stories are what sets Musky fishing apart from the rest of angling.

I was wondering how many great pictures or videos are out there?? Post up!

Here's a few of my favorites I was fortunate enough to capture on video over the years. I have been blessed with excellent luck and dive partners, some of the very best divers in my area for many years now. It truly has been a treat to get down underwater and film these awesome fish. When I began, I thought I would be able to quickly strip away the mystique and figure out what this fish was all about. They are as mystical to me now as when I started many years ago. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/oRIE5nCdES8

Wild Musky Encounters 2:29

tcbetka
Posted 5/9/2012 10:23 PM (#558867 - in reply to #558847)
Subject: Re: strangest things you were able to film

Awesome stuff Jim! I always enjoy your videos. I watched each of these here, and was amazed at how close some of those fish let you get. There was one BIG fish in the second video! I didn't really realize how big it was until the diver came into the frame as well. Whoa...nice fish.

The other thing I that impressed me was how effortlessly the fish move in the current. It's like they simply use their smaller fins (pectoral and pelvic) to vector the water in such a way that it then pushes them the way they want to go. Very "energy efficient," to be sure. Great stuff.

Thanks for posting!

TB
Gregoire
Posted 5/10/2012 6:13 AM (#558889 - in reply to #558847)

Thanks for sharing those videos. Some great shots there. I keep thinking about how muskie look a lot like sharks when they are just chillin in the water. Although there are fish around them, you know that every bass and walleye knows exactly where the musky is at all time. I was at a seminar this year where Gord Pyzer compared muskies to great white sharks. That video just reinforces the comparison to me.
Posted 5/10/2012 6:59 AM (#558893 - in reply to #558889)

and we throw little 6 inch baits for these fish??
Jim K
Posted 5/10/2012 3:47 PM (#559000 - in reply to #558847)
Subject: RE: strangest things you were able to film

I was always against fin clipping TB. The peck fins are there for a reason. We had bumped into the second fish in Wild Musky Encounters a few times, so she knew us, and that we were not any threat. You gain acceptance. There is a great story behind the third fish, which was actually bigger, and tried to give me some attitude. I actually went fishing for it, which I seldom do, and in one of the most humorous outings ever, hooked it, but lost it.

I never really considered them quite like sharks, having dove with both, but they are the Apex predator, and there is one important comparison. I try to gauge their mood by posture. Back slightly arched with fins at a 45 deg. angles means an aggressive musky or shark. Now, I now that sounds a little goofy, that you would do that, but you do it every time there is an unchained dog in your path. You look at the tail, the hair on the back of the neck, If it puts it's head down and tries to get around behind you, if it bares it's teeth and growls. You do it automatically.

I don't really consider a Musky a real aggressive fish generally, and the other fish down there don't seem to either. They have that no nonsense toughness about them. You mess around with them too much, and they let you know.

They read you too. The Sandman, who petted the muskie in Wild musky encounters never fished them, has no preconceived ideas about them, and views them as just cool big fish gets along great with them (obviously). Phil, on the other hand,(Never mess with a one eyed) has fished them off and on for 30 years. You can count on an ugly encounter. Both make for great video.

J.Sloan
Posted 5/10/2012 6:13 PM (#559024 - in reply to #558847)

Wish I could honestly post on this subject, but my lawyer is cautioning against it at this time.
Good times...

JS
Lungemadness
Posted 5/10/2012 7:14 PM (#559040 - in reply to #558847)

Very very cool stuff. Would love to feel the rush of diving with the monsters... we all obsess about...
Jim K
Posted 5/11/2012 7:48 PM (#559326 - in reply to #558847)
Subject: RE: strangest things you were able to film

If you are J. Sloan from Badfish, Then I bet you have some really cool footage!

Exploring the underwater world is really one of the best pursuits I have ever taken up LM. It really is awesome, the rush you get nose to nose with a fish is like a hot follow x2. Scuba and fly fishing. met a ton of great people thru both. It has sort of ruined musky fishing for me though. Tough for me to stay up top and cast and not say to myself " I should be down there with them"

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)