Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Water in Reel

Message Subject: Water in Reel
Dumb ?'s
Posted 10/21/2011 12:27 PM (#521558)
Subject: Water in Reel

Do you guys take your reels apart to dry after fishing in the rain?

Last time I was out one of my reels was horribly loud while casting and also limited the casting distance. The time before I was fishing out in the rain. So, I took the reel apart and there was quite a bit of water in there, combined with the cold temps I figured that was my problem. I'm assuming water on the spool bearings was causing the noise? I also just started storing my rods/reels in the house rather than an unheated garage to hopefully prevent further problems.

Any input?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/21/2011 4:21 PM (#521574 - in reply to #521558)
Subject: RE: Water in Reel

U should always dry out reels that are wet in a warm place after fishing. If your reel is making noise on casting the spool bearings need to be relubed. I would take them out and clean them first and then reoil with any reel oil, just 1 (one) drop of oil per spool bearing.
Posted 10/22/2011 8:45 AM (#521621 - in reply to #521558)
Subject: RE: Water in Reel

I had taken the reel apart and allowed it plenty of time to dry. Put it back together and it was still screaching. I pulled the spool out again, cleaned and relubed the spool bearings and, still screaching. I put a little bit of oil on the levelwind worm gear and it did nothing. Then I noticed the wormgear was prettt dirty so I pulled that out. The pawl was worn and I just happened to have an extra pawl and wormgear from the last time I ordered parts. Put in the new pawl and wormgear and finally quiet again. I should have figured that out sooner but it's hard to tell where the noise is actually coming from. Done deal though. Thanks PM.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)