Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Quick Sets and Suckers

Message Subject: Quick Sets and Suckers
Matty
Posted 10/24/2011 10:16 AM (#521848)
Subject: Quick Sets and Suckers

Hey All,

I started to fish this method more seriously this fall and we are having a ton of fun. I find it a great way to get my young son and friends involved because they can't toss big baits yet. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me to increase hook ups. We encountered 9 fish this weekend and only boated 3. One of the fish we boated actually opened its mouth and spit the sucker boat side and then came back and nailed it again. So, I guess we were 3 for 10 :-).

Is there a certain length of time I should be letting the fish play with the bait? I always get nervous about waiting too long as i dont want the fish to swallow the rig. Also, is there a preferred boat position for the hook set? Should I try and get the boat right on top of the fish, 45 degree angle, etc.?

Any assistance would be appreciated. The kids are having a blast (as am I) and I would love to be able to get more pictures of them holding fish...like this one!

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by Matty 10/24/2011 10:20 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Max Muskie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Max Muskie.jpg (135KB - 94 downloads)
deafmuskyhunter
Posted 10/24/2011 12:11 PM (#521857 - in reply to #521848)
Subject: Re: Quick Sets and Suckers

We caught 3 too my partner set the hook right away as long fish is swimming away from him since his bobber wasn't far from him as for me I like to chase my bobber down and set the hook right at boatside as long fish's back is front of me. If your wasn't sure where fish is lift the rod slowly most of the time fish will try to swim down and away and thats when you set the hook!!! If the sucker haven't break from rig set the hook again depend on where fish head is. If can't, try to net it right away. It's based on my limited experience. Everyone do it different.

Ps that's picture is priceless!!!!!!
Junkman
Posted 10/24/2011 12:37 PM (#521862 - in reply to #521857)
Subject: Re: Quick Sets and Suckers

Not trying to sound like a smartalec, but they call it a quick-set because it is meant to be a QUICK SET. It sort of tries to do just the opposite of what we used to do with those old squarish looking single hook jobs that you let the fish swallow long enough and far enough to guarantee the death of the fish. That said, you still have enough time to ensure that the fish is swimming away from you, so that when you take it to him, you are drawing the hooks into the mouth and not away from the fish. If you do this right, the fish will be hooked in the mouth where it belongs and you will never EVER see the sucker again. Before the set, engage your thumb-bar to free-spool, hold the spool with your thumb and then gently lift until you can see the position of your quickset on the fish. If you set the thing blind, you will be lucky to net half the fish. They are really far less likely to let go than you think. Honesly, I think you could even net quite a few without ever putting the hooks in them. Marty Forman
Posted 10/24/2011 1:59 PM (#521870 - in reply to #521848)
Subject: RE: Quick Sets and Suckers

Yeah it's not necessary to let the fish take the bait for any length of time.

More than likely your hook positioning isn't ideal. Many of the rigs you will purchase will be too small, thus leaving your hooks too far forward on the sucker.

I like one hook at the front of the dorsal fin and one hook toward the rear of the dorsal fin. I hook the sucker at least halfway down the side too so the hooks don't ride on their back. Having a hook farther back will greatly increase your hookups when fish grab the middle or back half of the sucker.

Don't get too paranoid about the hookset, best you can do is try to make sure the fish is heading away from you and slam it home. If it just grabs the sucker and sits there, put a little pressure on it and many times it will start moving away. If it's right under the boat, just back off a bit and set it.

I'd also recommend making your own quick strike rigs. I have a bunch of half made rigs that I don't put hooks on until I see what size suckers I'm using, just so I can position the hooks correctly.

Nice photo of your son, dunno what waters you're fishing but I'll say respectfully that if there are lots of smaller fish where you are you'll have more misses than with bigger fish.
Mojo1269
Posted 10/24/2011 2:20 PM (#521873 - in reply to #521870)

Guest - 10/24/2011 1:59 PM

I'd also recommend making your own quick strike rigs. I have a bunch of half made rigs that I don't put hooks on until I see what size suckers I'm using, just so I can position the hooks correctly.

Agreed. With all the tie-able wire out there you really do not need any special tools. I also find the stock hooks are too small for big suckers on most rigs. I take 5/0's and heat them with a torch and bend one barb as needed so I have appropraite hooks for bigger suckers. Many of the kits have 2/0 or 3/0 hooks that IMHO just don;t cut it on a 12-18 inch sucker...
Posted 10/24/2011 2:40 PM (#521876 - in reply to #521848)

yep 5/0s for sure - and make sure you take a lighter to your knots with the tieable wire if you use it. it's great stuff but will slip unless you heat the knot and melt the nylon just a bit. i learned the hard way and it was a really big fish, still think about that one everyday.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)