Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> The pond aka Mille Lacs

Message Subject: The pond aka Mille Lacs
SuicideBaits
Posted 8/23/2011 8:46 PM (#513214)
Subject: The pond aka Mille Lacs

Just wondering if anyone has been having any success or hearing anything. Heading up there this weekend for a day.
bbradley1
Posted 8/23/2011 9:07 PM (#513217 - in reply to #513214)
Subject: RE: The pond aka Mille Lacs

Haven't heard any reports as of late, usually the case with mille lacs is that people like to keep it pretty hush hush, And by the time it hits the message boards its usually to late. Its pretty sad, but its the truth
Posted 8/23/2011 11:51 PM (#513258 - in reply to #513214)

Why is that sad? No one is obligated to report catches in real time or at all. I wonder how anyone caught fish before the internet. If someone wants to post a report, that's great. Heck, I'm in here reading up seeing what's going on. But to say it's sad that guys don't report same day like they owe it to the rest of us is off the mark. In fact I've learned that a good portion of the time there's intentional misinformation handed out as truth.
happy hooker
Posted 8/24/2011 7:02 AM (#513271 - in reply to #513258)

talk to quite a few people every week it has been 'windows' there,,, I know of a 55' recently caught but ALOT of time put in,,it seems pretty true that if you hear of a good report on Mile Lacs its probably over,,,,plus the fact you dont hear reports is people are about !0% of what they used to be out there
Herb_b
Posted 8/24/2011 12:54 PM (#513357 - in reply to #513214)
Subject: Re: The pond aka Mille Lacs

OK. Here is a report.

I've been up there a few times lately and we had fish in the net every time. Good numbers of large Pike (30-40 inches) and one 40 inch Muskie. It is still nothing like it once was for Muskies, but the Pike action has been good and the Muskies are still there. One just has to work really hard for them. The Muskies seem to have really short feeding windows at pretty much any time of the day. The one Muskie we boated was at 3:30 in the afternoon. There hasn't been any noticable patterns either. They have not been especially active either early or late in the day. The solunar tables seem to mean nothing. Not even moonset and moonrise seem to matter. It is totally unpredictable at best.

One never knows until one tries though. One could get lucky and hook a big Muskie. There is always that chance on Mille Lacs.

Good luck if you go.

Pedro
Posted 8/24/2011 1:14 PM (#513365 - in reply to #513214)

Still fish in the lake, fish spots where you have confidence and things will happen if you put the time in. It is nice there is like no pressure on the lake. Probably a big reason you don't here much.
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 8/24/2011 2:37 PM (#513383 - in reply to #513214)

People that fish there learned their lesson after everyone and their mom headed there a few years back.
Herb_b
Posted 8/24/2011 3:05 PM (#513395 - in reply to #513214)

A lot of people never talk about their fishing trips and that is OK. The truth about Mille Lacs is that it is a little better than the past few years when it was extremely slow, but still nowhere near as good as four or five years ago when one would see 25 or more Muskies a day and always had a decent chance at catching a nice fish. Those days aren't back yet and perhaps never will be.

There are reasons that far fewer people are fishing Mille Lacs for Muskies these days.

Edited by Herb_b 8/24/2011 3:08 PM
pitch'n
Posted 8/24/2011 9:33 PM (#513473 - in reply to #513214)

I know for me I feel a bit like Capt. Ahab. Out there in all kinds of weather and at all hours of the day and night!! Day after Day, Month after Month! Year after Year!! ...BUT SOME DAY I WILL GET MY REVENGE!!!!....sorry I got carried away..I like to fish the lake. some times the weed lines produce fish,,Also the rock piles in the fall....OMC
Posted 8/24/2011 10:04 PM (#513479 - in reply to #513214)

I hit the Pond a few times back in it's hey day and then in 09 I went to fish it and got some advice to, "forget Mille Lacs." I took that advice and was introduced to my new favorite MN water. Entirely different fishery and not as good for the size, but I love to fish it. But even in all that, the Pond will always have a warm place in my heart. Even when it sucks.
greenejeans
Posted 8/25/2011 7:23 AM (#513503 - in reply to #513395)

We have a place on the pond.When you have a place on the pond you feel the since to go there every weekend.You make your milkrun hit it hard and have thick skin people still cut you off your line,o well I don"t own the lake.As far as not seeing people muskie fishing not true at all every prime spot is no secret and some body is fishing it.My opinion the majority of muskies are now open water fish chasing tulibee schools,perch schools out on the mud flats lots of walleye guys catch them on lead core and cranks.They also always fallow up your walleys as you are pulling them in.I also will tell you think smaller during day fishing and as fast as you can real and then some.Double 10's at night is fine but day fishing go small.Bull Dawgs still work.Top water you will get some fallows and some fish also.Stay off the structrue farther than you would fish.I cant stand trolling but it seems to be the way to fish now.
nate_r21
Posted 8/26/2011 10:47 AM (#513763 - in reply to #513214)

I've finally had some action out there this year. Like has been stated its not hot action but there are fish in the weeds if you spend some time. There have been worse lakes this year from I've seen.
tim
Posted 8/26/2011 1:34 PM (#513806 - in reply to #513214)

Like with the eyes this lake goes in cycles. Muskies have always done the same thing. Give it a couple years and it will be back. Everytime it slows down people lose their minds and act like the lake is screwed up.
sworrall
Posted 8/26/2011 4:26 PM (#513848 - in reply to #513214)

I saw a picture of a 52" hybrid from Mille Lacs caught yesterday, beautiful fish.
tswoboda
Posted 8/30/2011 10:11 AM (#514352 - in reply to #513214)

Well here is my report being that my season is over. I fished Mille Lacs about 2 days a week throughout august. Pounded the deep cabbage and milfoil. Only put 2 muskies in the boat, but had chances at a few other fish. The most disappointing part was the fish would not go into the 8. We saw multiple fish each trip and didn't have one fish come into the 8. If it was a hot fish, they would dart at the first turn and the lazy fish would just stop and slowly drift away. We tried everything we could think of and it got very frustrating. The only constant was the big pike. Rip a 10" jake or a Mag Dawg and you will get pike. Our best day was 2 38s (one was tagged twice) and 3 more over 33". Also lost 2 that were upper 30s.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)