Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Row trolling Planer boards

Message Subject: Row trolling Planer boards
Virgin row troller
Posted 7/1/2011 6:43 AM (#505202)
Subject: Row trolling Planer boards

What boards and releases are people using for row trolling? I have never used planer boards and am looking for how to set them up.
Thanks
tuffy1
Posted 7/1/2011 7:01 AM (#505205 - in reply to #505202)
Subject: RE: Row trolling Planer boards

If you do a search for planer boards, you should get quite a bit of information. Off Shore boards and Walleye boards are probably 2 of the most popular and both would work for row trolling.
Team Rhino
Posted 7/2/2011 12:23 PM (#505410 - in reply to #505202)
Subject: Re: Row trolling Planer boards

I use Off Shores for Rowing without issues. I just try to run them on my right side since they pull a little harder and I'm right handed.
Steve Reinstra
Posted 7/7/2011 11:18 PM (#506225 - in reply to #505410)

V Row Troller.........After spending the last several years both row trolling and motor trolling I can tell you that I have experimented with 4 different planer boards, yellow birds, walleye boards, you name it.

By far the best planer board out there........IMHO, is the Offshore brand. In addition the very best release is the OR 18 clamp. It holds deep diving crankbaits and best of all, for me, the board stays on the line after a muskie hit. The board slips down to the leader and you will not have to search for a castaway board on the water after netting your fish. No need to detach the board when, at the same time, fight the fish.

Having said that if you are just row trolling some guys still get by with a yellow bird or walleye board. But for me they still dont hold a deep diving crank bait like the Offshore with an OR 18.

Row Trolling is a classic, historic way to put muskies in the boat.........nothing quite like it in the muskie fishing world.

Good luck between the oars.

Jerry Newman
Posted 7/8/2011 8:07 AM (#506243 - in reply to #506225)

I would recommend the Offshore brand with OR-18 clamp too, especially for heavy monofilament. Just be careful not to set the OR-18s to tight because it will put a good kink in monofilament.

The large yellow birds also work well for super lines because there is a slick way to wrap the line on the red peg releases, it's holds large divers perfect unless you've hit a fish, then the board slides down the line to the leader.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)