Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> top rated guide

Message Subject: top rated guide
Posted 1/24/2011 2:43 PM (#477455)
Subject: top rated guide

Just getting into musky fishing and thinking of hiring a guide. I talked to a fellow last week at the musky show. I think his name was Tom Rozet (hes a big fellow). Very nice guy and informative to talk to. I guess he is like rated the number one musky fisherman in the country and is now even producing his own line of bait. I would think alot of you avid musky fishermen would know him. I am a younger kid and really would like to hire a good guide for fishing the madison area. Thanks everyone for your help.
chasintails
Posted 1/24/2011 2:49 PM (#477456 - in reply to #477455)
Subject: Re: top rated guide

Never heard of Tom Rozet and I'm not to sure about his number one ranking status. I've never heard of any ranking status for guides. If you are wanting to learn the Madison area Jeff Hanson or Lee Tauchen would be two that I would check out.
Posted 1/24/2011 3:00 PM (#477458 - in reply to #477455)
Subject: RE: top rated guide

Do any of these guides have a web site. I would like to cast and not troll if at all possible.
John at Ross's
Posted 1/24/2011 3:01 PM (#477459 - in reply to #477455)

Tom Rozek, an insider in the musky industry, runs the Iron Man series, PMTT fisherman. He won the top gun award a few years back maybe thats where you got the number one ranking from. Tom is a good stick and and can teach you a lot. Jeff Hanson and Lee Tauchen are top notch guides you really can't go wrong.
jkslayer135
Posted 1/24/2011 3:25 PM (#477466 - in reply to #477455)

Jeff Hanson and Lee Tauchen both have websites just google them
muskie! nut
Posted 1/24/2011 4:10 PM (#477470 - in reply to #477455)

Hanson by far is the best muskie guide hands down the chain. www.madisonmuskyguide.com. Lee is also good but you won't see him much here after July as he heads to MN or Green Bay www.leetauchen.com and another good guide, but is part time is Adam Oberfoell and his web site is www.getthenetmuskyguide.com

Posted 1/24/2011 4:28 PM (#477474 - in reply to #477455)

Thanks guys. I really want to get my first muskie this year. The guy I talked to at the muskie show seem to know every lake around wi very well. Was truly impressed he gave a young new comer to muskie fishing his time.
basscaster
Posted 1/24/2011 4:32 PM (#477475 - in reply to #477455)

It would help to know where you live and what lakes you want to fish muskies ??
pepsiboy
Posted 1/24/2011 4:58 PM (#477483 - in reply to #477455)

if you want big fish lazarus is by far the best one money can buy.
fyi that guy have more than 40 fish over 50 lbs under his big belt
wers4455
Posted 1/24/2011 5:38 PM (#477489 - in reply to #477455)

One more vote for Jeff Hanson. The guy catches some nice fish is always on the water. Put me (and others) on my PB this past year.
figure 8
Posted 1/24/2011 7:26 PM (#477505 - in reply to #477489)

I would recomend Jeff Hanson for Madison. I caught my biggest with him last year 48.5" on the Madison lakes. He gave me lots of great info on the chain and was fun to fish with. Doing another trip with him this year for sure
His website is madisonmuskyguide.com
Thanks,
Jamie
Oneida Esox
Posted 1/25/2011 7:00 AM (#477583 - in reply to #477505)

Jeff Hanson is an idiot, he couldn't find muskies in a two acre pond that had 30 fish per acre.....KIDDING.

I started fishing with Jeff Hanson about 13-14 years ago and it was amazing what he knew then. I learned enough from him that I started my own guide business and was fairly busy with it until it started to get in the way of my family.

Jeff will put you on fish.

John
Posted 1/25/2011 9:04 AM (#477598 - in reply to #477455)

My vote is for Lee Tauchen.

http://leetauchen.com/
Don Davis
Posted 1/25/2011 9:28 AM (#477602 - in reply to #477598)

I would pick Jeff Hanson. He spends more time on the chain than anybody and has more madison 50"s in his boat then anyone. I picked up alot of info from him at the musky school last year it helped me and my dad alot. Every time we fish we see his trailer at the launch. Hired him for my dad for fathers day
Don
Jobu
Posted 1/25/2011 10:54 AM (#477615 - in reply to #477455)

I think you need to give us your definition of "BEST", in order to properly answer this question. Is it the guide who boats the most? or the guide who puts the most over 50 inches in the boat every year-----or is it the guide whose clients boat more than he/she does per season? There are quite a few "great sticks" out there right now and more are popping up every year. There are "hall of famers" casting side by side with up and coming "young guns", who are ALL incredible fishermen. It also depends what area of the country you're fishing------Canada, the Midwest, the Northwoods---they all have top rated guides for their perspective regions. Good luck figuring this one out guys----Jobu
guest kid
Posted 1/25/2011 6:01 PM (#477709 - in reply to #477455)

Heck I just want a good chance at catching my first muskie and learn some while doing it. I cant drive yet so traveling a great distance from madison is out of the questions. My funds are somewhat limited as well. You guys have been very helpfull. I hope I can book at least one trip with someone this spring.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/26/2011 12:30 PM (#477874 - in reply to #477455)

Hey "Guest Kid",

Check out your area for Muskie clubs. I'm not from the Madison area so I don't know the specific clubs near you, but I'm sure there are a few. You will be able to meet up with some good people and might be able to fill an open spot in the back of a boat from time to time. It is a great way to get started in this sport, make some friends with similar interests and it won't break the bank. Good luck and If you ever make it down to the Fox Chain, I'm sure we can find a spot in the boat for you.
Top H2O
Posted 1/26/2011 12:50 PM (#477879 - in reply to #477874)

guest kid,
Maybe someone here can help..??.....But I think there is a Muskie school for a day in March in Madison, and I hear it is just a blast to attend...Lots of good muskie info being taught by some great muskie people...... Check it out.

Jerome
BNelson
Posted 1/26/2011 12:56 PM (#477883 - in reply to #477879)

click on meetings and events....meetings are open to the public, you don't have to be a member....

http://www.capitalcitymuskiesinc.org/
C.Painter
Posted 1/26/2011 1:24 PM (#477893 - in reply to #477455)

The muskie school is a great event that the Capital city Chapter puts on every early spring here in Madison....Jeff is usually a speaker at that school as well as Lee and Steve Herbeck, Steve Worrall etc. Check out the site that Brad listed above and you can get info there....meet the guides and go from there. Both Lee and Jeff catch fish...but none better on the madison chain then Jeff....
Cory
muskie! nut
Posted 1/26/2011 5:12 PM (#477980 - in reply to #477455)

The muskie school is March 19th. I got a update a few days ago for the newsletter. I am just finishing up the Cap City newsletter. If anyone wants that sign up form contact me next week and I will gladly sent it out. It should be available on line shortly as well.

"Guest Kid" I would be happy to get you out a few times. My problem is I can not drive my suburban (with my boat) anymore. But if I can my Tuffy to the lake somehow, I'd like to take you fishing.

Gerard
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)