Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: let the slumpasauraus be gone in 2006!!!
- (Added by: justlucky)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Weighting Lures

Message Subject: Weighting Lures
fishwisconsin3
Posted 10/28/2010 10:22 PM (#464941)
Subject: Weighting Lures

Hi Guys,
I have some ideas and I have bought some supplies to help get started creating lures. I have learned a lot from reading info from this forum but one thing I can't really find a whole lot of info on is weighting a lure (such as a glider or crank). What is generally used to weight the lure and how is it done?
Thanks in advance
zach2626
Posted 10/29/2010 6:41 AM (#464962 - in reply to #464941)
Subject: RE: Weighting Lures

people us all sorts of things. living in NY it is tough (illegal) to buy lead smaller than 1/2 oz. so what i do is get 1/4" pencil lead, straighten it out and cut it in pieces, i weigh everything on my scale and once you have one size you want just measure the cut piece and cut the same size for the rest. then you drill out the hole w/ a 1/4" drill bit and epoxy over the hole once you put the lead in there. to do rattles is almost the same thing but that is a subject for later. you also need to find the balance point before you weight though. some say to put the plug on the edge of the table and see where it falls off. i mean balance it to where it just falls and this should be about where i weight them. was i clear enough on that, i am not sure how else to explain it but find the balance point and that is a place to start. more weight in the head = deeper diving. more weight towards the back= shallower diving but more action. have fun and if you dont mess up a bunch, your better than me. good luck. zach from NY.
bowhunter29
Posted 10/29/2010 7:23 AM (#464970 - in reply to #464941)
Subject: Re: Weighting Lures

Do what Zach said to find the balance point. I am from PA so I don't have a problem getting 1/4 or 1/2oz lead sinkers. I use egg sinkers. Drill hole, put in sinker, epoxy over the hole. Done!

jeremy
fishwisconsin3
Posted 10/29/2010 3:40 PM (#465030 - in reply to #464941)
Subject: RE: Weighting Lures

Thanks for the input guys, this will help a lot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)