Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Fuel / water seperator and gas tank condensation

Reply New post
Message Subject: Fuel / water seperator and gas tank condensation
Lake View
Posted 9/20/2010 11:28 AM (#460086)
Subject: Fuel / water seperator and gas tank condensation

This is another question on leaving a gas tank full or empty over the winter.

First off, I've done both. I prefer to leave the tank empty, but have left the tank full based off of conflicting advice. Even thoguh I've treated gas prior to winterization I don't fee comfortable leaving gas sit for 6-7 months and then running it through the engine (4-stroke). Here's my question. I have a fuel/water seperator in my boat. If the argument for leaving the tank full is that condensation can occur in an empty tank, wouldn't the seperator catch that condensation as the first tank of gas in run through? Similarily, wouldn't the seperator catch any water generator by the breaking down of gas through the months of storage? Is the seperator a safeguard regardless of what winterization process you follow when it comes to gas in the tank?
VMS
Posted 9/20/2010 1:08 PM (#460104 - in reply to #460086)
Subject: Re: Fuel / water seperator and gas tank condensation

Hiya,

I believe the separator would catch it, but if you have a higher volume, I would be concerned that it may not do the job, potentially leaving you with an engine that will either a) not get any gas, or b) somehow get in the engine and run poorly. Depending on what part of the country you live in, you really may not have to deal with it at all. Northern states like MN, Wisconsin, etc I wouldn't worry about it so much since condensation will really only happen when there are days that have a bunch of heating and cooling going on where temps can rise and heat the tank, then fall back considerably. That just does not happen up here to any consistent enough extent to cause concern in my humble opinion. When it gets below freezing through the winter, it is so dry in most cases that condensation will not happen. Now...take states a little further south where humidity still can rise above 40% or so...then there is a bit more cause for concern....especially on those days where it might get below freezing, then temps rise into the 60's... if that happens with consistency, then condensation can be an issue when the boat sits in the sun where the tank can be heated up to some degree...

One can go either way with their tank...run it empty or store it full. The reason for going full is that when full there is really nowhere for the water to form, so it is not an issue. I have gotten into the habit of storing mine full and keep the fuel system filled with gas in the engine as well (stabilized fuel mind you..) Evaporation will occur, so I have felt that keeping the system 'wet' so to speak might reduce the potential of gum forming and clogging my jets...

If you decide to run empty, I would say fill up at the beginning of the season, go out a couple of times, then change your filter. Better to do it as a preventative issue rather than what can come if one lets it go.

Steve

Lake View
Posted 9/20/2010 2:33 PM (#460126 - in reply to #460086)
Subject: RE: Fuel / water seperator and gas tank condensation

Thanks, Steve. If you don't mind, your response led me to another question or two.

I am in northern MN. In northern climates, if temperature change / humidity and thus condensation are not a problem, what is the benefit of filling the tank prior to storing the boat? If condensation is more likely via an empty tank, but condensation isn't really an issue in northern latitudes, wouldn't the risk of gasoline deteriorating over 6-7 months be a bigger risk than leaving the tank empty?
Lake View
Posted 9/20/2010 2:37 PM (#460129 - in reply to #460086)

I didn't make this clear, but my question is more a general question and not specific to anoyone's particular process.

What I am really after is, is there a "right" way to store your boat for the winter specifically regarding the gas tank or is one way just as good as the other?
jakejusa
Posted 9/21/2010 10:58 AM (#460243 - in reply to #460086)

My boats have up to a 56 gal tank on them. By the time I put gas in the trucks and filled the boats my credit cards at the pumps were not accepted and I had to use 3 cards to get the job done and boats stored away! About 10 years ago I started by adding the fuel stabilizer to the tank and leaving them as close to MT as they are when we pull them off the water the last time. I always put them away with a new fuel filter in place, EFI's and have not had any problems. I do make sure the oil tank is full though. The stabilizer tazkes care of the tank, I add non-oxygenated fuel in the spring and away we go. Even good fuel starts to break down over the winter, and I have a better use for $180.00 per boat than sitting in the gas tank. Worksfor me anyway
Almost-B-Good
Posted 9/21/2010 12:43 PM (#460258 - in reply to #460086)

I always add fuel stabilizer in the amount for storage and fill the tank to the top. Never had a problem doing it that way. I have a clear bowl fuel/water seperator and have not noticed anything in the bowl that looks like water. Plus gas is always cheaper in late fall than in spring when you want to use the boat the first time. A full tank makes for a cheap first week of fishing.
VMS
Posted 9/21/2010 1:14 PM (#460263 - in reply to #460086)

Hiya,

To be honest, I don't think there would ever be a "right way" of leaving the boat, so long as what fuel is in there or in the fuel system is not stabilized...that is where the issue comes in. Unstabilized fuel breaks down and can gum up an engine quick.

Here in MN, I think it would not matter either way if you leave the tank empty or full...I think you'd be safe either way...

Steve
Captain
Posted 9/23/2010 12:41 PM (#460571 - in reply to #460086)

I have never left a full tank of fuel in the boat over the winter. I usually have less than half a tank, but I put a liberal amount of Sea Foam in the tank. Miracle worker.
I love the stuff.
Granted, up to this year I have been dealing with an older 2 stroke and this year I have a brand new 4 stroke EFI so ask me in the Spring how this procedure worked I guess.
At any rate, I always preferred to stabilize in Fall and fill the tank in Spring with fresh gas.
Usually the first time out mine was one of the few boats that would start, but I know many dont do anything in the Fall and that is a huge mistake.
leech lake strain
Posted 9/26/2010 1:01 PM (#460855 - in reply to #460086)

depending on the size of your tank is the big deal when it comes to fuel! the smaller the amount the quicker it goes bad, espicially if oil is premixed with it! smaller tanks carried on board should be either completley topped off and stabilizer added so no condesation occurs! after the tanks are taken care of the motor should be winterized before putting away (fogged) unless the manufacturer says elsewise
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)