Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: From my daughter, "Oh no, I agree with my dad. It's a sure sign of the apocolypse."
- (Added by: Beaver)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> filling in belly hanger hole ?

Message Subject: filling in belly hanger hole ?
Fish With Teeth
Posted 8/25/2010 8:50 PM (#456743)
Subject: filling in belly hanger hole ?

When making wire thru baits. How do you fill the hole for the belly hook hanger. I drill a 5/16 inch hole for the seperate loop of wire I drop in that is caught by the main wire running thru the bait.
Right now I am dripping epoxy into the hole but, I am looking for a faster way.
wolftackle84
Posted 8/25/2010 9:29 PM (#456750 - in reply to #456743)
Subject: RE: filling in belly hanger hole ?

epoxy is the best way....it will hold up better also...
Norway pike
Posted 8/26/2010 3:55 AM (#456769 - in reply to #456743)
Subject: Re: filling in belly hanger hole ?

I use epoxy putty it's like working with clay.
Kingfisher
Posted 8/31/2010 8:19 AM (#457470 - in reply to #456769)

W e use several fillers. Tissue paper dipped in epoxy and or cedar sawdust mixed with epoxy into a paste. We use cardboard squares as little trowels to cut the excess off the bait. Mike
muskyjim
Posted 10/29/2010 9:28 PM (#465046 - in reply to #456743)

I fill the hole about three quarters of the way with hot glue melt wait a few minutes and top it off with 5 minute epoxy
zach2626
Posted 11/2/2010 7:22 AM (#465336 - in reply to #456743)

epoxy, epoxy, epoxy. mixing anything w/ it will make it weaker. also dont try to fill in the whole belly at one time. lay your wire, epoxy, let it dry and then attempt to smooth it out w/ another layer of epoxy. sand and you should be cool. i personally wouldn't use anything else but epoxy. feel free to use the 5 minute stuff but i think the slower stuff is far superior. also if you are using a hardwood there is no real reason to wire though imo.
Posted 11/2/2010 12:51 PM (#465396 - in reply to #456743)

Try using a toothpick to poke epoxy in the hole. Also, let the epoxy set up a little before using it. When it has just the right amount of stiffness, it will not drip in all the way. When it is just the right stiffness, you can also try turning the bait so the epoxy wants to drip back out of the hole--use gravity to move the glue for you. This will fill the opening instead of the entire hole.

Brian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)