Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Certain Rod for certain baits

Message Subject: Certain Rod for certain baits
Jomusky
Posted 8/11/2010 9:30 AM (#454515)
Subject: Certain Rod for certain baits

Anybody have a certain rod for a certain bait. One that makes all the difference.

I recently acquired a Lamiglasss 8' 6" rod on many friends recommendations. I was told it was golden for throwing Hard Heads (H2O Tackle). They were hands down right on the money. It makes a huge difference in bait action. Makes throwing the bigger baits so much easier too. Helps keep the fatigue down and keeps me from changing to an easier bait too. Figure 8's and fish control is better also. The big thing though is the action on the lure which makes the fish bite it.

Another that I have is a 10" Double weighted Suick and a Squirko on a 7'6" St. Croix Premier Heavy Rod. The fast retrieve speed and castability of the Shimano Curado on this helps too.

I have heard Bob Mehsikomer say that he uses a 6'6" Shimano for jackpots and he certainly is a god with that bait.

Edited by Jomusky 8/11/2010 9:33 AM
big gun
Posted 8/11/2010 11:39 AM (#454541 - in reply to #454515)
Subject: Re: Certain Rod for certain baits

My 7 or 7.5 all star rods are the best rods for suicks or other pull baits. BG
Grass
Posted 8/11/2010 1:46 PM (#454568 - in reply to #454541)

Joe, I'm still new at throwing Hard Heads, I've got a couple of them now, but no fish on them yet. Can you explain how the action is different with a longer rod? I'm throwing them with an 8' med heavy rod and just giving the rod little sweeps.

Thanks,
Grass
5th lake Brad
Posted 8/11/2010 5:57 PM (#454618 - in reply to #454515)
Subject: RE: Certain Rod for certain baits

St. Croix 7'10" H (handle extended) premier. For Weagles, for me, it can't be beat. It just feels right.
ToddM
Posted 8/11/2010 7:12 PM (#454630 - in reply to #454515)
Subject: RE: Certain Rod for certain baits

I like my 8ft heavy avid for gliders but my 9'3' okuma works for most everything else. I will get the hang of the 9'3" for gliders too but that rod is like gold when a fish is at the boat!
fish4musky1
Posted 8/11/2010 8:04 PM (#454641 - in reply to #454515)

I used to really like the shimano 6'8" xh for suicks and wtd lures but I tried an 8' mh croix and then began to use that for everything, it was not exactly better for working the lures but better for hooksets, fighting the fish, and most importantly figure 8's. This year I tried the 8'6" xh okuma and more figure 8 fish than ever.
Jomusky
Posted 8/11/2010 10:06 PM (#454682 - in reply to #454515)

As mentioned I think part of the 8'6" Lami for Hard Heads is how easy and less fatiguing. However, the big thing is that when the rod loads and unloads on the little pulls it makes the bait come alive. I wish I could explain it better but it's kind of like it is perfectly tuned for the bait. I hate to say it but I've had Hard Heads since they were prototypes 3 years ago and I just didn't see any magic....then I finally get the Lami and I can't wait to get back on the water to throw Hard Heads because it makes such a difference.

Todd: you are the third good stick that has mentioned the 9' 3" Okuma......there is now another rod on my list! 2 weeks ago I asked about them at Rollie & Helen's and they said they weren't out yet? Anybody know where you can get them? I heard the price is only like $120?
shaley
Posted 8/11/2010 10:59 PM (#454695 - in reply to #454682)

My 9' XH Tackle Industries has become my favorite rod for about all baits, makes my weagles come to life, great dawg rod, can be put to work on blades, and does a great job with jerkbaits...... also fig 8's great, holds fish great and a joy to fish with.... Gliders is one of the few baits I dont run on it, those and blades normaly go on my 9' H Predator....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)