Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Leech Lake vist

Message Subject: Leech Lake vist
ryanmitchell
Posted 6/8/2010 11:46 PM (#444597)
Subject: Leech Lake vist

Heading up to Leech for the first time end of the week for the first time. Any advice on lure selection for this time of year, with the warm Spring?

We are staying around Stoney point so any good spots around there would be helpful as well. We are going to spend plenty of time on the eyes, and I will be fishing out of a buddy's boat, so I want to bring my best hard baits in a deep Plano to conserve space. No room for the Lakewood! I will have all my bucktails ans spinnerbaits with as well. I heard black/orange in any conditions, but that seems like a given, though I normally throw nickel/gold in the sunshine.

Was thinking a small and large Phantom,couple Hellhounds, a gold/orange suick, jailbird shallow invader. Creeper, topraider, pacemaker for topwater

Any other suggestions or successful colors on Leech? Thanks in advance.
asteffes
Posted 6/9/2010 12:21 AM (#444598 - in reply to #444597)
Subject: RE: Leech Lake vist

I hope it is good for you. My experience has been tough til late June/early July......maybe warm temps will expediate the trend.

Good luck.
happy hooker
Posted 6/9/2010 2:12 PM (#444678 - in reply to #444598)

the best thing to bring/buy is a copy of the minnesota muskie guidebook so you can find another lake if frustrated,,,,,leech can be a very slow June bite even with an early spring,,,,if it is,, consider Baby in Longville,,little wolf,,, smaller bodys of water that may be warmer,,,Id say MANN lake too but the access at the resort is for customers only and you need to almost have be on an air mattress to get under the little channel bridge.
DKMKmuskyman
Posted 6/9/2010 5:37 PM (#444714 - in reply to #444597)
Subject: Re: Leech Lake vist

white skirts orange blades or black skirts and orange blades. and if nothing else is working then black and silver. on leech sometimes smaller is better. i dont recomend any cowgirls. jackpots can be good early season on leech as well.
djwilliams
Posted 6/9/2010 7:53 PM (#444723 - in reply to #444714)

Try Jim Murphy's site at fishingleechlake.com

I would try to get into Agency Bay for some muskies in the cabbage if I were that close to Stony. Go thru the Roosevelt Canal.

Hooker is right on about other lakes, especially if it's windy. Walleye bite ought to be good on Leech. Boy Lake is ok and has walleyes too. All the Longville lakes do too.
brmusky
Posted 6/9/2010 9:07 PM (#444734 - in reply to #444597)

From what I have been hearing, you have just as good of a chance at catching a musky while walleye fishing as you do targeting them on Leech right now. I have heard of lots of muskies caught by walleye anglers with a jig and shiner in the weeds. Legend is that Leech usually turns on just after the 4th of July.
ryanmitchell
Posted 6/9/2010 10:30 PM (#444742 - in reply to #444734)

Thanks for the info guys. I will post upon return. Gonna focus on the eyes mostly, but want to take a few hours each day and cast for the.

One combo I dont have is white/orange, interesting. We will try and find some good green cabbage and throw some bucktails, spinners and topwater. I only have one jackpot that I repainted myself (chart/black dots). Got a couple weagles (blue/silver and frog) and a new black softail viper. Those last three are large dogwalkers though.

Any advice on good spots around stony for walleyes? Or recent hot techniques? Still transition to leech/crawler rigs? Jig/minnow still working? We have three guys in the boat so Im sure we will have a few diff presentations until we develop a hot pattern.

ryanmitchell
Posted 6/9/2010 11:34 PM (#444752 - in reply to #444742)

DJ

I just found Roosevelt canal on the map, nice little shortcut. Thanks.
Baby Mallard
Posted 6/10/2010 12:08 AM (#444757 - in reply to #444752)

I know a guy who fishes walleyes a lot on Leech and he has been crushing them on a jig and a minnow. I never asked what kind of minnows or where...so you are on your own there. Good luck.
thescottith
Posted 6/10/2010 7:12 AM (#444763 - in reply to #444757)

SHinner Minnow with a green or white jig is the way to go.
jakejusa
Posted 6/10/2010 8:46 AM (#444770 - in reply to #444597)

We ran up there for a couple hours last Saturday. Went out of Stoney and actually was able to park in the landing lot! Just hit it right as there were only two open spaces. Mokey reef produced as it got dark. We didn't have allot of time but caught around 6 eye's shiners & jigs 1/4 & 1/8th oz using them almost like a rig. Made about 8 casts with a crankbait but they would not go for me. I did not get to do anything Muskie almost all weekend, made about 50 casts raised one on a naked spinner. (different lake)
brmusky
Posted 6/11/2010 12:46 PM (#445033 - in reply to #444597)

I caught fish on a jig and shiner and also on crawlers last weekend. The shiners are still shallow and should be finishing up spawning pretty soon now, then it will start to switch over to mostly crawlers around here.
ryanmitchell
Posted 6/15/2010 10:16 PM (#445777 - in reply to #444597)

We had a good trip to Leech. I know this is a muskie forum, but the info shared in this thread ended up leaning towards the walters. The guys I was with focused more on the walters and that was fine with me. We must have caught close to 20 fish over 20 inches in 2+ days. Everything from 18-25". I caught the 25" in 4 feet of water.

Minnow and leeches on regular lindys. 3 of us. Chris and I were on the leeches, Mike was on the minnows. Pretty good catches on both. First half of the trip east wind was blowing and the bite was hot, 2nd half wind died, and the bite slowed down.

It ended up being a lot of fun. Mostly relaxing and many cold ones downed. Walleye fishing is fun. Nothing like having that nibble on your line.
ryanmitchell
Posted 6/15/2010 10:18 PM (#445779 - in reply to #445777)

When the wind really calms down and is almost dead, where do you guys look fo the fish? We find a good spot and kept going back there, but the bite was slowed down. We tried trolling cranks and picked up a few rock bass, but hard to get back on the walters?

Fish deeper, faster??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)