Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tackle Industries Rod

Message Subject: Tackle Industries Rod
mcgeissler
Posted 3/14/2010 6:36 AM (#428778)
Subject: Tackle Industries Rod

Looking at possibly buying a rod from Tackle Industries for the purpose of pitching mainly big plastics. Specifically for throwing the Mag SuperD (70% of the time) and also the MegaD (30% of the time). I have heard good things on the forum about them, but have never actually held one. Should I purchase the Mega Heavy 9" (8-36OZ) or the Mag Heavy 9" (3-12OZ)? Is the Mega Heavy extremely stiff?? Thanks for the help.
Ifishtolive
Posted 3/14/2010 3:03 PM (#428863 - in reply to #428778)
Subject: RE: Tackle Industries Rod

I have the 8/6-9' Mega Heavy and a 7/6-8' Mega for my son. We were out on Webster yesterday and I only brought Super dee's and Mag Dawgs with me. The rod throws them great and the right tip for the big plastics. When I first bought them in Nov. I tried them out with Pounders out in the yard you can really get good distances with them, they load up just right. The reason I bought them was the extra four inches on the lower grip, you get so much more leverage with it. I have a 9' Supermag I used to use and these rods are a bit better IMO the fatter cork is great too! ( I'd love it a little fatter!). I was in Ye Old Tackle Box yesterday after fishing and looked at some of the Okuma's, they are a bit heavier than the TI's. Other than Jame's rod the only other one I would consider for Pounders is Mike Hulbert's when they come out!
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/14/2010 5:24 PM (#428885 - in reply to #428778)
Subject: Re: Tackle Industries Rod

I think you will be happy with the XXH Mega Heavy. I personally use it to throw everythign form 7" Suicks to big rubber. I tested them on the 2lb Bulldawgs. FYI-Throwing a 2lb Bulldawg for long will put your back out for about a month
Jeff Anderson
Posted 3/14/2010 11:03 PM (#428937 - in reply to #428778)
Subject: RE: Tackle Industries Rod

I would go with the rod James recommended. I used the XXH last season and really like the rod for super Ds and mega Ds. I am going to rig another one this season with a lefty reel for fishing big rubber on the starboard side of the boat.
MuskieMruz
Posted 3/20/2010 9:44 AM (#430012 - in reply to #428778)

I love my 9 foot XXH. It handled everything great and you will notice allot less stress on the body. I have the XH as well and both are great rods. You can't beat the price.
curleytail
Posted 3/20/2010 2:34 PM (#430044 - in reply to #428778)

For those that have the XXH, is it a really stiff broomstick rod like the Musky Innovations rod that is rated to 40 oz, or does it still have some tip bend in it? Can any of you compare the action/power of the rod to something else?

Thanks!

curleytail
mcgeissler
Posted 3/20/2010 4:30 PM (#430064 - in reply to #428778)

That is kind of the jist of my original question, but curleytail phrased it much better.
archerynut36
Posted 3/20/2010 7:28 PM (#430087 - in reply to #428778)

i also agree, i have owned a ton of rods and from now on they are the rods for me and my clients, they are well worth every penny in gold for what you can throw on them, on the xxh will throw anything from jerks to gliders big blades, to pounders and workes them with ease, and the xh will throw small bucks to mag d's both rods are well worht the money you wont be disapointed ...bill

Edited by archerynut36 3/20/2010 7:36 PM
jeff anderson
Posted 3/20/2010 10:08 PM (#430111 - in reply to #430087)

I'm not sure this will totally answere the question, but maybe this will help. I have both the XXH and the XH. I have casted rubber with both. For pounders/mega Ds I prefer the XXH. For double 10s I have used both the XXH and the XH. With the XH I could cast farther and get less backlashes using a high speed Avet MXL with double 10s than with the stiffer tipped XXH. I use the XXH with a right handed Tekota 500 for use with rubber on the port side of the boat. This year I will be using a left handed 7001 with the XXH for use with rubber on the starboard side of the boat. (my left hand is not strong enough to get a consistent good hook set on the starboard side of the boat using a right handed reel with big rubber) I use the XH with an Avet MXL for burning double 10/12s. If I was going to use one with a glide bait I feel either the XH or XXH would work fine. I would probably choose the XH first though.
shaley
Posted 3/20/2010 10:18 PM (#430114 - in reply to #430111)

I throw the 13oz Curlies, similar to the super mag d on my 9' XH and love it over my 8' MI monster mag 40oz broomstick.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)