Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Cabela's Guidewear?

Message Subject: Cabela's Guidewear?
5th lake Brad
Posted 12/26/2009 2:03 PM (#414173)
Subject: Cabela's Guidewear?

So my wife got me the bibs and parka for christmas. I had asked for the insulated ones which is what she got. My question is , do I really want the insulation? Seems that they would be a one season set. If its warmer than 35 will it be too much? I fish in nasty weather, late in the year about 10-15 times a year and have got by with a Stearns rainsuit over a few layers. Never really seemed that bad. What are everyone's opinions , Do I exchange one or both pieces for uninsulated? I never go ice fishing and have never trolled if that changes anything. Would I regret either way down the road? Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!!!!!!
RiverMan
Posted 12/26/2009 2:55 PM (#414178 - in reply to #414173)
Subject: Re: Cabela's Guidewear?

I love mine........yes the are warm but if it's cold you will be very glad you have them. Get some waterproof boots and you are ready for anything.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 12/26/2009 3:26 PM (#414179 - in reply to #414178)

Why not keep both? Less underneath = Less bulk. That is how I like to fish in nasty weather.
Pepper
Posted 12/26/2009 4:07 PM (#414180 - in reply to #414173)

If it is warmer then 35 degrees I believe you will find them to be to much. I have always layered up and then removed layers as needed.
5th lake Brad
Posted 12/26/2009 5:45 PM (#414189 - in reply to #414180)

Let me throw another wrench into this... Just got back from the store. If I do trade in the insulated for regular I will have enough money left over for a St croix premier rod. I put the set on hold , which are all on sale. Going back tomorrow after i decide. I think I will just put a couple more layers on if it's cold. Thanks guy's !!!
Chasin50
Posted 12/26/2009 5:47 PM (#414191 - in reply to #414173)
Subject: RE: Cabela's Guidewear?

I use 3 different outfits for rain/snow while fishing. I have uninsulated guidewear for spring and early fall and layer with fleece as needed. However, it is too heavy for summer where I use a BPS lightweight gore-tex parka/bib set. If I am going to fish in really cold weather (under 35), I have a Cabelas insulated camo hunting parka and bibs. I use it for deer hunting and november/december fishing.

If I didn't hunt and did not need the heavy insulated camo set, I would probably use insulated guide wear for April, Nov, and Dec, and use a light weight set like the BPS Gore-tex for the rest of the warmer season and layer as needed.

TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/26/2009 7:20 PM (#414196 - in reply to #414191)

Your situation is a tough one. Me personally, after finally getting insulated gear and not having to layer a whole lot, it sure allows me to have better freedom of movement. Sure wish I would have invested in insulated stuff a long time ago. However, I use my Cabela's uninsulated rain gear a whole lot more from May to early October with not much layering. If I had to make a decision and it can only be one or the other, I'd definitely go with the uninsulated imo.
esoxfly
Posted 12/26/2009 7:23 PM (#414197 - in reply to #414173)

I'm with Chad. I have several sets of rain gear to cater to the conditions, but I wear my bibs and parka late fall all the way up through December 15th. They're not insulated, and I layer accordingly with fleece and such to meet the conditions. I actually feel like I add more bulk with insulated outerwear than with more baselayers. I learned that lesson back in my trekking/mountaineering days. I dare you to find an insulated shell. Everything is base layer/mid layer/top layer/shell. If it's a good enough approach for Mt. Rainier, it's good enough for muskie fishing. (I'm not speaking of expedition weight down outter layers for use above 8000 m where there is no GTX shell because it's too cold for the snow to melt and it never rains.)

I say get the uninsulated and layer up from underneath.
Yake Bait
Posted 12/26/2009 9:07 PM (#414203 - in reply to #414173)

I have the uninsulated bibs and jacket but got them big enough that I can layer underneath with whatever I need. Haven't had any regrets with this strategy and I do wear the gear, especially the bibs, year round.
WI Skis
Posted 12/27/2009 12:17 PM (#414264 - in reply to #414173)

I would also go with the uninsulated and add some good base layers as needed. Love my Guidewear!!!

Peter
esoxaddict
Posted 12/27/2009 1:56 PM (#414267 - in reply to #414173)

I've got three sets myself (not from Cabela's, though). I really like the insulated stuff, because you don't need a lot of layers underneath. In fact you don't even need long underwear. I'll usually just wear jeans underneath it. For the top layer, just a t-shirt and a hoodie. Once the temperature gets up into the 40's though, you bake in the stuff. I wouldn't return it though. I went with the regular non-insulated rain hear for a few seasons and layered underneath with polypro, wool, and fleece. That worked, but it made moving around difficult, and I did get cold on a few occasions. Granted it was 28 degrees and 35MPH winds. I have NEVER been cold wearing my insulated rain gear, even late in the fall fishing live bait when you're basically just sitting there.

I've tried just about every combination of layers and several types of rain gear. IMO the best approach is to have several sets.
happy hooker
Posted 12/28/2009 5:52 AM (#414318 - in reply to #414267)

i live in Minnesota where its "Really cold" I would never buy insulated rain gear,,,theres so many new state of the art cold weather clothes to wear under it why bother, and they keep advancing the tech,,most times when you combine things its middle of the road performance,,you can always add more clothes but you cant take off built in insulation. Ive also found that if you get anything insulated wet which happens from tine to time even if it is waterproof its a loooong time drying out.
tmag
Posted 12/29/2009 2:11 PM (#414455 - in reply to #414173)
Subject: RE: Cabela's Guidewear?

I actually bought my Dad the older style which was one sale. This style actually had a zip-out windstopping fleece liner on the parker. Also, because he is a little heavy across the middle, we got him the pants which have a zip vs. the bibs which don't unzip all the way down.

He loves them!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=00311...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=00311...
RiverMan
Posted 12/29/2009 4:22 PM (#414464 - in reply to #414173)

I live in Oregon and although we don't get the winters the midwest does we are still commonly fishing in weather in the 20's 30's and 40's. With my insulated guide-wear bibs and coat, I put on a thin pair of under armor, my levis, a wool sweater, the bibs, the coat, wool gloves, hat, and waterproof boots and I am ready for anything. I can stand out in 20 degree weather all day or in driving rain for 12 hours straight and be totally comfortable. I find the insulation to be perfect because I don't have to put on very much beneath it. For warmer weather I have my raingear. I have only had this gear a few years, wish I had it 20 ago, I love it!

Last year during our spring chinook season we had non-stop rain. It rained from before light until dark every single day. I sat out for a solid week from light til dark and never got in the least bit wet and stayed totally warm the entire time.................guide wear is amazing!

RM

Edited by RiverMan 12/29/2009 4:26 PM
Pal
Posted 12/29/2009 4:29 PM (#414465 - in reply to #414464)

I just got the insulated guidewear, and so far it is great. I will be using mainly for early and late season fishing, but I also have been wearing this winter with no problems to speak of. I went with insulated, as it gives me more movement, when I looked at the non-insulated, the layering I would need did not work well as I tried both out.

Pal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)