Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> One week of vacation. Where should I go?

Message Subject: One week of vacation. Where should I go?
one last cast
Posted 7/4/2009 7:39 PM (#387076)
Subject: One week of vacation. Where should I go?

I have one week of vacation next week, and I am trying to decide where I want to go fishing. I am bringing my girlfriend with me, and she doesn't do too well with big water/big waves so to speak (motion sickness). I definitely want to go somewhere where there is a good shot at catching a 50." I figure this would be the best place to ask what everyone thinks. I am wondering what everyones ideas are in northern Wisconsin or Minnesota ? Where is a good bite aound this time?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Edited by one last cast 7/4/2009 9:52 PM
eric001
Posted 7/4/2009 10:26 PM (#387090 - in reply to #387076)
Subject: Re: One week of vacation. Where should I go?

if your looking to get away from people go to n.min/wis- if you dont care about a crowd head to the twin cities/madison
in the twin cities you can fish different lakes each day/ in madison you could spend all week on the chain and the wis river- personaly id pack up a tent get a cabin lined up for n.wis- Id look into staying in the eagle river area and fishing northern vilas co. hey its your vacation- enjoy it
Ifishskis
Posted 7/5/2009 8:56 AM (#387126 - in reply to #387076)
Subject: RE: One week of vacation. Where should I go?

Chippewa Flowage without a doubt. Beautiful scenery. Big fish potential. Lots of places to stay (should be able to find an open cabin somewhere). Easy to fish.

I wish I could go!!!!
Posted 7/5/2009 9:10 AM (#387129 - in reply to #387076)

Phillips WI is a great place to stay it has some great fishing and its right between Hayward and Minocqua. About an hour either way.
Medford Fisher
Posted 7/5/2009 10:46 AM (#387140 - in reply to #387076)

I would definitely think about heading to Lake Vermilion...so many areas to fish and you can stay out of the big water and still be on plenty of fish. The scenery up there is great and you can camp or stay at a resort. If you're planning on staying in a cabin/resort, I would definitely reccommend Spring Bay Resort. Steve would be glad to help you find the fish and he fishes a lot of weedy areas where you can be away from the open water.
I've also spent my last two summers up here in northeastern Wisconsin and it's a really neat area. Lots of different bodies of water to fish all within driving distance. The only negatve is the chance of getting a 50" are much, much lower here than on Vermilion. There's definitely plenty around, but finding them and catching them is much more difficult.
Good luck wherever you end up and enjoy the week.
-Jake Bucki
PSYS
Posted 7/5/2009 12:22 PM (#387147 - in reply to #387126)

Ifishskis - 7/5/2009 8:56 AM

Chippewa Flowage without a doubt. Beautiful scenery. Big fish potential. Lots of places to stay (should be able to find an open cabin somewhere). Easy to fish.

I wish I could go!!!! :(

+1 Chippewa Flowage!
THE FERD
Posted 7/5/2009 3:46 PM (#387175 - in reply to #387076)

I just spent a weeks vacation on my local waters that I know very well and fish often and had a blast . I saved a ton of cash by not staying in a campground or a hotel and I was home with my wife and kids every night ! I will take a week off every year and do the same thing .

Lance McFeely
"THE FERD"
Ferg Daddy
Posted 7/5/2009 6:27 PM (#387196 - in reply to #387076)

Kentuck Lake just east of Eagle River is a good lake for all fishing. My father was there last week catching 15" crappies on small spinners and had 3 muskies follow up. One of them he said had to be 50" plus. The Eagle River area is a great place to go. Just my 2 cents.
[email protected]
Posted 7/6/2009 1:56 AM (#387244 - in reply to #387076)

Id head up to Cass Lake, stayed there last year for a week, are group boated 5 fish biggest 46. saw a lot of fish 13 50+
dogonpoint
Posted 7/6/2009 9:58 PM (#387392 - in reply to #387076)

Vermillion would be a great choice, or some of the other "off" lakes in Northern MN...Miltona, Big, Bemidji, all have 50" fish in them. Lots of other fishing options too if she wants to fish for bait.
RiverMan
Posted 7/6/2009 11:01 PM (#387403 - in reply to #387076)

I know you are thinking about Musky, but if you wanna catch a "big" fish..................head for the Columbia River in Oregon and fish for Sturgeon. You and your wife would be guaranteed multiple fish over 8 feet in length every single day. One fish will turn your arms to rubber after a 30-60 minute battle on 100# test.

RM

Edited by RiverMan 7/6/2009 11:05 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMGP2364.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMGP2364.JPG (166KB - 114 downloads)
Hawkeye
Posted 7/8/2009 3:06 PM (#387680 - in reply to #387076)

That's kind of hard to answer, as it kind of depends how much you can spend. Places like Vermillion are top notch, but they will be the most expensive.

If you are going to take your own boat and just rent a cabin for a week, you might get it done for $1000 on the Chip. (Gas, rental, etc.) Maybe less...

Heck, if your willing to 'rough it' a little, you can camp out on one of the islands there. Your odds are not GREAT on catching a 50+ there, but they are in there and are caught from time time to time.

It's a big lake, at 16,000 acres, but the islands keep the wind down some. So you can always find somewhere that won't give her sea-sickness.
Mauser
Posted 7/9/2009 9:52 PM (#387871 - in reply to #387076)

Land O' Lakes, Wisc. So much great fisning within a hours drive,and some of the best within 30 minutes.
Beautiful country, lots of great musky, walleye, bass in these many lakes, along with enought pike to keep things interesting on lighter tackle.
Just my $.02 worth
Mauser
Ferg Daddy
Posted 8/10/2009 9:10 AM (#393372 - in reply to #387076)

Where did you end up going, and how was it?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)