Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing A Lake You've Never Fished...?

Message Subject: Fishing A Lake You've Never Fished...?
PSYS
Posted 6/27/2009 4:49 PM (#385939)
Subject: Fishing A Lake You've Never Fished...?

Since I just recently moved to Wisconsin not too long ago. And I've not really been into the sport of musky fishing all that long either... I'm wondering how most musky fisherman approach an upcoming trip to a lake they've never fished before?

I've done quite a bit of bass fishing with my buddies in Minnesota and typically, it's quite easy to run the trolling motor (or even anchor the boat) parallel to the shore and begin fan-casting the area. Docks are also an easy giveaway and a simple structure to cast.

Assuming a lake map can be obtained... how does the average musky fisherman compensate for fishing a new body of water?
Mauser
Posted 6/27/2009 10:51 PM (#385981 - in reply to #385939)
Subject: Re: Fishing A Lake You've Never Fished...?

In the spring/early summer , I look for shallow, protected areas ( spawning grounds) and fish the areas with weeds and rocks closest to them. Later in the year, I look for large weedbeds and offshore structure, hunps and underwater points.
If no map available, drop the trolling motor and fish,
Works for me,
Mauser

Mauser
bassinbob84
Posted 6/27/2009 11:22 PM (#385984 - in reply to #385939)

In spring I start on shallow flats then work deeper as the water warms. Mid lake structure and outside weedlines til fall.
tuffy1
Posted 6/28/2009 8:28 AM (#385991 - in reply to #385984)

Since most Wisconsin lakes aren't all that big, picking them apart can be relatively easy when mapping. Look at the map and find the spawning bays, then move to the nearest structure outside of the spawning bays. Maybe a point that is nearby, a reef that is close, or even a weedline outside of the bay. Then as the season progresses move to more main lake type structures that fit a progression from the spawning bay and it will give you a starting point. Don't forget about checking for suspendos as well between structures and also in true open water.

It's an easy progression to figure out when looking at a map, and then you can get dialed in from there once you see what each spot actually contains (ie a finger sticking off a point, a rock pile at the tip of a reef, change in weed types etc).
PSYS
Posted 6/28/2009 3:22 PM (#386051 - in reply to #385939)

Thanks a lot for the replies, you guys...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)