Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> ely area musky lakes

Message Subject: ely area musky lakes
lloyd christmas
Posted 5/29/2013 6:43 PM (#643967)
Subject: ely area musky lakes

looking for a place in n. mn to take family for a 4 day weekend. vermillion area or ely area doesn't matter. musky lake with other gamefish for kids. i'm open to other areas in northern mn. any help would be great, thanks.
muskyhunter47
Posted 5/29/2013 6:51 PM (#643969 - in reply to #643967)
Subject: Re: ely area musky lakes

vermillion would be my 1st choice

Edited by muskyhunter47 5/29/2013 6:52 PM
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/29/2013 7:33 PM (#643981 - in reply to #643969)

If you want to fish Muskies in the arrowhead region of Minnesota, Vermillion is it. The Ely area has some great lakes and scenery but not much for Muskies. It's only about 45min away, you could hit both.
lloyd christmas
Posted 5/29/2013 7:47 PM (#643987 - in reply to #643967)

looking for scenery yes, is the walleye fishing good, and panfish? got to keep the kids happy. Always wanted to try BIG V. Just heard summer is tough.
Jeremy
Posted 5/29/2013 8:22 PM (#643992 - in reply to #643967)

The Big V. is tough come July time. Early season May/June is fine for those walleyes but get lost around the warmer weeks.

From my personal exp. right after the 4th the walleyes get hard to locate, the muskies really aren't for kids (and you'll work for 'em) and the panfish can be found wherever you find that one or two weeds...*G*

Really, the Rusty crayfish have buggered up my best panfish spots but they can be found when you locate weeds. The lake has changed over the last 5-6 yrs bigtime from what I've experienced. Not so sure the kids will be thrilled...unless you get into the weedy bays like ...

Keep the weedbeds to yourself. Both of 'em....

Kidding...but not by much. For my kids, I'd take them to a smaller lake with dark, shallow weeded bays but you'll lose the muskies.

Edited by Jeremy 5/29/2013 8:24 PM
hooked
Posted 5/29/2013 9:08 PM (#643998 - in reply to #643992)

+1 on the V. I was lucky enough to spend my first 24 summers there (back before it was a musky lake), and I brought my kids there for the first time last year. They loved every minute of it and we booked our July trip this year just as soon as we got home. Yes, the fishing is tougher in July, but the bugs aren't as bad, the weather is a little more reliable, and the water is finally warm enough for swimming by then! My 12 year old lost his first musky 20 minutes into the trip and now he's hooked too.

If you go, take a night and make a road trip to the bear sanctuary in Orr. Your kids will love it!
Musky Brian
Posted 5/29/2013 11:32 PM (#644031 - in reply to #643987)

lloyd christmas - 5/29/2013 7:47 PM

looking for scenery yes, is the walleye fishing good, and panfish? got to keep the kids happy. Always wanted to try BIG V. Just heard summer is tough.

As stated Vermilion is about the only option in the arrowhead with resort access AND muskies. There's a few backwoods puddle lakes but that is a camping only deal.

Prioritize how important the need for Muskies are. I grew up fishing Ely and it is much more quiet and peaceful then Vermilion is, and there are plenty of lakes with great multi species fishing that are going to be far less developed/more scenic. Depends on what you are looking for I suppose
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)