Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Phantom Viper Topwater

Message Subject: Phantom Viper Topwater
fishfirst92
Posted 3/24/2012 11:10 AM (#548211)
Subject: Phantom Viper Topwater

Taking a look at these lures and wondering if they're any good. Has anybody tried them? Do they really run that much lower than your typical walk the dog baits? Both the regular viper and the soft tail. Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks,
Brandon
GREENANDBLUE
Posted 3/24/2012 11:40 AM (#548218 - in reply to #548211)
Subject: RE: Phantom Viper Topwater

Yes, I have used a couple of the Phantom Viper Topwaters. I throw the 8" 4oz Viper and I've found it to "stay down" in the water, displacing the water a little bit differently than the other lighter "walk-the-dog" top-waters. The viper also seems to roll a little giving it a different action.
Although, I've yet to catch a musky on a Viper it's a unique top-water lure that I always have in my box because one of these days it's going to get smashed. Good Luck and pick one up!
fishfirst92
Posted 3/24/2012 1:37 PM (#548236 - in reply to #548211)
Subject: Re: Phantom Viper Topwater

Thanks man. Since it sits lower does it displace more water and make more noise?
Muskerboy
Posted 3/24/2012 3:16 PM (#548249 - in reply to #548211)

It's still a head bobbing type topwater, but I prefer them over jackpots. Seems to run a little lower and durability is quite a bit better.
Chris Munchow
Posted 3/24/2012 3:29 PM (#548252 - in reply to #548211)
Subject: RE: Phantom Viper Topwater

Great lures, I use them a ton. Check out my videos on youtube if you want to see them in action. 
GREENANDBLUE
Posted 3/24/2012 4:45 PM (#548259 - in reply to #548236)

Yeah, not quite sure if it displaces more water but it has a unique "cadence" in the water that, IMO puts it in a class by itself from the other topwaters I have thrown. I suppose with a bit more time on the water with the lure you will definitely find some tricks with the Viper to make that mutha pop and bring the monsters smashing. Also, the lure works reel nice in a strong wind because of the weight of the lure. IMO, topwater is somewhat under used in certain circumstances and I will always have a topwater in the box. Try throwing a topwater over some neglected areas of a lake(i.e. open deep water) you'll be shocked at the Musky's that smash your lure so be ready.
catchandrelease
Posted 3/24/2012 5:50 PM (#548274 - in reply to #548211)

Can't speak for the Viper, but it's made by Phantom, so it's a quality lure. If you're looking for other options in topwaters I'll recommend Lee Lures. Made by Lee Tauchen (the guy on Big Fish 365 if you aren't familiar with him). He's a great guy and makes phenomenal topwaters. Multiple styles in several length options. His walk-the-dog lure is called a Fish Stick.

http://leelures.com/
JKahler
Posted 3/24/2012 8:13 PM (#548304 - in reply to #548211)

I've got an old wood one that rides just below the surface. All you can see is a slight z-wake on the surface.

Bought 2 of the plastic ones last year and I can't get one of them to work, haven't tried the other yet. I like a Weagle better, but maybe I'll throw the old wood one this year.
fishfirst92
Posted 3/25/2012 8:33 AM (#548367 - in reply to #548211)

Cool guys thanks for all the help! Chris I checked out your videos of the Viper getting smashed and man is that awesome! I'm gonna have to pick one of these babies up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)