Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Just bought my first boat!

Reply New post
Message Subject: Just bought my first boat!
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 9:15 AM (#540181)
Subject: Just bought my first boat!

Well after alot of looking at different models I went with the Alumacraft Dominator 185 Sport.
I am hoping I got a good price on the boat as i had it all rigged out and will be ready to fish when I get it. I bought it from my girlfriends cousin who owns Water Werks marina. What do you all think about $42000?
The boat is coming rigged with a yamaha f150 main motor and a yamaha 9.9 kicker with power trim/tilt and consol controls, 2 big john tourniment power doen riggers, the lowerance HDS 5 for the bow and the HDS 10 with insight bundle, side scan/ sown scan , and a minkota terrova with ipiolt. I also got a custom cover for it as well as the bimini top with full side and aft curtains.
Me being 23 I have never had a boat before and just know what I like as some of my friends dads have a boat similar to this. I do alot of salmon fishing on Lake Michigan wich is 15 minutes from my house so I wanted something big enough to safely take out there.
Please post your thoughts on the price and how I had the boat rigged.
vegas492
Posted 2/21/2012 9:30 AM (#540187 - in reply to #540181)
Subject: Re: Just bought my first boat!

I don't know that I could spend $42,000 on a boat and not get a Ranger.
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 9:33 AM (#540189 - in reply to #540181)

The rough water out here hates glass boats my friend has a 18' ranger and has neen in the shop 3 times for cracks. and its only an 06.
Plus i really didnt spend 42000 on the boat. That included all of the accesories. The base boat was alot cheaper.
jwelch
Posted 2/21/2012 9:36 AM (#540190 - in reply to #540181)
Subject: RE: Just bought my first boat!

What's the year? I would say you overpaid at 42000. Or I should say I wouldn't of bought it for that price. But I also will say I don't know much about downriggers and that sort of stuff. Looking at the boat ads on this board, there's a lot other boats on there I would shell out that kind of coin for before I would pay lower forties on an aluminum boat with a few fancy features.

Just my opinion thou but regardless I hope you enjoy your boat.

Jeremy

Edited by jwelch 2/21/2012 9:39 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 2/21/2012 9:43 AM (#540194 - in reply to #540190)

since your asking for an opinion...42 g's for an aluminum boat with only a 150 on it is WAY too much in my opinion. You could have stayed well under 30 and bought one barely used that was completely rigged out..
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 9:49 AM (#540197 - in reply to #540181)

Everything on the boat is brand new it is a 2012. the kicker motor and controlls set me back the most at 4700 secondly the lowerance units also cost just over 3000. I wanted to buy something brand new with all the warrenties. This is the first thing I have ever had new. I have never had a new car or anything like that. I know i am young and all but it is just one of those things that i wanted to do. I have a house and decently new truck. so the boat and house are my only two expences right now, and i just really wanted that new feeling and knowing that I am the only one who has used it.

Edited by nightrunner06 2/21/2012 9:50 AM
muskellunged
Posted 2/21/2012 10:02 AM (#540201 - in reply to #540181)

lets see some pics, sounds pricey but nice. congrats
Posted 2/21/2012 10:04 AM (#540204 - in reply to #540181)

nice boat, its yours, so your opinion is the only one that really matters
jonnysled
Posted 2/21/2012 10:12 AM (#540207 - in reply to #540204)

23 years old and never owned a boat dropping $42k on an aluminum boat with a 150 ... my first comment is i hope you own a home first with plenty of equity in it and second, i hope my kid goes to the same college and gets the same degree that you got. finally, if you make that kind of jingle at your age it's gonna suck cuz you won't have any time to go fishing.

on the boat ... having owned many over the years. 42k buys a lot of boat, a lot more than you just bought.

enjoy it and congratulations.

the post above mine says it best ... "nice boat, its yours, so your opinion is the only one that really matters" ...
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 10:22 AM (#540217 - in reply to #540207)

jonnysled - 2/21/2012 10:12 AM

23 years old and never owned a boat dropping $42k on an aluminum boat with a 150 ... my first comment is i hope you own a home first with plenty of equity in it and second, i hope my kid goes to the same college and gets the same degree that you got. finally, if you make that kind of jingle at your age it's gonna suck cuz you won't have any time to go fishing.

on the boat ... having owned many over the years. 42k buys a lot of boat, a lot more than you just bought.

the post above mine says it best ... "nice boat, its yours, so your opinion is the only one that really matters" ...

Thats the thing I do own my own house and I didn't go to college. I am just one luky bastard. I got into US steel a couple years ago and let me tell you it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The pay is great great retirement plan and awesome pension plan that we are gaurinteed to get. Lately these past 2 years life has been good real good. I will post some pics as soon as I get the boat at the house. It is suposed to take 8 weeks to be here.

I would also like to ask is there any orginization tha would allow me to help others i.e. like take a kid fishing or somehting? I would love to volinteer some of my free time and take some guys out for a day. Lately i have realised just how lucky I am with the position that I am in and would like to give some joy to others who dont have this.

Edited by nightrunner06 2/21/2012 10:25 AM
Wow
Posted 2/21/2012 11:05 AM (#540227 - in reply to #540181)

It looks like he didn't give you any family plan love. I just bought a new 9.9 Yamaha kicker with Thrustmaster remote throttle controls, installed by my dealer for $3200. They charged you $4700 for your kicker?

After you've already paid for something it's better not to ask others if you got a good price. It's good that things are going well for you, enjoy the boat and if you're happy with the price don't ask about it!
Almost-B-Good
Posted 2/21/2012 11:10 AM (#540231 - in reply to #540181)

Sounds like a great boat to me! Had a Competitor 185 for 19 years with a 150 and 15 kicker which got used on Lake Michigan a lot. I sure wouldn't worry about the price, it's the enjoyment you get from the boat that counts. The $$$ accessories add is unbelievable, and when you do it right the first time it adds up fast.

My first boat was glass and it took a terrible beating while I was learning the things experience teaches you. Aluminum is a lot more forgiving, especially dragging it up on shore in Canada for lunch!

You'll wind up adding more riggers and lots of different holders, a mast for boards, and other junk as you get used to the boat, trust me on that. Over the years you get to define your style of fishing and the boat will relect that. Before I gave up on the big lake I had the boat set so I could have run 4 riggers, 4 dipseys, and 6 flat lines with no problem if I could have fit enough people on board to cover the lines. You'll be there soon. Enjoy!
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 11:27 AM (#540237 - in reply to #540181)

The boat that I have been fishing out of for the last 6 years is an Alumacraft navigator 175 with close to the same set up as mine. I have liked it alot and have always wanted one of my own thats why I made the choices that I did on the boat as well as extras. I am very comfortable with all of the accesories and dont feel that there will be a huge learning curve so hopefully I can just start fishing not have to relearn everything that I already know. What would you guys recomend for a prop? It is coming with yamaha's performance prop that i belive is a 14 1/4x 18 pitch. I would like something that is a good all aroung performer as i will be doing some tubing with my sister and her friends as well.
jonnysled
Posted 2/21/2012 11:28 AM (#540238 - in reply to #540217)

nightrunner06 - 2/21/2012 10:22 AM

jonnysled - 2/21/2012 10:12 AM

Thats the thing I do own my own house and I didn't go to college. I am just one luky bastard. I got into US steel a couple years ago and let me tell you it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. The pay is great great retirement plan and awesome pension plan that we are gaurinteed to get. Lately these past 2 years life has been good real good. I will post some pics as soon as I get the boat at the house. It is suposed to take 8 weeks to be here.

I would also like to ask is there any orginization tha would allow me to help others i.e. like take a kid fishing or somehting? I would love to volinteer some of my free time and take some guys out for a day. Lately i have realised just how lucky I am with the position that I am in and would like to give some joy to others who dont have this.

depending on where you live there are a ton of groups and clubs to choose from. it sounds like you live close to the Great Lakes Fishery and if that's the case, with that boat i'd consider spending lots of time trolling salmon and walleyes with time on the edges musky fishing.

congrats on the job, home and boat! ... now, go get a dog!!

VMS
Posted 2/21/2012 11:29 AM (#540239 - in reply to #540181)

hiya,

Just looking at the boat with the two sonar unit combos, He's already at a tad under 30k.

The accessories are top of the line items, so getting up to $42,000 is definitely a possibility, although this is where shopping around comes in.

In my humble opinion, I think $42,000 is a bit steep by about $3000 or so if not a tad more but not by much. One must also consider service of the boat as well. If they have top notch service, then more power to it, but if the service stinks...well...that is another story..

Regardless, if you are happy with your purchase, money really is no issue.

Steve
Top H2O
Posted 2/21/2012 11:39 AM (#540241 - in reply to #540231)

Good for you,.......23yrs.old a great job, a house, and a NEW boat that you can be proud of. very Cool.

As a side note I'm a contractor for US Steel in Mt. Iron and Keewatin Mn. they seem to have a bunch of job openings, some of their Millwrights and Mechanics make $65,000.-$85,000. per yr. with overtime.

Nice Boat.

P.S. Steve , did you notice where I put the dollar sign ?! Yikes!!

Jerome
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 11:42 AM (#540242 - in reply to #540241)

Top H2O - 2/21/2012 11:39 AM

Good for you,.......23yrs.old a great job, a house, and a NEW boat that you can be proud of. very Cool.

As a side note I'm a contractor for US Steel in Mt. Iron and Keewatin Mn. they seem to have a bunch of job openings, some of their Millwrights and Mechanics make $65,000.-$85,000. per yr. with overtime.

Nice Boat.

P.S. Steve , did you notice where I put the dollar sign ?! Yikes!!

Jerome

thanks man. Yea I am ath the gary works. I work in #2 caster as a craneman i take the finnished slabs and stack them for the slab haulers to come get. I am pretty comfortable here living 10mins. from work and having the big lake in ourback yard its a nice spacious playgroung hahah.
nightrunner06
Posted 2/21/2012 11:46 AM (#540243 - in reply to #540239)

VMS - 2/21/2012 11:29 AM

hiya,

Just looking at the boat with the two sonar unit combos, He's already at a tad under 30k.

The accessories are top of the line items, so getting up to $42,000 is definitely a possibility, although this is where shopping around comes in.

In my humble opinion, I think $42,000 is a bit steep by about $3000 or so if not a tad more but not by much. One must also consider service of the boat as well. If they have top notch service, then more power to it, but if the service stinks...well...that is another story..

Regardless, if you are happy with your purchase, money really is no issue.

Steve

Thank you and i would like to say that it is my familys shop that is in a bit of a bind. They do have top notch service and are willing to store the boat for me for free during winter. I didnt mind the price being that its going to good people. As for what i got on the boat i feel that it was a fair price and I tust that it will be done right the first time.
pike2772
Posted 2/21/2012 2:36 PM (#540272 - in reply to #540181)

Since you have that 9.9 kicker you can try Wolf Lake for Musky. The lake has a motor size restriction I believe of 10 and under only. Check our Mik Lurch Tackles site or store for pics of muskies caught over there. Congratulations on the new boat! As long as you are happy nothing else matters.
sworrall
Posted 2/21/2012 6:10 PM (#540317 - in reply to #540181)

Should be a sweet ride, I hope you slime her quickly. Ge-Rome, THANKS for applying that dollar sign where it belongs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)