Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Metro tiger lakes

Message Subject: Metro tiger lakes
Ogandrews
Posted 4/29/2024 6:09 PM (#1028099)
Subject: Metro tiger lakes

I live in the cities and have fished a few of the tiger lakes but really haven’t put much time into them. I’m curious if anyone on here regularly fishes them. It seems like I never hear people talk about them much. I’m thinking about spending more time on them this year to get away from some of the pressure. Every one I have caught has been on smaller rubber or smaller cranks, do you guys fish them much differently than pure muskies? I noticed that the fish I caught would almost all be out deeper in summer and fall. Curious to have any input from people who fish them
Guzzler
Posted 5/2/2024 12:24 PM (#1028176 - in reply to #1028099)
Subject: Re: Metro tiger lakes

Not sure this helps much, but my brother used to live on Cedar Lake just north of New Prague. This lake was only stocked with tiger muskies. The biggest we got out of there was 44.5" which was caught during the metro tourney years ago - I think in 2004. I am unsure if they stock it or not anymore. But that being said, we caught quite a few tigers there, and I would say most were caught fishing off of the weed edges in deeper water. That was easily our best pattern. Our best times were before the big bloom came on the lake towards early-mid July. There were a lot of carp in there that did not help that issue. We had a really good 3 or 4 week period of catching nice fish there. We saw some fish that were larger than what we caught (by other anglers) and had some follows from fish pushing 48" plus but never boated any of them. At one time we thought we might have a chance of getting a 50" tiger out of there but never accomplished that goal. Small bucktails and jerk-baits (6" reef hawg) worked well for us. Good luck if you go there. It would be interesting to see what you run in to as I have not fished there in probably 12 or 13 years. Send a report if you get anything. Tight lines!
gimruis
Posted 5/2/2024 1:25 PM (#1028179 - in reply to #1028176)
Subject: Re: Metro tiger lakes

I have been specifically targeting tiger muskies for 7 years now in 3 metro-area lakes that are stocked with them. I'm not going to specifically list the lakes on a public forum.

I've boated over 40 of them since 2017, my biggest is 41 inches. My best season was in 2017 when I boated 8 total. The last 2 seasons I had one on each season that were significantly bigger - 45 to 50 inchers, and the other person fishing with me can verify it as we both got a good look at each one. Unfortunately they both spit the hooks. Until I visually saw those fish, I didn't think tiger muskies could actually get that big. A 40 incher is big, a 45 or 50 seems almost unheard of, but they exist.

You can definitely downsize your presentation when compared to targeting pure strains. Like almost "bass sized" tackle. Bigger lures still work but you limit the number of fish you target to just larger ones if you go that route. I tend to catch a lot of northern pike along the way too, of various sizes. I don't mind catching 30 inch tigers either, so I often throw smaller lures than usual.

My best period is in the late summer/early fall when the water temps are 65-75 degrees. Outside of that range I can't develop a pattern. Also, clouds/rain play a major role. Its gotten to the point where its not even worth trying if the sun is out and I only go when its rainy or cloudy. I've tried a couple times at night but that's been a bust.

Hope that helps you
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)