Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Will be diving on a muskie lake next weekend...

Message Subject: Will be diving on a muskie lake next weekend...
BenR
Posted 6/20/2009 8:43 PM (#384757)
Subject: Will be diving on a muskie lake next weekend...

I am finishing up my certification for scuba next weekend on a muskie lake...just in time for a trip to Playa de Carmen....I am looking forward to seeing one if I am so lucky...either way will be good to see it from their point of view.....

Edited by BenR 6/20/2009 9:03 PM
ClintV
Posted 6/20/2009 9:32 PM (#384761 - in reply to #384757)
Subject: RE: Will be diving on a muskie lake next weekend...

That would be a great experience! I have always wanted to dive out on someof my favorite rock reefs and see how everything works and were they all stage around the reefs. Let us know how it goes.
jimkinner
Posted 6/20/2009 9:48 PM (#384764 - in reply to #384757)
Subject: Re: Will be diving on a muskie lake next weekend...

Good luck on your open water dives. It's a great sport.

I would advise you to take the ferry over to Cozumel. IMO the diving's better, the operators are better, and Playa has no harbor, so you are asked to swim out to the boats anchored off the beach. If the waves are rolling in, you are going to take a beating. So will your gear. The activities people at most resorts will try and steer you that way. If you must dive off the mainland, there is a harbor at Puerto Adventuras, it's about 20 min. south of town. There were two operators running out of it last time I was there. If you want to dive a Cenote, Doing it on your last day of diving gets more salt off your gear than rinsing it. Enjoy!

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1084
BenR
Posted 6/20/2009 10:04 PM (#384765 - in reply to #384757)

Thanks, we are taking the ferry to dive(my buddies have a boat they like to take), but I am actually staying at puerto aventuras... hoping to jump a good fishing boat..thanks for the insight..I am really looking forward to the trip...
Tackle Industries
Posted 6/20/2009 10:11 PM (#384766 - in reply to #384765)

Its fun to scuba or snorkel in musky and bass waters. I have went out a few time in MN on lake Waconia and you get to see a lot as long as the lake is clear"ish". As for your trip, my wife and I went to the Moon Palace in Playa a while back. Good times! Have fun.
James
eric001
Posted 6/20/2009 10:29 PM (#384769 - in reply to #384766)

ive done some diving in Wi in clear lakes and its a blast to see the fish in theyre natural environment, especially when you see the large pike/muskie suspended just out side of fishcribs, its neat the fish are stacked with bait in the crib, bass patroling the perimiter and the pike/ski hanging out just out of side!- once when me and my bro were diving we tided a spinner bait to our weight belts and dragged them behind us, it was a blast, plus when your at 20-25' you have lots of bottom time. the neatest though was diving in superior by isle royale, the pike were huge, deffinatley an under fished area for the #'s we saw, ive done some diving in the apostle islands as well and it was neat to see the trout....... just before we moved to mn, I did some diving in keys, and I love to fish inshore and it was awsome to see red/snook/tarpon crusing minding theyre own business- I was lucky enough to see a bunch of tarpon breaking up a ball of glass minnows, then as we headed back to the boat we got to see some jew fish, ,I know they grow 500+ but &%$^ they were big, wouldnt want one thinking I was a meal- theyre mouths are like 20" across..... anyways good luck on the diving, after you get into it a bit, check out the overhead cert. then in the winter you can pull cars/sleds out from the ice- one winter I helped a salvage crew out and I made 85/hr....... never dove in mexico, so cant offer any advice but enjoy!
davep
Posted 6/23/2009 12:12 PM (#385126 - in reply to #384757)

Ben,
If you get a chance to hit Cozumel, make an attempt to hit Palancar reef. Or, Cedral Pass if you want a good chance at chasing a shark. There are tons of good reefs there. I was there last Feb/March. Lots of good video too. You will have a blast.
thescottith
Posted 6/23/2009 1:50 PM (#385151 - in reply to #385126)

I could never get certified for Scuba cause of my ears...but I snorkel alot and it's a blast, cant snorkel around the metro though cause of the water, but when I'm in Wi at a clear lake or on Lake Superior I make sure to grab the mask. I wouldnt tie on a spinner but have found crawlers or crawfish and have feed smallies....
muskie! nut
Posted 6/23/2009 2:52 PM (#385176 - in reply to #384757)

BenR wear something shiny.........
BenR
Posted 6/23/2009 6:57 PM (#385223 - in reply to #384757)

My wet suit for the lake dive here in Denver is purple,black, and chart....those are pretty good muskie colors....
jimkinner
Posted 6/24/2009 4:02 PM (#385412 - in reply to #384757)

Don't worry about Diving with muskies Ben. They are not the monsters they are made out to be. I've filmed well over a hundred of them, and never been attacked. Threatened, yes, but never touched. I've been within six inches, nose to nose. Outnumbered, outflanked,all of it. Don't let them mess with you. A good exhale, or firing a haymaker will show them you fear no fish. Many are kind of friendly, some are curious. You learn to "read" them like you would when approaching a strange dog.

Check this video. http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1084

Remember, even if you do get bit by a bass (most common Aggressor) you have a wet suit and gloves on. It won't hurt you. Not at all. Concentrate on performing your skills, Neutral bouyancy is difficult with a heavy wet suit that your not familiar with. The water will be cold, and it will seem much different than in the pool. A good trick is to pour some warm water into your wet suit before you enter the water. Have fun out there.
ClintV
Posted 6/24/2009 7:04 PM (#385442 - in reply to #384757)

Thats a very neat video. They are deffiently quite calm in their own enviroment. You would think they would get more spooked seeing as they take off if you aren't careful with your boat control.
jimkinner
Posted 6/24/2009 9:19 PM (#385488 - in reply to #384757)

Thanks Clint. It's often easy to spook them. It's a thing you learn over time. Putting fish at ease, getting close, and getting the shots. There's no book on it that I know of. You talk to other photographers. Bass are the easiest. Carp are the toughest. We learn We go, what's acceptable to them, what's not, how to get the fish to see you as a friend. It's really awesome when you begin to gain acceptance in their world.
Netman
Posted 6/25/2009 8:39 AM (#385542 - in reply to #384757)

We took are open water at Devils Lake in Baraboo and it was great because after the test they let you and your buddy cruise around the lake. I was working a weed line in about 15 ft of water and spooked this mid 30's pike who stayed about ten feet in front of us. I tried to catch-up and got just close enough to have a sudden burst of speed and gone.

Do Cuzamel for sure....I went last year and the reefs are alive and the current is so strong that you don't have to swim. The dive boat drops you off 3 miles up the current and you drift along through some great reefs. There also a tour for the wife and kids on a submarine. Kind of pricey but well worth it as the take you down and off the 1500 ft drop into the abysis.

Netman
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)