Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Rainwear? Cold Wear Bibs?

Message Subject: Best Rainwear? Cold Wear Bibs?
muskie_man
Posted 12/6/2008 8:16 PM (#348462)
Subject: Best Rainwear? Cold Wear Bibs?

Hey guys. I have been looking into bibs that are rainprof and insulated. What do you guys like? I have been looking at the bass pro shops 100 mph bibs. Thanks!
Kingfisher
Posted 12/6/2008 8:43 PM (#348466 - in reply to #348462)
Subject: RE: Best Rainwear?Cold Wear Bibs?

Cabelas Guide wear. All others have to measure up to them. They are expensive but you will have them for life. My wife and I have the complete set bibs and coats with polar fleece under . Unbelievable dryness and warmth. Yea they are a bit heavy and stiff but unbeatable for durability and staying dry in a torrential down pour. I have fished through entire days of 38 to 40 degree temps and hard rains and never got wet or cold. Hands and Feet ? Well get Ice armor gloves and Sorrel boots. Kingfisher
jackpot bay
Posted 12/6/2008 9:27 PM (#348474 - in reply to #348462)
Subject: RE: Best Rainwear? Cold Wear Bibs?

another vote for Cabelas Guidewear. One great thing about them is if you ever have trouble, or they lose their "waterproofness" you can send them back in and they will send you another, no questioned asked. Cabelas stands behind their products.
Personally, I think the insulated jackets/parkas are a bit bulky and a bit over kill unless it's 40 degee's and under. I would get the bibs and then just get a lighter waterproof shell on top to layer under. I have the bibs/parka and rarely wear the parka as it's a bit bulky and almost "too warm".
dfree
Posted 12/6/2008 9:30 PM (#348475 - in reply to #348462)
Subject: Re: Best Rainwear? Cold Wear Bibs?

I have the Bass Pro stuff, I would say that they are on the same level as the Cabelas Guide Wear. I just happened to go with Bass Pro instead of Cabelas products. I haven't had any problems with my gear at all. In previous experience Bass Pro also stands behind their product. either way you won't go wrong..

dan
esox50
Posted 12/7/2008 1:39 AM (#348499 - in reply to #348462)

Have you taken a look at Helly Hansens? The bright orange gear (comes in other colors, too) that a lot of Canadian anglers wear is most often Helly Hansen (or sometimes Mustang survival suits, different from HH). HH is what the guys on "The Deadliest Catch" wear if I'm not mistaken. If it's good enough for those guys, then it's gotta be darn good enough for us! I will be looking into a set of HHs (jacket and bibs) when I move to Canada next year. Haven't done enough research on it to tell you if their rainwear is insulated, but I want to say it's not. Just a thought.

Edited by esox50 12/8/2008 12:56 PM
WI Skis
Posted 12/7/2008 5:37 PM (#348611 - in reply to #348462)

Judging by the fact you live in KY, I am guessing that you wernt up at the Presq Isle outting this year. Well the weather was crappy almost the whole weekend. I stayed completely dry in my Cabelas Guide Series. I have the Dry Plus Series and stayed so dry I didnt even have to change to go out at night, but chose to do so anyways. In my opinion you wont be making a bad decission by going with the Cabelas Guide Series.

Peter
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/7/2008 6:08 PM (#348619 - in reply to #348462)

I think both the Cabelas and Bass Pro stuff is equal. Both companies are reputable and will stand behind there product. With that being said, I've been using the Cabelas Guidewear for years now and have been extremely happy with it. Would I give the Bass Pro stuff a try, absolutely. I've personally never heard anything bad about either. I went with the Guidewear because I've always dealt with Cabelas when ordering any new products, so I just stuck with them.
Posted 12/8/2008 12:03 PM (#348746 - in reply to #348499)

Esox50 - make sure you try the stuff in person before committing. The Helly Hanson raingear is tough and waterproof, but not very comfortable. It's like wearing full-body waders all day. Easy on/off, keeps you dry, though, and it's very easy to patch with Goop. That's why the guys on docks wear it.

Another vote for guidewear.
lambeau
Posted 12/8/2008 12:41 PM (#348755 - in reply to #348462)

my Navy and Coast Guard relatives swear by Helly Hansen raingear. i've never used it myself (i've been quite happy with my Gander TecH20), but their opinion says something to me...
http://www.hellyhansen.com/

they do offer PVC raingear - the uncomfortable "rubber suit" stuff that keeps you extremely dry and is very durable. my father-in-law wears it and likes it, but it's not easy to move in and it doesn't breathe.

they also offer the synthetic "cloth" raingear designed for racing sailboats on the ocean. i doubt you could find a better set of raingear that allows you freedom of movement than this stuff...but you'll pay through the nose for it.
bibs: on sale for $295
http://www.hellynewengland.com/product_info.php?products_id=283
jacket: on sale for $506
http://www.hellynewengland.com/product_info.php?products_id=178&osC...
esox50
Posted 12/8/2008 12:55 PM (#348758 - in reply to #348746)

Guest - 12/8/2008 12:03 PM

Esox50 - make sure you try the stuff in person before committing. The Helly Hanson raingear is tough and waterproof, but not very comfortable. It's like wearing full-body waders all day. Easy on/off, keeps you dry, though, and it's very easy to patch with Goop. That's why the guys on docks wear it.

Another vote for guidewear.

I've tried their PVC rainwear (bibs) with a Columbia fleece jacket over it in 40-50 degree weather and I was ROASTING. It's a bit odd at first since it's not "traditional" material, but I was BONE dry and grew accustomed to the material after a short while.

This isn't part of their PVC rainwear, but the price is exceptional (over 50% savings): http://www.hellyhansengear.com/Helly-Tech-HI-Vis-Jacket--71373--Spe...
Fish and Whistle
Posted 12/8/2008 1:11 PM (#348763 - in reply to #348462)

Love my Helly Hansen raingear. (NOT the heavy Deadliest catch stuff). I got the reg. raingear a little big and layer up under it so I can use it all year round. Took a long ride on lotw this fall that was like getting hit in the face with a five gallon bucket of water every 2 seconds and stayed bone dry. (You can find some decent deals on sierratradingpost.com)
shaley
Posted 12/8/2008 8:17 PM (#348826 - in reply to #348763)

I have the uninsulated Cabelas Guide Wear and just layer under it for cold weather. A buddy wears Gamehide Typhoon series insulated and hes happy. I just trust the gor tex products better than the rest.
bfunk73183
Posted 12/8/2008 11:09 PM (#348843 - in reply to #348826)

i bought insulated Field & Stream Hydroproof pants and jacket from Dicks Sporting goods for $80 lets just say this last fall i was in a down pour (basically in the shower) didnt get wet at all. upper 40 degree temps and just wore some long underwear, tshirt and a sweatshirt. stayed very warm and extremely dry. for the price you cant beat that. i looked at all the gortex stuff and its all way outta my price range. i bet even snowboarding in this stuff wouldnt be outta the question either

-brian a.
7 Fingers
Posted 12/8/2008 11:20 PM (#348844 - in reply to #348462)
Subject: RE: Best Rainwear? Cold Wear Bibs?

G U I D E W E A R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pedro
Posted 12/9/2008 7:26 AM (#348857 - in reply to #348462)

I've used the Helly Hansen for 3 year now, really durable and always keeps me dry. I don't know if they still do now, but the Ranger Boats rain gear is made by Helly Hansen. I've seen a lot of guys wearing it.
Schlagel
Posted 12/9/2008 10:50 PM (#348993 - in reply to #348857)

Cabelas Guidewear with enough room for layers underneath. If Simms ever makes bibs I'll be the first one in line to plunk down a big wad of loot for the pleasure of owning a pair.
Reelwise
Posted 12/9/2008 11:01 PM (#348995 - in reply to #348993)

I bought the cheap stuff. A $20 dollar pair of rain pants and a 50 dollar Columbia rain jacket marked down from $120. I've had both almost 2 years and I stay completely dry. I just bought a pair of bibs for 30 bucks and they work just fine too. I cant see myself paying 300 bucks for a rain suit. Yeah it may be warm, but so is wearing warm clothes under my cheap rain gear. Then again, if I had a little more extra money to waste I would buy the good stuff!
iceman35
Posted 12/10/2008 6:00 AM (#349007 - in reply to #348462)

I have bass pro 100 mph parka for about 6 years... worn it the last 2 as a letter carrier for usps... with a few lightweight layers underneith I was was warm down to below zero... look for neoprene coffs, fleece neck pieces for colder weather... cabelas has a great lineup with stuff on sale alot... check the bargain cave... I also have the bass pro extreme bibs... strech materail not cool with a beer belly...
If I was in the market fort a rain suit I'd hit cabelas...
E21 has a new rainsuit too...
kap
Posted 12/10/2008 10:04 PM (#349123 - in reply to #348462)

no doubt you can not beat rubber for staying dry. guidewear is more comfortable and breathable but it is best to hang it up and dry it out at end of day as outside material will stay damp. something to consider
muskie24/7
Posted 12/11/2008 9:02 AM (#349169 - in reply to #349123)

Hey dude, Check out bass pro, They have a browning rain suit that is on sale for half price, Its not insulated but i bought mine alittle big to put some layers underneath! It really is a great suit!
esox50
Posted 12/11/2008 9:43 AM (#349174 - in reply to #349123)

kap - 12/10/2008 10:04 PM

no doubt you can not beat rubber for staying dry. guidewear is more comfortable and breathable but it is best to hang it up and dry it out at end of day as outside material will stay damp. something to consider

Agree with that completely. I currently run Guidewear raingear and like it, but if I need it dry the next day... that can be difficult to do as it will stay damp for a while unless you have heat blowing on it (cool air from a fan typically won't cut it). Nothing worse than putting on a cold, damp rainsuit.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/11/2008 11:37 AM (#349192 - in reply to #348462)

I'm running the Gander Guide Series Tech20 Insulated stuff, which only has a season on it. The bibs and parka are warm enough with polypro and a fleece underneath where if you sit still long enough you will fall asleep. (And subsequently wind up about 30 yards off the breakline when you're supposed to be driving the boat) Warm it certainly is. So far I've not gotten soaked in the rain, but the outer layer does hold some water. I can see where driving rain might eventually soak through it, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't like how wet it gets, because the water in the cuffs soaks into whatever you have on underneath. And, there has got to be something out there that's warm, breathable, comfortable, allows you to move freely, waterproof, and won't get your butt all wet when you sit on a wet boat seat that doesn't cost several hundred dollars.
esox50
Posted 12/11/2008 12:00 PM (#349197 - in reply to #349192)

Seran wrap? Might pose problems with flexibility though... lol
jdsplasher
Posted 12/11/2008 5:58 PM (#349267 - in reply to #349197)

Cabelas Guide series W/ 200 thinsulate. Never get cold. Never get wet!!!
Spend the $$$. Get the best!
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 12/12/2008 6:45 AM (#349334 - in reply to #349267)

I was looking at the Cabelas website, it looks like the Guidewear is on sale and if your order is over $150, you can get another $30 off thru the 16th...anyway that is how I read it...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)