Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> T'd Hooks

Message Subject: T'd Hooks
RyanJoz
Posted 10/7/2008 1:49 PM (#339660)
Subject: T'd Hooks

I have many cranks and gliders and see that a lot of people T the hooks on the baits. Does this effect the hooking percentage? Is this to save the paint on the lures? When do you T hooks vs leaving them alone? I have heard if bending the hooks to leave the welded hook on the treble alone. Any info is welcome!
MuskieMike
Posted 10/7/2008 1:52 PM (#339663 - in reply to #339660)
Subject: RE: T'd Hooks

I do it on all my cranks, and Gliders. Helps a lot on baits you troll with. They seem to get hook rash the fastest.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/7/2008 2:05 PM (#339665 - in reply to #339660)
Subject: Re: T'd Hooks

I've heard the same thing about the welded hook. I do it to save the paint job, and it certainly helps a LOT, especially when you have really sharp hooks that swing up and stick in the side of the bait all of the time.
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/7/2008 2:18 PM (#339666 - in reply to #339660)
Subject: RE: T'd Hooks

I'd argue that on certain lures, it helps increase hooking %. It will widen the overall stance of the hook, which sometimes helps with really wide baits. When t-ing hooks, I also very very slightly bend the points in perpendicular to the T. This can, depending on lure and type how the hook is attached, almost eliminate hook rash as the very slight bend will keep the tips of the hook away from the lure. Some of the trolling lures that I've gotten from dudes over on St. Claire have been like this, which gave me the idea to try it on a few casting baits that I wanted to reduce hook rash on. That said, T-ing can weaken certain hooks, and doesn't equate to better hookups with all lure types, so be careful.
jasonvkop
Posted 10/7/2008 2:31 PM (#339667 - in reply to #339660)

http://www.muskyhunter.com/videotips/thooks.html
kawartha kid
Posted 10/7/2008 3:09 PM (#339672 - in reply to #339660)

The hook gets t-ed to increase hooking percentages.The points stick out more from the body to help increase the odds of putting one in a fish!
muskyhunter24
Posted 10/19/2008 2:41 PM (#341432 - in reply to #339660)

I use T'd hooks on all my walk the dog topwaters. Since these baits already have a low hooking percentage the T'd hook ups it greatly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)