Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Mr. “Musky” Oehmcke passed away

Message Subject: Mr. “Musky” Oehmcke passed away
Sunshine
Posted 12/10/2006 11:22 AM (#224767)
Subject: Mr. “Musky” Oehmcke passed away

Mr. “Musky” Oehmcke passed away

Sad news for Wisconsin fishing enthusiasts

I’ll let the Obituary notice speak for itself…….

His real name was Art Oehmcke. The nickname was a measure of respect for the man who, both professionally and in his own angling time, came as close as anyone to understanding the musky mind. "Without belaboring the point, it is reasonable to say that Oehmcke knows as much or more about muskies as a species as anyone, anywhere," wrote Jay Reed, the late outdoor writer for The Milwaukee Journal, in 1979. Years later, Reed broadened even that characterization. "They call him Mr. Musky now in these years after all the work has been done," according to Reed. "But it just as well could be Mr. Walleye or Mr. Bass or Mr. Bluegill." Oehmcke worked for the old Wisconsin Conservation Department and its successor, the state Department of Natural Resources.
Arthur A. Oehmcke died of natural causes Dec. 3 in Rice Lake. He was 93.
He grew up in the Milwaukee area, graduating from Wauwatosa High School and then the University of Wisconsin in Madison, with a major in plant ecology.
From 1941 to 1969, he directed the Woodruff Hatchery, specializing in musky propagation. That was just one of the subjects in "The Woodruff Hatchery Story," which he wrote in retirement. Oehmcke was instrumental in developing the state's musky program, including helping to design the Woodruff hatchery. Features included automatic temperature control, then a first. "He was responsible for management of 4,000 lakes and 4,000 miles of trout streams in northeastern Wisconsin from 1941 to 1969," according to information from the Oehmcke family.
Oehmcke was promoted to higher administrative posts - read desk jobs for a guy who liked to fish - last working as director of the DNR's northwest district in Spooner. He retired in 1978 after 41 years
The occasion was a chance for a little more fishing, according to Don L. Johnson, the late outdoor writer for the Milwaukee Sentinel.
"Art talks a lot," Johnson wrote. "He reels off fascinating facts about muskies; recalls times he was called upon to guide such famous anglers as Gypsy Rose Lee, Edward R. Murrow, Ted Williams, the crown prince of Norway.
"He talked to the fish, too."

"C'mon Esox masquinongy immaculatus!" Oehmcke would say. "BITE!"
Oehmcke was inducted into the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame, the National Fish Culture Hall of Fame, and the Muskies, Inc., Hall of Fame. In 1994, the Woodruff Hatchery was renamed the Art Oehmcke State Fish Hatchery in his honor.

Oehmcke is survived by Cora Oehmcke, his wife of 64 years and favorite fishing partner. Other survivors include nieces and nephews.
The funeral was held Saturday at United Methodist Church in Spooner.
sworrall
Posted 12/10/2006 12:12 PM (#224771 - in reply to #224767)
Subject: RE: Mr. “Musky” Oehmcke passed away

So passes a true Muskie Man. Thanks for the information, Sunshine. Art will be missed.
muskie! nut
Posted 12/10/2006 5:43 PM (#224787 - in reply to #224767)

I was digging through my old pictures and came across this one of Art. In 1994 he was inducted into the Muskies, Inc. Hall of Fame along with John Holte and Bill Wood. I thought I would share it with my fellow M1sters. Left to right - John, Bill, and Art.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(94mhof3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 94mhof3.jpg (24KB - 197 downloads)
Jim Stroede
Posted 12/12/2006 1:40 PM (#225088 - in reply to #224767)

I got the opportunity to meet Art this past May during the Governor's Fishing Opener held on Trego Lake. Art was a real nice guy who was super fun to talk with about the "old days" of musky fishing. He will be missed.

Jim Stroede
muskymeyer
Posted 12/12/2006 2:16 PM (#225101 - in reply to #224767)

A sad day indeed. A true poineer in Wisconsin's musky program.

He probably forgot more than most of us will ever know about the musky.

Corey Meyer
7Islands
Posted 12/13/2006 7:41 AM (#225208 - in reply to #224767)

Art was a wonderful man who made a difference in the world with his knowledge,wit,and grace.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)