Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Pre season

Message Subject: Pre season
Posted 4/12/2010 10:26 PM (#434675 - in reply to #434407)
Subject: RE: Pre season

Dude...are you a mind reader, and know when someone's lying? Or have you just never fished for BIG Pike? You don't use spinning reels.....
Tim Schmitz
Posted 4/12/2010 10:28 PM (#434676 - in reply to #434407)
Subject: Re: Pre season

I hear you cowboy about other species but after the last month and a half of putting the smack down on the eyes from red wing to raniy those skies this weekend crushing the crappies just got me all jacked up. I'd never fish for muskies out of season I don't need that kind of heat on me.
Hunter4
Posted 4/12/2010 10:37 PM (#434680 - in reply to #434407)

Guys

You do what you want. But the regs are the regs. I don't think its worth losing your fishing season. I also think you're being naive to think that Conservation officers aren't out there doing their job. Writing a ticket doesn't make them idiots. It makes them good officers. Breaking the law is not a gray area.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 4/12/2010 10:39 PM (#434681 - in reply to #434407)

IDK----the waters I generally fish have some nice pike, but anything over 35" is not all too common so lobbing giant baits with heavy gear seems amiss to me...sorry, guest, didn't catch your name,

Rick Koepke

Edited by Cowboyhannah 4/12/2010 10:40 PM
bassinbob84
Posted 4/12/2010 10:43 PM (#434682 - in reply to #434674)

Cowboyhannah - 4/12/2010 10:24 PM

A person's intentions are usually given away with their gear. A spin-cast rig with braided line is sufficient for pike fishing in most waters. These guys with big bait-casters tossing big baits that claim to be pike fishing are lying, maybe even to themselves.

so what am I supposed to do then. I only own 1 spinning rod and it's on a 7' ml loomis. that won't hold up to pike. After pike season opens I've got a few little ski baits that need to be chewed and will be tossing them on pike only lakes with a 9' 1-6oz rod. I will also have a few bass baitcasting rods with spinnerbaits, spoons, and minnow baits on my front deck. Are you saying I will be breaking 2 seasons by using bass and Muskie gear. As long as you're not trying to fish Muskie I don't see where the problem is. As for hooks with no lures I would just cast it one or two times if you are looking to see the action but wouldn't press my luck anymore than that.
promod1385
Posted 4/12/2010 11:09 PM (#434687 - in reply to #434407)

I have been so paranoid about getting caught practicing with my new musky baits I have been using a 5/8" Craftsman wrench for preseason casting practice!

I got a silly ticket 2 years ago (i had an uncased bow in a motor vehicle, which ironically is no longer illegal in MN) and if i get another game related violation in the next 3 years I will be considered a habitual offender and have my license privileges revoked for 5 years.

I plan on getting my real practice in the weekend of opener tossing some bucktails up in Ottertail County for trophy Pike!
VMS
Posted 4/12/2010 11:15 PM (#434689 - in reply to #434407)

heck...one more year and that should be done...

and...how's the casting going? by the way, I did get your PM the other day.. Open seat this summer for you.

Steve
esox911
Posted 4/13/2010 3:03 AM (#434699 - in reply to #434689)

As far as the WI.DNR is concerned--if you have musky gear in the boat--rod / lures that are typically used in fishing musky--and you are on Musky waters you have "INTENT " to fish for Musky. You will I would say in 95-100 percent of the time get a ticket in the state of WI. Don't believe it--find a Game warden and start casting that equipment and you will see--it's that simple---Call whoever you like and ask the question---In the field you will recieve a ticket.
Cast
Posted 4/13/2010 7:01 AM (#434708 - in reply to #434674)

A person's intentions are usually given away with their gear. A spin-cast rig with braided line is sufficient for pike fishing in most waters. These guys with big bait-casters tossing big baits that claim to be pike fishing are lying, maybe even to themselves.

Have you ever used a Giant Killer when fishing for pike? I wouldn't go on a northern trip without them. I can't control a Giant Killer with less than a 15-30 lb. rated musky rod.
What if you're throwing a Lindy Gator Spoon or big Len Thompson? The muskie size rod and reel is normal
Cowboyhannah
Posted 4/13/2010 7:39 AM (#434714 - in reply to #434708)

Cast - 4/13/2010 7:01 AM

Have you ever used a Giant Killer when fishing for pike? I wouldn't go on a northern trip without them. I can't control a Giant Killer with less than a 15-30 lb. rated musky rod.
What if you're throwing a Lindy Gator Spoon or big Len Thompson? The muskie size rod and reel is normal

okay, perhaps the word liar was a bit strong. I guess my point is that I do not look favorably on those guys lobbing BIG baits on HEAVY gear who are obviously musky fishing. I don't want to mistaken as one of those guys so I purposely use lighter tackle when pike fishing.
VMS
Posted 4/13/2010 8:09 AM (#434719 - in reply to #434407)

I believe he will not be on musky water guys...so....nothing is at issue here... He is a friend of mine...

Steve
Slim
Posted 4/13/2010 9:40 AM (#434735 - in reply to #434407)

Just think how many little pike you catch on supermodels during the summer.
dogboy
Posted 4/13/2010 9:51 AM (#434741 - in reply to #434407)
Subject: RE: Pre season

as a bait maker I constantly am down the road by the boat landing to test stuff out,
I live right near lake winnebago, so very very low density water,
now there isnt really a way to test baits out without hooks IMO,
kind of need the weight there to get the closest results to how its going to work.
I know there is always potential to actually have a fish hit, as ive had a few pike
over the years come out of no-where and try to smoke a pine bait, no paint, lead showing. and frankly yes, not trying for any sort of fish at all.

so, how does one go about testing his own stuff other than sneakin into the public pool? im certain the DNR would frown upon testing, as it is still casting large baits with hooks.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/13/2010 10:03 AM (#434744 - in reply to #434515)

Baby Mallard - 4/12/2010 10:39 AM

If you are just "testing the action," there is plenty of water to do that on where there is no muskies.  So, picking muskie water is pretty obvious in your intentions IMO.

These fish see so many lures over the course of a season.  Throwing lures past these fish before season is just educating the fish IMO and actually may hurt your chances on those same fish once the season is open because they have "seen it before."  Not to mention, these fish are still in pre-spawn and we don't need guys harassing these fish at this time as the spawn is a very stressful time for these fish, even if it is with no hooks.  Just my 2 cents.

So it is still legal to "target" muskies where there aren't any?

Wierd that anyone can target bass anytime they want as long as they release the fish when out of season, but there are double standards for other species such as muskie....
Herb_b
Posted 4/13/2010 11:19 AM (#434758 - in reply to #434407)

I think its best to be safe rather than sorry. Its only a few weeks of Pike season before Muskie season open so why not play it safe and use lighter Pike/Bass class tackle when on Muskie lakes? Like many have said, try to skirt the law and you may end up in trouble. Its best to just not go there IMO.
Johnnie
Posted 4/13/2010 11:34 AM (#434762 - in reply to #434758)

I shouldn't be saying this, but in court here in WI the warden must prove intent and the court says possession of an illegal fish is intent. In other words, if you do not have an out of season fish in your possession, the warden can not prove intent in court in WI. In the past, I have reported anglers throwing bucktails in early April when all game fish seasons are closed. The wardens said they could do nothing unless the angler kept an out of season fish. The angler could say he is targeting panfish. If you say you are not fishing muskies and do not have one in your possession, here in WI, they can't do a thing. This is wrong, but it is the way it is.
Baby Mallard
Posted 4/13/2010 11:42 AM (#434765 - in reply to #434758)

Actually, shutupnfish, it is illegal to target bass out of season as well, at least in MN.  It is illegal to target any species that is out of season.  Pretty simple really. 

Using muskie baits before season on non muskie water to test muskie lures out makes sense to me.  I guess I don't understand your question that well.  I would say, just make sure pike season is open before doing so though, otherwise they may nail you for fishing for pike out of season.:-)

Like someone mentioned before, do what you want.  I can't control what anyone else decides.  I know one thing, I won't be tossing any muskie lures until muskie season opens.  The fish were really beat up post-spawn last year right when the season opened, more than I can ever remember in previous years.

Edited by Baby Mallard 4/13/2010 12:07 PM
PSYS
Posted 4/13/2010 4:14 PM (#434826 - in reply to #434762)

Johnnie - 4/13/2010 11:34 AM I shouldn't be saying this, but in court here in WI the warden must prove intent and the court says possession of an illegal fish is intent. In other words, if you do not have an out of season fish in your possession, the warden can not prove intent in court in WI. In the past, I have reported anglers throwing bucktails in early April when all game fish seasons are closed. The wardens said they could do nothing unless the angler kept an out of season fish. The angler could say he is targeting panfish. If you say you are not fishing muskies and do not have one in your possession, here in WI, they can't do a thing. This is wrong, but it is the way it is.

Interesting point.

I guess I could see this being the case, as well.  I would think the gear in your hands and what's in your tackle box is reason enough to be your "intent"... but perhaps I'm mistaken?  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm surely not advocating the action of preseason musky fishing, however, I'm approx. 0.5 miles away from Lake Winnebago where I'd love to practice my casting.  I have a better chance of winning the Powerball and being bitten by a rattlesnake on the same day than I do of catching a musky from shore while practicing my casting on this lake.  Winnebago is really known for its Sheepshead.  (haha)

But the last thing I need is a large fine from the DNR.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)