Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> screw eye direction

Message Subject: screw eye direction
lambeau
Posted 3/20/2006 12:16 PM (#183306)
Subject: screw eye direction

does it matter which way the hook-holding screw-eyes sit?

they're usually lined up front-to-back on a lure, will it affect the action if they're turned sideways?
theedz155
Posted 3/20/2006 3:11 PM (#183327 - in reply to #183306)
Subject: RE: screw eye direction

I don't think it will affect the action if turned sideways, but I think it is stronger front to back. I think turning it sideways creates more leverage on it front to back.

Scott
jyoung
Posted 3/20/2006 4:02 PM (#183336 - in reply to #183306)

I definitly will mess up the action. If you take a Suick and turn any of the eyes on a 45 degree angle it screws up the action big time. One of the things I do before I tune any lure is make sure all the eyes are straight.
You should also check your eyes after a catch because a fish can put allot of leverage on a bait and can bend or turn an eye.
Fisherben
Posted 3/21/2006 12:19 PM (#183473 - in reply to #183306)

I've noticed if the screweyes aren't lined up straight(front to back) that hook rash will be severe on one side of the bait.
lambeau
Posted 3/21/2006 3:00 PM (#183499 - in reply to #183306)

the reason i ask is that if the screw-eyes were turned sideways, it would allow T'ed hooks to hang straight with 1 barb forward and 2 barbs to each side (rather than canted slightly to one side). this is due to the sideways direction of the eye on the hook relative to the third soldered on barb. if you want that third barb forward and the two barbs attached to the eyelet to the side, the eyelet has to be side-to-side...to accomplish this with a split ring between them, the screw-eye would need to be side-to-side as well.
sigh.
BALDY
Posted 3/21/2006 3:04 PM (#183502 - in reply to #183499)

Mike, I'm not sure that it would make much difference on the action of most baits. Often thought the same thing. I believe it more looks than anything.

Think I'm gonna try it on a Weagle...
dogboy
Posted 3/21/2006 4:10 PM (#183516 - in reply to #183306)

definitely "screws" with the action of most baits that I know need tuning to run right, (which is just about all of them) thats how I get a lot of cranks to troll faster is by tweaking hook hangers one way or another to prevent blowout. I know suicks are picky but there is a lot of other things to do to them that could counteract the sideways hanger.
Keep'em strait and honest!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)