Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> new trailer bunks

Reply New post
Message Subject: new trailer bunks
Allstate48
Posted 6/5/2005 6:16 PM (#149713)
Subject: new trailer bunks

We have a 165 Alumicraft boat, and trailer. We need new bottom bunks, and was wondering if anyone has used recycled plastice lumber for these? We have a recycle place that makes different sizes. I know the originals are just 2X4s covered with carpet, but these would be much smoother, I think. Thanks Doug
setme31
Posted 6/6/2005 11:38 AM (#149787 - in reply to #149713)
Subject: RE: new trailer bunks

That sounds like a good idea. The plastic won't rot like wood does. The only thing I don't know about, is the strength of recycled plastic. You may need more supports than your old wood bunks had.

Are you still going to carpet them? If so, nobody would ever know, and they will probably last longer than wood.
Allstate48
Posted 6/6/2005 4:29 PM (#149812 - in reply to #149713)

I don't think I'll need to put carpet on it. What I've seen it's gray in color,so that's alright.
setme31
Posted 6/7/2005 8:19 AM (#149900 - in reply to #149713)

How soft is the plastic-wood? Carpet will help protect your hull from scratches.
mikie
Posted 6/7/2005 12:22 PM (#149945 - in reply to #149713)

try: http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com

They are along the same idea. m
Allstate48
Posted 6/7/2005 3:36 PM (#149978 - in reply to #149713)

Thanks guys. That's just what I'm after. Mikie, have you used these? What about the hardware? Can you change the brackets on easy? Thanks everyone.
mikie
Posted 6/8/2005 6:17 AM (#150031 - in reply to #149713)

Dude, I am seriously considering buying them as replacement bunks for my 'glass bass boat (bass, that's Big a** 'ski stalker!). Certainly within price range of the wood-and-carpet variety. I have no experience with them other than what their FAQ on the webpage says, I got this further info from an e-mail response:
Mike,
Our boards will handle the load...what you will notice is the boards will slowly conform to the shape of the hull, which is a good thing. Also, the boards will not scratch the gel coat...the reason being is the gel coat is a harder material than the material our boards are made of. Lastly, by "power-loading" we are referring to the technique used by some professional bass anglers where they are in such a hurry to get up the ramp they do not hook the boat to the trailer...they load up and drive off...with our boards, if you did not hook the boat to the trailer before driving out of the lake...the boat would stay in the water...they are that slick when wet...when dry they grip the boat to help hold it in place.
Also...you will not have to "horse" your boat up on the trailer anymore...you will be able to just idle up and hook up!

Hope this helps you in your decision...let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
John Reed

Ultimate Bunk Boards
"less time making repairs...more time fishing"

hope that helps, m
MuskieMedic
Posted 6/8/2005 2:11 PM (#150075 - in reply to #149713)

Sounds like a cool product. Keep us posted if you install them.
Allstate48
Posted 6/8/2005 4:39 PM (#150093 - in reply to #149713)

I received an email today from John Reed, saying, you can cut, and carve on them just like wood. I think this is what I'll get. I'll keep everyone posted. I payed about the same price for the short boards on the sides. Thanks Doug
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)