Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Pro's....To troll or not to troll

Message Subject: Pro's....To troll or not to troll

Posted 1/13/2002 6:27 PM (#459)
Subject: Pro's....To troll or not to troll

What makes deside to troll?

Posted 1/14/2002 8:40 AM (#18913)

It's really simple. In my area, trolling is limited to only a few waters. So all of my muskie fishing is casting only.

Steve @ G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods. http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Posted 1/14/2002 10:02 PM (#18914)

Jason,

There are a couple of tell tale times when I will troll.

1) When learning a new lake where trolling is allowed, I like to throw a 1 to 2 oz. spinnerbait out about 20 to 30 feet behind the boat. Troll about 3&1/2 mph around the 5 to 10 foot break or pieces of structure. Holding the rod in your hand is a key to success with this tactic. Raising and lowering my rod tip to adjust the height at which the spinnerbait is running in the water. This is a great way to learn a lake quickly. You will find some excellent spots that you may have never fished before.

2) If I run across a large school of baitfish when I am moving from spot to spot, I will stop and troll the school of baitfish for a minimum of four passes. If I don't see anything after the fourth pass, I move on. I also do this when I happen to drift off of a piece of structure that I was casting and see baitfish on the graph.

3) When the fish are holding to the deep pods of weeds (10 to 20 feet) and I make contact with one while throwing a crankbait, I will come back through the area with a trolling pass. This has led to many multiple fish days.

4) I like to get on a piece of structure and cast out towards open water, running the bait up the edge of the piece of structure. If I contact fish doing this, then I will make a couple of trolling passes just off of the piece of structure. Chances are, there are several fish holding out there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)