Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Cliff lake

Message Subject: Cliff lake
RyanJoz
Posted 2/17/2014 8:07 PM (#692205)
Subject: Cliff lake

Anyone ever go to Cliff Lake? Me and a large group of 8 guys are looking to go up in July. I hear there are big fish, good numbers, and no pressure. Anyone else have any experience there?
Riverrat351
Posted 2/17/2014 8:15 PM (#692207 - in reply to #692205)
Subject: RE: Cliff lake

RyanJoz - 2/17/2014 8:07 PM

Anyone ever go to Cliff Lake? Me and a large group of 8 guys are looking to go up in July. I hear there are big fish, good numbers, and no pressure. Anyone else have any experience there?

So much for that! Lol
Musky Brian
Posted 2/17/2014 11:02 PM (#692242 - in reply to #692205)

I used to go there many years ago...It is a 54" size limit lake but I never understood why. I would classify it as more of a numbers/action lake. Generally you are dealing with 38-44" fish mostly...some bigger fish here and there but not really the ideal place to be expecting a great chance at 50"s...

Edited by Musky Brian 2/17/2014 11:27 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/18/2014 9:08 AM (#692286 - in reply to #692242)

It seems there is limited discussion of Cliff....here and elsewhere on the www. I think Cliff has to have some very big heavy fish, e.g., it has cisco's, whitefish and lake trout..... I just booked their outpost camp for July 27th - Aug 3rd. I'm also taking my daughter & 3 of my grandkids (group of 10). Good to hear its an action lake. Because I and the kids fish barbless, we'll just shake off those 38-44" dink's at boatside.......

Have fun!

Al
Simple Man
Posted 2/18/2014 9:10 AM (#692287 - in reply to #692205)

Ryan,

Ironically, my group is going at about the same time you are thinking of going. I would highly recommend you contact Mike Kretschmer at Lost Bay Resort. Mike is on MF frequently as well (PM him at Esox2Hart). That is who we booked through. He and his team have been outstanding throughout the process of lining up this years trip. Our group is a bit smaller than yours (4-6 as of now). We did have others intersted in going but they do not fit well with our group or the folks we hang out with up north. You know how it goes on trips to Canada....you have to ensure you have the right group chemistry or it doesnt work. One of the guys in their group is great but the other two are "know it alls" who just don't "get it" when it comes to the Canadian Fishing Experience. Therefore they got voted out of the group by majority rule. As for "big fish, good numbers, and no pressure", Mike has given us great reports so far so we anticipate a great trip. Not sure what you consider great numbers on a Canadian trip, but we all define success differently. I know of a guy who only fishes inside the borders of Illinois and mainly at the spillway in Shelbyville where Musky's seem to be in swarms. He claimed once to catching 15 fish in 2 days solely on a Hellhound. If that is what you are looking for it may be tough to achieve on Cliff, but the potential for good numbers and big fish is there for sure. Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread by rambling on about our group. Like I said, if you are serious about a trip to Canada, Cliff is a great choice and Mike will take care of you. If you make it up there the first week of July look for a black Tuffy and you will find us.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/18/2014 9:28 AM (#692293 - in reply to #692287)

Simple Man - 2/18/2014 9:10 AM

. He claimed once to catching 15 fish in 2 days solely on a Hellhound. If that is what you are looking for it may be tough to achieve on Cliff, but the potential for good numbers and big fish is there for sure. .

The most fish we ever caught in a singular day, ever, was actually on Cliff and the connecting chain of lakes probably 12 years ago or so. 21 in a day with a few tigers mixed in and several more lost. All with both of us throwing the same exact little mepps. Unfortunately I don't think one was over 42"
Simple Man
Posted 2/18/2014 9:31 AM (#692294 - in reply to #692293)

Musky Brian - 2/18/2014 9:28 AM

Simple Man - 2/18/2014 9:10 AM

. He claimed once to catching 15 fish in 2 days solely on a Hellhound. If that is what you are looking for it may be tough to achieve on Cliff, but the potential for good numbers and big fish is there for sure. .

The most fish we ever caught in a singular day, ever, was actually on Cliff and the connecting chain of lakes probably 12 years ago or so. 21 in a day with a few tigers mixed in and several more lost. All with both of us throwing the same exact little mepps. Unfortunately I don't think one was over 42"

Wow Brian! That must have been one heck of an experience. Good to know and thanks for the input! I can't wait to fish Cliff this year.
tyzep6
Posted 2/18/2014 12:09 PM (#692332 - in reply to #692205)

You guys are right no BIG fish in Cliff don't even bother.... Because if its not a 50'' muskie then it doesn't count???? Less People=More Muskies.....Oh yeah the pics are one weeks worth on Cliff

Edited by tyzep6 2/18/2014 12:15 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(m112.jpg)

(musky first 1.jpg)

(m17.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments m112.jpg (95KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments musky first 1.jpg (71KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments m17.jpg (50KB - 159 downloads)
Musky Brian
Posted 2/18/2014 2:10 PM (#692365 - in reply to #692332)

tyzep6 - 2/18/2014 12:09 PM

You guys are right no BIG fish in Cliff don't even bother.... Because if its not a 50'' muskie then it doesn't count???? Less People=More Muskies.....Oh yeah the pics are one weeks worth on Cliff

and who said that?? I said you encounter a few fish on the north side of 45" here and there...is that really such an outlandish or inaccurate assessment?
Simple Man
Posted 2/18/2014 2:15 PM (#692367 - in reply to #692332)

tyzep6 - 2/18/2014 12:09 PM

Awesome pics Tyler. We can't wait to get up there! We saw Mike again at the show in Milw. See you in July!
Simple Man
Posted 2/18/2014 2:44 PM (#692373 - in reply to #692367)

I would truly consider a single Musky of any size on any given day a success. Most days just seeing Musky makes me happy. I know a guy that constantly talks about catching "quality musky" but to me any Musky caught is "quality". Then again, he is also in the catagory of the of the guys I mentioned above that "just dont get it" when it comes to the overall Canadian experience! Last year our group only boated a couple of fish for the week, but probably saw more fish than any other previous trip....they just werent as active as we would've liked. However, we still had an absolute blast so we are confident that we will be extremely happy with our experience on Cliff. Tyler, if our group gets even one fish like the ones in your photos we will be very happy so trust me, we are not sweating the numbers of size game at all! We trust everything you have toldd us about Cliff at the shows because you fish that lake more than anyone we know. Thanks for all of the input on Cliff and keep it coming! We can't wait to get there!
Esox2hart
Posted 2/18/2014 2:46 PM (#692374 - in reply to #692205)

Ok guys....Now now... Tyzep is being sarcastic to everyone because Cliff is known for "Numbers" But a few of us know as Al said, Has big fish. A few things come into play with fishing Cliff, if you fish shallow structure 24/7 you are going to come across a lot of fish 34"-42" range as Brian said (especially throwing small pike baits). If you can handle throwing big baits and have patients to chase some hawgs that are eating Whities and Trout, well then there are some giant fish! I love Muskies as much as anyone, but am sick of people thinking that you shouldn't be proud of a fish at isn't 50" or better. Any Muskie in the net is excellent!! People don't see the publicity of big fish for a few reasons. #1 Smaller lake which it does not have 10 resorts showing you pics of giant fish and #2 the guys that have been fishing are keeping it to themselves!
Yes I do some work for the camps on the state side and love the lake! So all in all
Cliff has a big fish maybe not as many as other, Cliff has numbers of fish in the 34-42" range and "less" pressure than other muskie lakes in Ontario!! So to answer Ryanjoz questions YES to everything!! I hope this will help you and you chose the best body of water you guys are looking for! If you have any questions for me just call!!!
vegas492
Posted 2/18/2014 3:37 PM (#692385 - in reply to #692205)
Subject: Re: Cliff lake

Jeeze, Tye, you chew on that first fish after you caught it???
IAJustin
Posted 2/18/2014 6:13 PM (#692417 - in reply to #692374)

Esox2hart - 2/18/2014 2:46 PM
Cliff has a big fish maybe not as many as other, Cliff has numbers of fish in the 34-42" range and "less" pressure than other muskie lakes in Ontario!!

Huh? there are muskie lakes in Ontario with no resorts/basically no access without a spike tent and a canoe, others that are fly-in with a single cabin on the entire lake...
Muskie Bob
Posted 2/18/2014 9:36 PM (#692476 - in reply to #692205)

You may want to check with resort before attempting to take your boat up the creek that connects the chain (3) smaller lakes that are suppose to be the numbers lakes. We tried it a few times, only to find the creek too shallow or a beaver dam going across it. It may bet rather narrow to turn a larger boat around easily. good luck.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/19/2014 12:49 PM (#692532 - in reply to #692205)

Maybe we will see you there Simple Man. Look for me in my buddy's saltwater skiff.
Esox2hart
Posted 2/19/2014 1:11 PM (#692536 - in reply to #692532)

Muskie Bob you are right the creek can be weather dependent. But I think you don't need to leave Cliff for the numbers as others have stated! Look Cliff is a fun lake with numbers and some big fish! IaJustin, I said "less pressure" in meaning Cedar,Woods,Canyon,Eagle,Goon and Minaki chain. Not little lakes that 90% of people havens heard of that's all. You will still have other Muskie fisherman but that's anywhere that isn't a fly-in. Unless people have any questions about fishing or lodging I think this tread is over......
Thanks much
Simple Man
Posted 2/19/2014 2:17 PM (#692565 - in reply to #692532)

RyanJoz - 2/19/2014 12:49 PM

Maybe we will see you there Simple Man. Look for me in my buddy's saltwater skiff.

Sounds Good! I hope your group decides to pull the trigger to make the trip to Cliff. Like I said, Mike will take great care of your group! If you don't see us on the water swing by camp with a six pack and we will catch up!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)