Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Iowa Muskies Thank You!!!

Message Subject: Iowa Muskies Thank You!!!
Steve Jonesi
Posted 7/23/2004 10:45 AM (#112892)
Subject: Iowa Muskies Thank You!!!

I just got off the phone with a buddy who recieved a call from the HEAD state fisheries biologist Marion Conover.Mr. Conover was blown away by the interest in Muskies in Iowa and the 172 messages that were left on his voice mail.He said they had no idea of the interest and will now be doing some sampling next spring and taking a look at re-vamping the state stocking philosophy.Thank you for your calls and interest.We can make a difference and this proves it!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve
tuffy1
Posted 7/23/2004 10:48 AM (#112893 - in reply to #112892)
Subject: RE: Iowa Muskies Thank You!!!

That is freaking AWESOME!!! Great work guys. More playgrounds in the corn state are coming.
esoxjunkie
Posted 7/23/2004 1:46 PM (#112929 - in reply to #112893)

Good news neighbor! More muskies next door is always a good thing.

Tuffy, "the corn state" is the state just to the west of Iowa. Don't confuse them again, thanks.

Proud Husker Nation member.
GoongaMoonga
Posted 7/23/2004 2:02 PM (#112932 - in reply to #112892)

Great job by the "More Muskies" nation!

tuffy1
Posted 7/23/2004 2:34 PM (#112940 - in reply to #112932)

LOL, I get the 2 confused. The corn all seems to blend together out that way. Either way, I will get out there to help shuck some muskies.
Sorry if I offended you. I know you Iownians can be sensative.
Steve Jonesi
Posted 7/23/2004 2:42 PM (#112941 - in reply to #112892)

Hawkeye Nation vs.Husker Nation Even though I'm moving North, I'll always be a Hawkeye and bleed Black and Gold!!!!!!!!!! Steve

Too much of my skin on the Kinnick turf!
lobi
Posted 7/23/2004 3:28 PM (#112952 - in reply to #112892)

Jonesi, that is awesome news. I will probably never fish them in Iowa but very glad to hear of the progress.
ToddM
Posted 7/23/2004 8:34 PM (#112988 - in reply to #112892)

Steve, you can tak a bow of thanks for letting us know about the great fishing you have there. Iowa has alot more lakes than we realize and muskies can givethem a great bang for their buck, especially marketing them to the minnesota/wisconsin crowd in their off season.
djwilliams
Posted 7/24/2004 1:57 AM (#113008 - in reply to #112941)

Steve-
I thought we're the "Cyclone State".
Marion Conover is a great guy and has the pull to keep programs going. Lots of tiger muskie research done at the Iowa Fisheries Cooperative Unit at ISU in the early 80's, followed by tiger mortality results in the 90's, helped convince biologists of the economic advantages of a pure strain program. Hopefully, muskie will survive the yearly budget axe that is always swinging in Iowa.
Don
Schuler
Posted 7/24/2004 4:55 PM (#113046 - in reply to #112892)

It'd be great to have more muskie lakes in iowa. I live 10 minutes from Iowa but don't have any muskie lakes real close by in that state.
Mark H.
Posted 7/24/2004 9:58 PM (#113064 - in reply to #112892)

Pretty soon IA will have a better fishery than WI... It's nice to hear that some biologist have open mind and are pro active with muskies...locally we have to fight tooth and nail for every stocked fingerling we can get...
ChadG
Posted 7/25/2004 8:18 PM (#113115 - in reply to #112892)

It is definately good to get some consideration from the DNR. Cautiously optimistic would probably would be the best way to look at it now. Which is two steps better than before everyone made the calls and sent the emails. With only 8 bodies of water with muskies in them the pressure can sure get heavy at times, would be nice to get some expansion to other bodies of water to spread it out. This was huge step in the right direction for Iowa, hope we can stay in the big picture when, as DJ put it, the budget axe gets swinging around. Last year we lost some with the budget issue.
iowamusky
Posted 7/25/2004 11:08 PM (#113129 - in reply to #112892)

I think the dnr finally found out there were musky crazed fisherman in our state and that would come to the corn state to chase skies if there are quality lakes and quality fish. It will be intesting to see if they are serious or not though come budget time. Im not sure we need more lakes stocked than the ones we have not that many others that can substain a good population of fish besides rathbun in my opinion. I would just like to see more fish put in when stocked and a bigger length limit 48" would be nice. My boat and rogers have been the only boat down south fishing except the 70 bass boats in tournements every single weekend at 5:00 in the morning. Good job getting the ball rolling roger. Tracy

Edited by iowamusky 7/26/2004 8:44 AM
djwilliams
Posted 7/26/2004 12:37 AM (#113131 - in reply to #113129)

Tracy-
Is 3 Mile becoming a big fish lake? I've heard its survival #s look good. Have heard guys say they never fail to see a muskie or two while bass fishing. I'm an Atlantic grad (77), but I will trust your opinion anyway
Don
Dirt Esox
Posted 7/26/2004 8:01 AM (#113141 - in reply to #112892)

I would agree with Tracy, there aren't many more lakes we could stock that will provide a quality fishery(other than Rathbun) and we will be spreading our resources too thin if we did go that route. What we need is to beef up the existing lakes and make them as good a fishery as possible. I'd rather have a handful of really good lakes than two handfuls of mediocrity.

Also, this is just a start. To see results we need to continually keep the pressure on the DNR and always be visible.

Roger
iowamusky
Posted 7/26/2004 8:43 AM (#113143 - in reply to #112892)

Don- I don't think it is a big fish lake but a good medium size lake. The problem is muskies being new to that area as soon as they reach 40" people catch them and think they have a trophy and take them home to show them off. Same problem as big creek and plesant creek.
That is why we need a bigger size limit and more put in you will never educate enough people that they need to be released. I can't count the number of people that think im crazy for letting them go and not taking them home to eat . Tracy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)